Cooking food and making meals

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Cooking food and making meals

Post by Jaxad0127 »

We were talking on IRC and cooking food and combining cooked/processed ingredients into meals came up. So, you would kill a monster, it would drop raw meat. Eating it raw would have a chance of poison (varying with the meat type). You could take it to an oven and cook it in various ways (different health amounts, results (create three steaks or 4 hamburger), etc). Then combine it with other ingredients to make meals, like steak and potatos. The meals would offer more healing per unit consumed, and could also include stat boosts and other things.

Multistage processing could also be done. Take corn, and cook the cob, or mill it into flour and use that to bake bread, tortilla, chips, etc. Take a tortilla, meat, cheese, etc, and make a burrito or enchilada.

We'd have to limit the varieties available, since there are virtually unlimited combinations, but this would add some strategy to what you take when you go leveling. Quests asking for a specific food (like mouboo steak enchilada) would be added. Cook books shouldn't be hard to add either; they'd limit what varieties the player is offered when combining ingredients.

As we add more crops and livestock the possibilities for real food (instead of sweets) would increase dramatically.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Cooking food and making meals

Post by wushin »

We keep dancing around crafts and professions. I know the skills, magic system and the server can and should be set up to do this. Simple object NPCs could be set-up where people can use this skills. (forge, loom, cooking pot, etc.) facilitated by some scripting. We keep dancing around it and suggesting it, we should do it.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

I've seen this in other games, and I really enjoyed how that worked.
We already have crafting. We already have a bakery.

/me thinks about Cinnamon Sticks from certain trees, and adding those to Water and Apples to make Apple Sauce. Add Iron Potion to make Spicy Apple Sauce, which gives a bonus to your hitpoints for a minute or two.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

This sounds fun but I have one question:
do you want to implement this serverside as well or only do this with the NPC scripting and new player variables to store the progress of the cooking skill e.g.? (Like the dailyquestpoints)

greets
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Serverside allows the client to show it under the skills tab.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Like wushin said, as actual skills would be preferred. Add a crafting tab to the dialog and put them there. Possible skills:
  • Butcher
  • Cook
  • Smelt
  • Armor
  • Tan
  • Leather
  • Weave
  • Sew
Should we limit many crafting skills a character can have, to force interaction with other players?
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

I like the idea of 3 as a limit. It makes you want to level alts as well if we limit recipes or skill levels to the level of a char.
Sanity
Peon
Peon

Post by Sanity »

Crafting definitely needs to be expanded a whole lot. Cooking should be a part of it. I'm all for this :!:

The ingredients dropped by monsters / otherwise obtained should vary in quality, and high skills should be required to work with high quality materials and craft high quality items.

In general, every item in game, except artifact-level items and uniques should be in the end craftable by players, and possibly improve-able (enchant, sharpen, increase/decrease weight, encrust gems, paint, embroider family crest, rename, etc etc etc)
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Sanity wrote:The ingredients dropped by monsters / otherwise obtained should vary in quality, and high skills should be required to work with high quality materials and craft high quality items.
At the moment, monsters can drop a maximum of 8 items. As we move things from drop to crafting, we'll have more available, but we're still quite limited at the moment. As the server is cleaned up and expanded, this should improve.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Professions traditionally are broken down into Gathering types and Crafting Types.

Gathering Types are like skinning, fishing, mining, etc. Currently in manaworld monsters drop what would normally be gathered (Iron Ore, Coal, Herbs, etc.) This is ok, but to level a gathering skill traditionally you need to collect Nodes (mine vein, plant, dead animal) etc. Nodes have a required skill level and improve the skill each time you find them slowly decreasing in the amount of profession xp they earn you.

Crafting Types such as smithing, alchemy, tailoring, etc. Currently in manaworld the NPCs do this through quests. This is also ok. As in most systems you need to quest to gain recipes or train at a NPC somewhere. Usually, making items levels this skill once again with xp diminishing over time for lower recipes. Typically Nodes for these are fixed and in towns or special dungeon areas (forges, labs, etc.)

Tertiary skills are often either gather/craft or a secondary skill most humans posses. Currently in manaworld the closest to these we hav eis like emotes, trade and party. Some games have first aid, cooking, fishing, hunting, etc. in this. Typically these never count towards the limit of Primary Profession skills you can have.

Gathering professions always feed the crafting professions. Sometime tertiary skills play a part but often very little.
If Gathering can feed multiple professions and crafting can also play a part in another profession as well.
example: Dye is made from herbs and used in tailoring. A herb Gathering Profession gets the needed plant, uses a Potion Making Profession to make the Dye and Finally Tailoring is needed to dye the clothing.

Current game mechanics may interfere with some gathering skills due to mob drops. Pink Petal, Iron Ore, Snake Skin, etc. The pink flower is a prime offender, as how to limit the pink petal to only herbalists.

I'd suggest a ChipChip esque spell for each gather skill.
I believe the drops from mobs can be replaced with an item you would have to be that skill to use the gather chipchip on. (Snake Hides need a tanner to make into leather, pink flower drops a pink flower which needs a herbalist to harvest, and so on.)
This way players without the skill still have something to trade and farm.

Crafting should be limited to NPC craft objects (Forge, Loom, Tanning rack, etc.) They can contain the list of recipes available to the Player. The recipes on the other hand should be in the magic file. (see parum boo and patmuploo) and the npcs only referencing the required ingredients and "spell" name. Limited by using name_of(target) to the NPC craft item will automagically limit crafting to view distance.

#WORK
Decide on profession list.
Add to world/map/db/skill_db.txt
Node Spawns & Craft Device images/
Icons for the skills in the client.
New Xp set for each skill we allow the player to have. I'm going to suggest 2 after looking into the magic xp. thus CRAFT_ONE_XP and CRAFT_TWO_XP. Which get reset to zero if you change professions.
New chipchip per each gather
New Set of spells to craft items with.
Set Npcs up to train professions and level characters.
Attachments
skill_db.txt
example skill_db.txt (real basic)
(4.35 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
items.txt
Current items ingame from item_db.txt (plus or minus)
(77.11 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Sanity
Peon
Peon

Post by Sanity »

What is skill_db.txt supposed to be ...?
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Sanity wrote:What is skill_db.txt supposed to be ...?
It contains the available skills and ties them to a pool or talent tree and groups them as well. If you notice they are the same ones (minus the crafts I added) you have in game.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

You can also do this via npc scripts.
I played around with that as well.
I didn't upload all the files as I never go it to work the way I wanted.
but the general principle is there.
The reason I went with prof drops needing to be processed is that we then can control the flow of profession drops at a single choke point making any balance efforts easier and adding drops as well.
Attachments
gather_event.txt
spawns random node.
(3.05 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
smith.txt
Creates items.
(254 Bytes) Downloaded 71 times
smelter.txt
processes profession drops.
(256 Bytes) Downloaded 67 times
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

A mixed setup, with NPCs for the bulk and pseudo-spells for gathering should work.