[WIP] Rudolph Red Nose

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [WIP] Rudolph Red Nose

Post by Jenalya »

sango98 wrote:Also if this nose comes out you guys should make it wear it can be worn with the antler hat that will be really cool if that was a possibility to wear both .
As far as I know that'd require a server change, since at the moment we only have one slot for the head. Also, if you could wear something on the head and the face the same time, all the current head armor items would need to be checked if their comibined stats aren't too strong and probably have to be made weaker.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

sango98 wrote:Also if this nose comes out you guys should make it wear it can be worn with the antler hat that will be really cool if that was a possibility to wear both .
It's not possible to wear more than one piece of head armor at once.

Edit: I hate it when the page wraps.

But I'll repeat this in authorative mode: the network protocol does not support additional equipment slots. And, even if the network protocol was changed in a backward-compatible manner, it would put a difference between those with a client upgraded to support it, and those with old clients. Though this might not be a major issue since everyone uses ManaPlus ...
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
ChefChelios
Novice
Novice

Post by ChefChelios »

... :lol:
Attachments
antlerhat+rednose-icon.png
antlerhat+rednose-icon.png (489 Bytes) Viewed 3996 times
antlerhat+rednose.png
antlerhat+rednose.png (1.29 KiB) Viewed 3996 times
...und lachend stellte der Tod seine Sense beiseite und stieg auf den Mähdrescher, denn es war Krieg.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

ChefChelios wrote:... :lol:
LOL thats even better chef.
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
sango98
Novice
Novice

Post by sango98 »

Jenalya I didn't know it was gonna take so much work for that to happen Yeah a server change might even cause the game out for weeks . :? No biggie the nose just as a hat is fine too and I will still enjoy it ^^ Antler hat or not .
Thanks for the info Jenalya .
SudoPlatypus
Novice
Novice

Post by SudoPlatypus »

Last edited by SudoPlatypus on 04 Apr 2013, 01:58, edited 1 time in total.
The Mouboo was. The Mouboo is. The Mouboo ever shall be. Drop candies and rejoice.
Most leveled character: Qwerty Dragon is 99
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Qwerty Dragon wrote: So the combination of both hats (antler and nose) would not itself have an icon that would ever show up in a players backpack or bank, only the Rudolf Red Nose, and Antler hat would.

Using the magic command #rudolph would be something like a transmutation spell that first checks to see that a player is carrying the required items, an Antler hat and a Red Rudolph Nose. And the effect would be the equipping ChefChelios's antlerhat+rednose.png 1.29 KiB.
That's an interesting idea, but I don't think it's possible to equip an item that doesn't exist... So, the spell would have to consume the Antler Hat and the Red Nose and give a new combined item - and as far as I know there isn't something like an unequip trigger, so you can't revert that when unequipping. o11c, correct me if I'm wrong here.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Correct, there is no unequip. It'd be possible to have an explicit split though; or maybe have it joined in a quest and never allow the split.
SudoPlatypus
Novice
Novice

Post by SudoPlatypus »

Last edited by SudoPlatypus on 04 Apr 2013, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.
The Mouboo was. The Mouboo is. The Mouboo ever shall be. Drop candies and rejoice.
Most leveled character: Qwerty Dragon is 99
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Why not just create a new item "Antler with red nose" and an NPC which combines and splits the items?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Qwerty Dragon wrote: But if the option of appearing to wear them both were to be available, could it be accomplished by adding into the program of The Mana World the animation of the combined two items as if it were a separate item on its own, having its own png animation, and whatever coding that is required to make it appear on the sprite of the player, but just not be by clicking on an icon, but by typing in a command into chat?

And like it being a transmutation spell, could the command be that the program checks that the player has the required items for the spell to work (that being the Antler hat and the Rudolph Red Nose), and the "item" that it creates be seen on the player sprite as the antlerhat+rednose.png ChefChelios made. And if the spell has to use up the Antler hat and the Rudolph Red Nose then it could also have the effect of making replacements too (like when you use a warping towel, and it uses it up but makes a new one).

There would be no icon in players backpack to unequip the "antlerhat+rednose.hat" but it would become unequipped if the player equiped any other hat. Maybe?
There isn't such a thing like the program of The Mana World. You have the client which runs on your own machine and which only does the presentation to the player. That client communicates with the server, which runs the actual game.

When you chose to equip an item, the client sends a message to the server which contains something like "I want to equip item 123".
The server receives that message, and if the item isn't in the game database or the player doesn't have that item in the inventory, it tells the client "That's not possible." (Or maybe it ignores the message, not sure about that.)
That means you can't equip an imaginary item that isn't in your inventory and/or the database. If the item exists that client requested to be equipped, the server sends some message "Ok, your character has now equipped item 123."
Then the client can look up in some xml file where to find the correct animation to display the equipped item.

But, as o11c and Crush already said, it'd be possible to create some NPC which offers a quest to join the two items to a new item (and split it again eventually). That'd be a task for someone interested in learning about scripting and development, as it shouldn't be very difficult. :)
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Jenalya wrote: When you chose to equip an item, the client sends a message to the server which contains something like "I want to equip item 123".
The server receives that message, and if the item isn't in the game database or the player doesn't have that item in the inventory, it tells the client "That's not possible." (Or maybe it ignores the message, not sure about that.)
That means you can't equip an imaginary item that isn't in your inventory and/or the database. If the item exists that client requested to be equipped, the server sends some message "Ok, your character has now equipped item 123."
Then the client can look up in some xml file where to find the correct animation to display the equipped item.

But, as o11c and Crush already said, it'd be possible to create some NPC which offers a quest to join the two items to a new item (and split it again eventually). That'd be a task for someone interested in learning about scripting and development, as it shouldn't be very difficult. :)
Server answer that item doesnot exist if it is not in database. (at least it answers that to the @item command)
If item is in database but unreleased there is an option to set if you want the item not to be equipable in a configuration file ( maybe the combat one)

In case it can help, there is a magic spell, not available yet because it implies level3, to merge two potions (light and dark concentration potions,) into a regular one. Also the Tulim jeweller who can do similar task with rings... The heavy duty would reside again in the combining the item sprites.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Jenalya wrote: When you chose to equip an item, the client sends a message to the server which contains something like "I want to equip item 123".
Actually, items are equipped and unequipped by their index within your inventory (0 to 99).

It fails with some sort of reply if you're dead, I'm not quite sure.

It fails silently if you are talking to an NPC, berserk, or if you somehow convince your client to send a slot that doesn't exist.

Then, it tries to actually equip the item, and does a bunch of complicated checks for whether it's actually equippable, etc. and sends some sort of reply in any case.
sango98
Novice
Novice

Post by sango98 »

I like Crush's idea :D , it's kinda like how we have the Santa hat and the Santa beard hat . So Crushes idea seems the best to me because of those to hats I saw they look alike but one has a bread and the other doesn't . Plus it's more doable in the game since it's kinda been done before . :mrgreen:
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Can we make an equip item a use item? This makes me think of the scissors.