[CPT] Monster skull 'monster'

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

pateame

[CPT] Monster skull 'monster'

Post by pateame »

The reference used to start this concept is the "Monster Skull helmet" by Black_Don.
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... ull+helmet
Black_Don wrote:The Monster Skull Helm is made from a creature long thought to be extinct in the Mana World. It's existence has become legends only known through the story's told to small children. The creatures bones were prized for its magic absorbing abilities making for powerful armor and weapons for fighting against magic.
(...) In time I plan to make a monster based on the Skull helm.
Image (Useful for mages but quite expensive now, most fashionable than usable I think.)
Almost after 3 years Its time to bump this again.
[+] Spritesheet (86x78):
ImageImage
I wish to keep this concept simple on idle/attack and death frames, currently it just can walk (really bad).
Also would be nice to know if Black_Don is still working on TMW projects to get some help.
See you next year, Happy holidays!
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: [CPT] Monster skull 'monster'

Post by o11c »

Hm, we do need extinct creatures for the Time Travel quest ...
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
cardmaster
Novice
Novice

Post by cardmaster »

looks like a triceratops Image
half of the skull looks like :
In Game Name:
zack fair 199
Zackox
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

cardmaster wrote:looks like a triceratops Image
:? So what?
Pixel Battalion
cardmaster
Novice
Novice

Post by cardmaster »

Len wrote:
cardmaster wrote:looks like a triceratops Image
:? So what?
I dont know, just trying to act clever 0:D, plus showing how bones have to be arranged
In Game Name:
zack fair 199
Zackox
ChefChelios
Novice
Novice

Post by ChefChelios »

hi pateame,

i like this monster... it looks greate!! :D
the perspective at the side views is a bit wrong(also at black dons monster skull helmet).
Attachments
spritebones.png
spritebones.png (3.67 KiB) Viewed 5667 times
...und lachend stellte der Tod seine Sense beiseite und stieg auf den Mähdrescher, denn es war Krieg.
pateame

Post by pateame »

Not much to say because of beers in my head, but here's a simple attack sequence:
[+] Spritesheet (86x78):
ImageImage
Now, ¿What the attack is supposed to be?
A letal breath with particles?, violent kisses and bites?, intemperate insults for spammers?... I still don't know.
Thanks for feedback and suggestions, I will try to be at delirium tremens more often.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

If you need a particle effect for a possible breath attack, I volunteer to make it. I would just need the color.
pateame

Post by pateame »

@ChefChelios: Thanks for suggestions, I did a quick fix only on the back part, but horns are quite complicated for me to redraw...
Even trying to fix black_don's item I got some headache. Any help with this or with death frames will be great.
@Ali-G: I was thinking on a "dark breath" particle (using purple colors, as dark crystal pallete).
The flame/breath effect could be similar to the used on 'Fire Lizard', like a flame but purple.
I just dont know how particles works, so feel free to experiment yourself.

I did a testing version to can play with it ingame and develop it more easy, here is:
[+] .XML file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12510339/tmw/2011/donbone.xml
[+] Testing Spritesheet (86x78):
* Quick testing: Used targetCursor="medium" in monsters.xml, and used skeleton-like values on mob_db.txt, particle effects not tested yet.
* Feedback on testing: Need to use a medium/large range attack to give some space between player and monster's breath.
Currently it looks more like bitting than breathing, a test with particles is needed to can set better delay values when mouth is opened. I was thinking on draw a "Purple Haze" to replace particles, but jimmy hendrix makes me forget it.
cardmaster
Novice
Novice

Post by cardmaster »

Sorry but the back legs doesnt look connected to the hip, the shape looks like a tiger. I feel like the tail isn't looking like a skeleton's tail it looks like a full tail (meaning it doesn't look like boney tails), the monster skull looks like its for a flying animal i mean look at the beak.
it needs a spine.
In Game Name:
zack fair 199
Zackox
pateame

Post by pateame »

cardmaster wrote:Sorry but the back legs doesnt look connected to the hip, the shape looks like a tiger. I feel like the tail isn't looking like a skeleton's tail it looks like a full tail (meaning it doesn't look like boney tails), the monster skull looks like its for a flying animal i mean look at the beak.
it needs a spine.
- The hip bones are most invisible below ribs on front and back view, and side view doesn't let see all details due perspective. Ribs are across most of the body, maybe some kind of organic defense gained by evolution.
- About tail, it's just too complicated to scale all the details on pixelart size, so most of details get lost when you use few pixels and colors. It sure need a spine, but it will have the same scale-size problem than tail have, and most of details get lost on the near ribs.
If you draw me some examples of how to do it, sure I can try to draw it again.
Fantasy creatures looks horrible when you use biology against them. First, it's supposed to be a magic creature, so it doesn't need muscles or joints to can move, basically it floats in the air and keep joined by some unnatural force.
Just use your imagination and don't let science ruin your mind.