Underwater Tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Johnny
Peon
Peon

Underwater Tileset

Post by Johnny »

I know its not much or the prettiest but I suppose its a start. Its a pallette swap and modification of some Tulimshar and Hurnscald Tiles to give it an underwater appearance:

Might be too blue I dunno.
Anonymous!!!
Novice
Novice

Re: Underwater Tileset

Post by Anonymous!!! »

Johnny wrote:I know its not much or the prettiest but I suppose its a start. Its a pallette swap and modification of some Tulimshar and Hurnscald Tiles to give it an underwater appearance:

Might be too blue I dunno.
Sorry but it looks kind of more like a sunset/night tileset imo...
I suggest you make a transparent water tile to go over the map rather than redo tiles so they look like they are underwater...
Saves you some trouble. Maybe make some coral or a ship wreck etc to give it an ocean feel.
Other than that your doing well with your project and I wish you luck :)
-Nahem - My Characters in use are:
  • Nahem Image
  • Knetrin Image
  • Nullified Image
Are you up for a CHALLENGE? Yes!
Project Hurnscald
I'm currently attempting to develop an Event Arena and I'm looking for ideas!
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Anonymous!!! wrote:I suggest you make a transparent water tile to go over the map rather than redo tiles so they look like they are underwater...
Saves you some trouble.
An ambient overlay would be better for that.

As an inspiration, here are some screenshots from the 90s strategy game "X-Com: Terror from the deep" by Microprose. It's the first pixel art game with an under water theme which comes to my mind.Image

• former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Johnny
Peon
Peon

Post by Johnny »

Hmm are you talking an effect to go over the map, similar to how the swamp and sandstorm in Tulimshar are set up? An overcast to go along with the map?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Johnny wrote:Hmm are you talking an effect to go over the map, similar to how the swamp and sandstorm in Tulimshar are set up? An overcast to go along with the map?
Yes, these are ambient overlays.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Typically underwater zones do bad. It would be a good use of the ambient overlay. It is also another base for content ideas.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Hm, in complement of Crush's example, there is also Zelda Oracle Of Ages which get a really well made underwater place on the 7th level, here a map of this:
Oracle of Ages worked with a normal map(with blue-sea tiles) and a water ambient effect(which reproduced the waves forms). Even on this 16x16 game, the result was wonderful!
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect