[WIP]: Woolen Barbarian Hat

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Lizandra
Warrior
Warrior

Re: [WIP]: Woolen Barbarian Hat

Post by Lizandra »

Isn't this the correct perspective (for the icon, not the sprites)
Attachments
g3152.png
g3152.png (22.15 KiB) Viewed 1983 times

"Perspective is everything"

Level 76!

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I would have done the shading by using brighter "hairs" (brighter than the background) in the highlighted region and darker "hairs" (darker than the background) in the shadow region.

@Lizandra: The 45° perspective is of primary importance for map tiles and still of secondary importance for sprites, but unimportant for inventory icons. When you look at the other head armor icons, you will notice that most of them are from a frontal perspective.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Lizandra
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Lizandra »

Yeah,I know, but wouldn't it look better like this when you drop the item on the floor? :P

"Perspective is everything"

Level 76!

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Maybe, but the player sees the hat mainly in the inventory next to the other icons. So it's more important to have consistency with those than consistency with the map tiles.

By the way: Having a consistent graphic style is much more important than the individual quality of each graphic. Take a look at the graphics of "Zelda - a Link to the past" (SNES), for example. From a strictly technical point of view, the style is crap. No shading, no detail, boring colors, blocky tiles and a weird perspective. But it is extremely consistent in its style. Everything fits together perfectly. The end result is a game which has great art despite - or rather because of - its minimalism.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Crush wrote:I would have done the shading by using brighter "hairs" (brighter than the background) in the highlighted region and darker "hairs" (darker than the background) in the shadow region.

@Lizandra: The 45° perspective is of primary importance for map tiles and still of secondary importance for sprites, but unimportant for inventory icons. When you look at the other head armor icons, you will notice that most of them are from a frontal perspective.
We prefer a unique in-perspective icon for equipment and all items, though are willing to accept the front south facing frame or simply good enough art.
Current character is "Abolish".
Nami
Novice
Novice

Post by Nami »

@salmondine, I actually thought, like Grey, that using transparency was not good, so I stayed away from it, maybe I might venture out and use in future :) and thanks for you views...

@Lizandra, the hat I did was actually trying to follow the example you showed, however, I did decide to change it in order to save time on messing with the shading, and I found that the effect isn't as good (especially with the hairs) at your 45 degree angle, thanks for your thoughts though :)

@Crush, thanks for your contributions too, I will use this on my next attempt. :)
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,
Maybe, but the player sees the hat mainly in the inventory next to the other icons. So it's more important to have consistency with those than consistency with the map tiles.
Just to add a technical note: The items.xml file is supporting a <floor> node giving the content team the ability to setup a separate floor item sprite.
Just in case it could help in this situation.
http://doc.manasource.org/items.xml#flo ... escription

Best regards,