[WIP] Katana (two handed sword)

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

[WIP] Katana (two handed sword)

Post by veryape »

I've been thinking about making a two handed sword. This will require a new sprite for attacking (I am thinking about reworking the staff sprite) and an icon. I would also want it to be holstered when you walk around with it equipped, prefferably on your back. Is this holster thing doable?

The only thing I have to show for it as of now is the icon, and that is just a fast rework of an icon alige made.

It is essentially a katana that is used twohanded, does this fit into the game?
Attachments
katana-icon.png
katana-icon.png (742 Bytes) Viewed 3720 times
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
bell chick
Novice
Novice

Re: [WIP] Katana (two handed sword)

Post by bell chick »

katanas always have curved blades. thats the ninja sword rendition. its japanese name currently escapes me. like the icon btw
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Bell Chick, what you mean is a Ninjato.

Historically, Ninja rarely used swords. They were spies and assassins and typically operated disguised as civilians, so their preferred weapons were easy to conceal or looked like everyday items. When you are disguised as a farmer and get caught sneaking around a palace wall, it's easier to explain why you have a farming tool with you than a longsword.

But historical facts don't matter to you. TMW is a fantasy game. Remember the rule-of-cool. And the image of sword-wielding Hollywood ninja dressed in black - as historically inaccurate as it might be - is definitely cool.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

Yes, also the longswords used in by samurais were curved as bell said, however pixelart and slight curvature is hard to get right, so i decided to take the style from the ninjas shorter blades and the size of samurai two handed swords.

My initial thought about the stats is that it should be good if this sword gives the wielder a bonus to evade to counter the lower defence without a shield and give a similar damage / sec as the setzer. So that we can have a fighter build that largely depends on agility for not getting hit.. I think it will team up well with the assassin gear.

Also a new twohanded sword spritesheet will open up the posibility to easily make more two-handed sword that are more in the vein of the swords that are currently in game.
Fortunato
Novice
Novice

Post by Fortunato »

Why not just call it a longsword, a claymore (I'm sure the raging warriors would love that!) or maybe more general: a broadsword? The "katana" seems a bit forced. Don't get me wrong, I don't want trash-talk your idea, just some hopefully constructive criticism.

Also, maybe this could help:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classification_of_swords

From the icon you posted, this could become pretty much any kind long or great sword. And what TMW is missing imho is some *basic* variety in weapons apart from the extraordinary kind (this is especially apparent when it comes to bows).
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

Fortunato wrote:Why not just call it a longsword, a claymore (I'm sure the raging warriors would love that!) or maybe more general: a broadsword? The "katana" seems a bit forced. Don't get me wrong, I don't want trash-talk your idea, just some hopefully constructive criticism.

Also, maybe this could help:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classification_of_swords

From the icon you posted, this could become pretty much any kind long or great sword. And what TMW is missing imho is some *basic* variety in weapons apart from the extraordinary kind (this is especially apparent when it comes to bows).
Lol, the icon i reworked was called longsword from the beginning.. And i agree, I would love to see bastard-swords.. broadswords etc.. And yes I believe that most of the stuff going into game of late might be targeted at high level players.

For my own sake I guess i see what I would like to have in game and then develop it out of self-interest, and since i mostly play my high level char it tend to be something i might find useful for my charachter.. However since i make a sprite for the fighting animatino too i hope that it will be much more easy to make other two-handed swords from now on.

Also this sword is not intended to be "the undisputable best sword in the game" or something like that, I would like it to make a new school of fighting for tanks, not just setzer + iron shield.

A big fat bastartd sword that is slow as hell and dishes out a base damage far greater than the setzer would also be a nice addition to the game, maybe a two handed sword that is designed to match the short sword would also be great. I am not making those things (at least for now) but they would sure be welcome.

This is not ment as a "hey you are a freaking idiot"-post, I just want to show how I've been thinking and basically how I got the idea.

Hopefully i will have some kind of sprites to show off soon, but it is slow and tedious work this stuff.

Best regards!
cookie monster
Novice
Novice

Post by cookie monster »

gl ape :P
karenbruce
Newly Registered User

Post by karenbruce »

Katana as ever heard is usually used by niinja's. Katana being a long sword and slim and cuts easily.

Novice

Post by Speiros02 »

I like this thread. To the point, a katana is a great idea, and would be interesting to see used. Maybe achievable from some Japanese based quest?

A name is to be chosen rather than abundant riches...Solomon's words (Pr.22:1)

[url=http://speirosmusic.tumblr.com]Speiros' music page[/url]

A.K.A "Speiros"...(not being smart...this name is speiros)

veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

Ok, work has been painfully slow since i have to do quite much schoolwork and stuff.

This is not finished by a long way but i just wanted to show what has been done so far, the sprite is based on the staff sprite so it looks quite crap atm, far too long for my liking etc.

Feel free to tinker around with it if you want to. It should work quite ok with the weapon-staff.xml, but i noticed some problems with the fighting left-stuff.. it looks like the holster is jumping right a few pixels on one of the frames.

The most pleasing thing imo is the holster-thingy, i like the idea of a different look on your char when you have different weapons, even when not fighting.. Also note not every sprite is done yet, so the omission of some sprites are not as it should be, it is just that i havn't got round to doing them yet.
Attachments

[The extension xcf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... ana#p81701

Here's my old thread on the katana ^ :D hope it helps.