[WIP]: Crossbow

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Nami
Novice
Novice

[WIP]: Crossbow

Post by Nami »

thought we could maybe introduce a crossbow in the game, this could tie in nicely with the barbarians..We lack a variety of long-distance weapons in-game.

well here is my first draft of the crossbow icon.
Attachments
Crossbow.png
Crossbow.png (1.03 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [WIP]: Crossbow

Post by Alige »

Afaik, crossbows cannot be added to game yet. We currently can not differenciate bullets, arrows, bolts, etc...
Nami
Novice
Novice

Post by Nami »

Can't you use the same arrows for the bow, on the crossbow?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

While the crossbow icon is very good from the artistical point of view, please keep in mind that all other icons always show the full item, and not just a part of it like yours. Consistency is important when creating game graphics.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Also - keep in mind that we have lots of graphics that are actually needed for the project to go forth, without artists adding their own ideas - however good the idea may be.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Nami
Novice
Novice

Post by Nami »

Nami97 wrote:Can't you use the same arrows for the bow, on the crossbow?
Right, the thought did cross my mind, but it was extremely difficult to fit in the complexities of the shape. And this project maybe scrapped depending on if we can actually restrict it so only certain projectiles are allowed to be fired from it.
o11c wrote:Also - keep in mind that we have lots of graphics that are actually needed for the project to go forth, without artists adding their own ideas - however good the idea may be.
Yeah, I know I'm sort of firing stuff all over the place, I'm trying to keep a lid on it. :)
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Nami97 wrote:
Nami97 wrote:Can't you use the same arrows for the bow, on the crossbow?
Right, the thought did cross my mind, but it was extremely difficult to fit in the complexities of the shape. And this project maybe scrapped depending on if we can actually restrict it so only certain projectiles are allowed to be fired from it.
o11c wrote:Also - keep in mind that we have lots of graphics that are actually needed for the project to go forth, without artists adding their own ideas - however good the idea may be.
Yeah, I know I'm sort of firing stuff all over the place, I'm trying to keep a lid on it. :)
I'm happy for your enthusiam Nami :)

Crossbows fire "bolts" which are shorter and thicker than arrows, though there has been discussion on looking the other way and allow them to fire arrows, despite the inconsistency.

The only other ranged weapon we plan to find a way to release in the near future would be the desert bow and that would be after a rebalancing of the archer bow attacks.

Right now, one handed slashing, two handed slashing and polearm attacks need weapons to fit their frames. We also need 1.5 player sprite equipment fixes to fit these frames. This means all hand, chest, leg, foot equipment frames need expanded.

However, our primary efforts for art should be focused on the "Barbarians" theme for the Hunting Grounds and Village releases. Thermin and Thermin Poisonous Mine come after this in priority.

Art doesn't necessarily have to match what is requested on irc, trello and here, but images around the theme of Barbarians are where to focus attention. As far as equipment goes, headgear might be the way to go to start making equipment. Fringe objects for the Barbarian tileset are also excellent tests of your skill to get more comfortable with how they are done and aligned. As always, there is a need for various monster drops and unique reward drops.

The plan is: Removal of the rudolph and santa slime. Addition of the white and blue slime to replace them, which will have new accessories, possible particle effects and unique takes on monster skills. The wolvern is the primary new monster of the area and we plan to release a reinboo with an antlers accessory.

Other new snowland monsters are wanted, either with the use of monster accessories, image dyeing, particle effects to make new versions of old monsters interesting enough to not seem like a cheap attempt or to make a new monster from the ground up, which would probably be the biggest project I'd recommend. However, I'm mainly noting the monsters so that monster drops can be made that might match them in some way.
Current character is "Abolish".