Pixel Art Tutorials?

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

ravenshade
Peon
Peon

Pixel Art Tutorials?

Post by ravenshade »

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has some pixel art tutorials. I'm putting together my own tileset...and I have a -65535 to my drawing skill.

Specifically, I'm looking for guidance into cliff faces/ walls and the basics at the moment. Currently...my first map looks oh so monotonous. I've only drawn about seven things...

Edit (Resized)
Attachments
Very basic sandbox map. Any critique welcome.
Very basic sandbox map. Any critique welcome.
My_First_Map.png (4.44 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Pixel Art Tutorials?

Post by Crush »

There is a number of tutorials on the bottom of our Graphic Guidelines wiki article. I especially recommend the one by Tsugumo.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
ravenshade
Peon
Peon

Post by ravenshade »

:alt-8: May have missed those! Thank you!

Anyone have any tips on choosing colours?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

ravenshade wrote:Anyone have any tips on choosing colours?
Some assorted tips:

1. Try using the Hue-Saturation-Volume color picker.
2. Both saturation and volume should never be at maximum, but not on minimum either
3. When you build a color ramp for shading, it usually looks good to have a lower saturation on the lighter shades and a higher saturation on the lower shades
4. Color temparature: Teal, cyan and blue are cold. Yellow, brown and red are warm. Purple and green are neutral and take on the temparature of their surrounding. When you create a tileset, decide if you want it to have a cold impression or a warm impression and choose your colors accordingly. Adding some cold details in a warm surrounding or warm details in a cold surrounding makes the tileset feel more alive.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
ravenshade
Peon
Peon

Post by ravenshade »

Much appreciated, I think I've taken those tips onboard already. I suspect that anything else regarding colours is going to fall down to experimentation. There is another query I have however.

Apart from the Factors of 32 are there any other tips to drawing tiles? The reason I say the factors of 32, is if i have multiple bricks *stares at path* it's hard to make them line up if they're not in positioned every 4, 8, 16, or 32 pixels. *glances at cliff.* Each 'hump' is exactly 4px across, except for some minor deviations.
Attachments
MyFirstMapv2.png
MyFirstMapv2.png (11.15 KiB) Viewed 1797 times