walking stick

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

cookie monster
Novice
Novice

walking stick

Post by cookie monster »

Sadly I do not know what sizes are needed or how to layout the final product for the pixel art, but here is my idea:

To go along with the top hat, there could also be a weapon called a walking stick. When it isn't used to fight anything, the stick would hang down from the players hand all the way to his feet. When walking, the stick would move forward and backwards, similar to how you would actually use a walking stick. When attacking something, the stick would go up in the air and uppercut the enemy with its end. It should have a damage of 20-50, but increase agility(which, with the speed skill means increase of speed). That way, it could be used by players to walk a bit quicker to places where they don't fight anything. It should be obtainable around lvl 60, using wooden planks, black dye(for the stick) and a gem of choice for the tip(the gem shouldn't affect any starts, just the look).

If somebody could lead me through how to make the pixel art for this, I could try doing it myself(I think)

I also was not sure in which section to put this post in, so if it is not supposed to be im player talk, sorry :(
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: walking stick

Post by Crush »

Moved from Player Talk to Graphics Development
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
cookie monster
Novice
Novice

Post by cookie monster »

i KNEW IT! tnx crush :D
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

This is a funny idea, though I'm not sure it'll work with the playerset.
Here you can find it:
https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-cl ... e_base.png
https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-cl ... e_base.png
cookie monster
Novice
Novice

Post by cookie monster »

with apes inspiration, i decided to try and make it myself. could somebody please take the wooden staff sprite i attached to this post and label which picture is which movement? thank you in advance.
Attachments
weapon-staff.png
weapon-staff.png (8.88 KiB) Viewed 3414 times
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

You can see what sprite is used for what movement if you take a look at the xml file. https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-cl ... -staff.xml

If you read that file it says the file is divided to different sprites that are 128 px high and wide, the first frame (upper left corner) is no 0.

Code: Select all

<action name="stand" imageset="staff">
    <animation direction="down">
      <frame index="0" offsetX="0" offsetY="32"/>
states that when you stand still facing down it will use the first frame, frame no 0.

the same goes for all other action, for example walking, sitting and attacking and in what direction.

Code: Select all

<action name="walk" imageset="staff">
    <animation direction="down">
      <sequence start="1" end="6" offsetX="0" offsetY="32" delay="75"/>
That for instance says that it will use frame 1-6 while walking and that each frame will last 75 ms.

I like to use a grid in gimp to make it easier to see it as frames, in this instance a frame with 128x128 pixels would be nice, and i also put a layer with number over each of the frames, but that is just to help me see what frame i am working on atm and what it is supposed to do.

Best of luck with the walking stick!

edit: here is a example with the frame numbers to make it easier to understand:
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
cookie monster
Novice
Novice

Post by cookie monster »

Making the stick- Baby steps

i have finished(the first draft :roll: ) of the standing positions. i don’t have the one where my character is looking left, because the stick is in the right hand and it cannot be seen from the left anyway :P
i do realise it is really monotoned, but i am trying to get ALL the shapes right before i even attempt proper colouring. any feedback will be greatly appreciated :D
Attachments
ManaPlus_Screenshot_82.png
ManaPlus_Screenshot_82.png (9.65 KiB) Viewed 3396 times
ManaPlus_Screenshot_81.png
ManaPlus_Screenshot_81.png (7.76 KiB) Viewed 3396 times
ManaPlus_Screenshot_80.png
ManaPlus_Screenshot_80.png (8.22 KiB) Viewed 3396 times
cookie monster
Novice
Novice

Post by cookie monster »

also, i just realized that i have a minecraft-themed sword under my name. does it mean something and why do some ppl have more than 1?
cookie monster
Novice
Novice

Post by cookie monster »

I re-did the standing, because i realized that people do NOT walk around with a walking stick the way i did it in my first draft. i finished the walking down animation. because there is so much progress :D i will only attach the sprite so you can test it yourself
weapon-staff.png
weapon-staff.png (10.21 KiB) Viewed 3379 times
please remember to NOT use it while having both layers saved. instead, just delete the layer with the staff and then save it.

Also, i ran into quite a bit problem. While the character is walking, his/her wrist moves from side to side. i managed to make the animation suite the wrist-movement, but if you go through a map-portal-thingi-mabobi the characters hand will continue moving, but the stick animation will reset. because of that, sometimes it looks like the stick is floating around the had, but no touching it.
Last edited by cookie monster on 07 Apr 2013, 18:41, edited 2 times in total.
cookie monster
Novice
Novice

Post by cookie monster »

if you dont have a staff, you can rename the weapon-staff to weapon-scythe and use it with a scythe :D
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Please edit your posts, you made 4 posts in a row. :)
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect