SO you want to know "What & How-to" Pixel Art

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

SO you want to know "What & How-to" Pixel Art

Post by wushin »

So far one of the best introductory posts to pixel art. It has a nice explanation of pixel art and concepts with examples. I found this to be very helpful.

http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_p ... ?TID=11299

Thank you Varuna.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: SO you want to know "What & How-to" Pixel Art

Post by Cassy »

Are you guys also interested in giving advices?

I'm a total beginner in pixel art. Ok, I once changed some colors in pictures or changed tiny things, but this doesn't count. But I want to continue with this because I somehow really enjoy it. And who knows, maybe I can create something for TMW one day...

I was searching for something small and easy to start with, but also something TMW-related. So after thinking I started to create a fun hat:
Huet.png
Huet.png (1.76 KiB) Viewed 5182 times
As you can see, I put the orange Silk Robe next to the hat. That's because I don't know how to choose a fitting palette and copied the colors from the Silk Robe. Actually I didn't even have a palette, just two colors (orange and black for the outline), but then I remembered this thread. I also don't know if I used the graduation (is this the correct word?) of the colors correctly.

This was done with MS Paint.

Another thing: I'm not very happy with the hole at the top of the hat, but I'm not sure how to make it look better yet...

The hat itself is, of course, no real suggestion, just an example for beginning with pixel art.

Please give me some advices how to continue and what I should do different. Thanks!
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Biquinho wrote:Are you guys also interested in giving advices?

I'm a total beginner in pixel art. Ok, I once changed some colors in pictures or changed tiny things, but this doesn't count. But I want to continue with this because I somehow really enjoy it. And who knows, maybe I can create something for TMW one day...

I was searching for something small and easy to start with, but also something TMW-related. So after thinking I started to create a fun hat:
Huet.png
As you can see, I put the orange Silk Robe next to the hat. That's because I don't know how to choose a fitting palette and copied the colors from the Silk Robe. Actually I didn't even have a palette, just two colors (orange and black for the outline), but then I remembered this thread. I also don't know if I used the graduation (is this the correct word?) of the colors correctly.

This was done with MS Paint.

Another thing: I'm not very happy with the hole at the top of the hat, but I'm not sure how to make it look better yet...

The hat itself is, of course, no real suggestion, just an example for beginning with pixel art.

Please give me some advices how to continue and what I should do different. Thanks!
You did an ok job for a beginner. I'd like to see you make something like a flower and maybe some other wild life things You would see outside. Bolders are also nice starter things to work on. Be careful when shading and try to keep it one shade per surface area. This can be difficult when shading round objects. I'd like to see you make a cherry as well. This could help you practice your spherical shading.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Biquinho wrote:
The attachment Huet.png is no longer available
Pretty good for a first try, but what it still lacks is shading to make it appear more three-dimensional. Shading means to make those surface areas which face the light source (south-west-up in the case of TMW) brighter than those which face away from it. Here is an example how a cone is shaded:
cones-shading.jpg
cones-shading.jpg (61.54 KiB) Viewed 5166 times
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

phew... that's tougher than I thought. Thanks for you replies so far! I need to keep on trying and testing. Been trying the cherry now, not having problems with making it look round, but the 3D effect is tough. Not easy to choose the right palette and having problems with the shading. I'll show you the result soon.
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

As for the software you might want to check out GIMP (free as in free beer, and free software), or Paint.net (just free beer). They have important features (layers, better color choosing tool) that mspaint doesn't have, that makes it a lot easier to draw something.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Biquinho wrote:Been trying the cherry now, not having problems with making it look round, but the 3D effect is tough. Not easy to choose the right palette and having problems with the shading. I'll show you the result soon.
Maybe this illustration can help you (although you need to mirror it for TMW, because our light source is on the opposite side. But you can omit the cast shadow on the ground - only flying sprites cast shadows in TMW):
draw-a-sphere.jpg
draw-a-sphere.jpg (71.54 KiB) Viewed 5134 times
Source: http://pd.scisdragons.net/msart1/2011/0 ... mposition/
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Thanks again!

So here's the second try of that practising hat:
Huet(2).png
Huet(2).png (529 Bytes) Viewed 5066 times
Edit: Forgot to mention that I also received some help via PM. Without this and the posts in this topic I wouldn't have been able to create a better version.

Cherry comes soon!
Main characters:

Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

On workers day we use to offer Lily of the valley to bring every one chance and work :)
muguet.png
muguet.png (1.19 KiB) Viewed 5034 times
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Biquinho wrote:So here's the second try of that practising hat:
Well done! I wouldn't know how to further improve it.
  • NOT a game master

Korcha
Novice
Novice

Post by Korcha »

I'm a little late but: as it stands, the total color count for that hat is 12. That seems a bit excessive. The culprit? Similar hues. I'd suggest cutting back on using similar color variations. You have quite a few shades in there already that are almost identical, and all that does is rake up the color count. You could also try mixing up your palette. Just because white is compatible with gray doesn't mean gray can't have some fun with orange.

Now it stands at 5, 6 if you count the anti-alias, but I removed it, for personal preference. See with pixel art, you can get away with a lot more, with a lot less, that is, if done right. =3

But yeah, other than what was mentioned, you're on the right track, brah. Good luck!
The most active, unofficial, TMW Pixel Artist
TMW contributor? Have a vision but lack the art? In need of assistance? What the fudge are you waiting for! Drop me a PM, bro!
GPL and CC-BY-SA approved, use what you will as long as credit is given.