[WIP] Mob: Demonic Mouboo

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

[WIP] Mob: Demonic Mouboo

Post by Cassy »

This one is for the Orum and Waric follow-up quest.

Since I'm already working at this for over a week (sorry, I'm really slow, I know), it's time to at least show the basic frames of all positions:
DemonicMouboo_unfinished.png
DemonicMouboo_unfinished.png (4.03 KiB) Viewed 4109 times
It's actually just different eyes, the goatee and different color, but the shading is different from the original Mouboo (I don't understand its shading :? ).
I plan to add a smoke particle effect (thanks for the idea, wushin) so there will be one more difference.

I hope I can finish the Demonic Mouboo this week.

Muuuuh!
Btw thanks to my helper :wink:

Edit: Changed topic name because the smoke particle effect will be replaced by a fire particle effect on the Mouboo's horns.
Last edited by Cassy on 29 Jul 2013, 06:21, edited 2 times in total.
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [WIP] Mob: Demonic Mouboo and smoke particle effect

Post by Crush »

I don't want to add pressure, but when you want suggestions how to make it more demonic: You could add wings or horns. Making the ears and tail shredded could also give it a more violent and battle-hardened appearance.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
straelyn
Novice
Novice

Re: [WIP] Mob: Demonic Mouboo and smoke particle effect

Post by straelyn »

the goatee is a nice touch :)
end of line.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [WIP] Mob: Demonic Mouboo

Post by Cassy »

Not the most recent standing, but I forgot to post here after I started working with Trello :alt-8:

The shading is wrong in some frames.
Also I will add horns *looks at Crush's post* and instead of creating a smoke particle effect I will try out a fire particle effect on the horns.
DemonicMouboo.png
DemonicMouboo.png (56.41 KiB) Viewed 3962 times
Mou!
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

cody wrote:I was wondering what "37.5" pixels exactly means?
I guess people still don't know what "consistency" means... :(
straelyn
Novice
Novice

Post by straelyn »

Fixed over on trello. I did the xml so that's kind of my fault. Technically speaking, the framesizes actually were 37.5 :alt-6:
end of line.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

straelyn wrote:Fixed over on trello. I did the xml so that's kind of my fault. Technically speaking, the framesizes actually were 37.5 :alt-6:
Then technically speaking the spriteshit's size was wrong. =/

@Cassy, try to reduce the saturation of the darker colors, it creates a weird pillow-shading effect over the texture of the mouboo.
How did you create the palette of this new mouboo? From GIMP? If so, using the Hue-Saturation tool can give bad output when it's applied to a full palette.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

btw I had a lot of trouble that caused the delay, sorry :?

Besides private stuff I changed the first idea of antlers + smoke particle effect to horns + fire particle effect on the horns.
Well... I didn't enjoy the idea of using horns again (see Wicked Mushroom) so I decided to create a larger and darker version of the antlers and set those on fire.

But no, the fire particle effect on the antlers wasn't possible because the position of the antlers is different in every frame and it didn't look that great seeing fire on the antlers when the mouboo walked to the right, while the fire was above its bum when it walked to the left :D

So back to the smoke particle effect and with some advices of wushin & straelyn I think it looks good now.
straelyn also created the xml files.

Anyway the Demonic Mouboo is finished now and I'm pretty happy with it (thanks for the feedback everyone) :wink:

Main characters:

Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

I agree with Reidy here. The current pallet of this new monster is not right at all. I think you should spend some time working on that pallet before releasing it in game. I must say that you didn't choose the easiest monster to recolor. I myself have great difficulty creating a pallet for this monster.

In order to create a good pallet for this new monster, I suggest you to take a good variety of hues, a very low saturation and a small brightness contrast.

Hope this helps,
--Alige
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Well I now have four people saying it's fine as it is and two people saying it's not.
I'm really not having any problems with critism because that's exactly what I need to improve my pixel art, but with different people saying different things it's hard to find out where I stand :?

Maybe you can describe a bit more:
- is the mob right now bad?
- is the mob right now okay but not good?
- is the mob right now good but doesn't fit TMW style?
- is the mob right now fine and fitting but it can still be improved?

This will also affect what I will do:
If it's #1-3 I will work on it, if it's #4 I will focus on other things I need to do first and look at it later to improve my pixel art.

Thanks! :alt-3:
Main characters:

o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Reid, Alige: kindly shut up unless you're going to fix it.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

o11c wrote:Reid, Alige: kindly shut up unless you're going to fix it.
Kindly shut up when it's about art, I advise what is wrong on her sprite so she can fix it by self and learn, as it's what she want to do.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

o11c wrote:kindly
o11c wrote:shut up
Seems a bit contradictory, don't you think? :D
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

*gives everyone a cookie*

I'll write here since Alige already left on IRC:

Actually I understand both of you.

o11c is totally right about (potential) pixel artists leaving because of too much unnecessary critism.
I think the guideline to either fix it yourself or say your critism only when the artist asked for it is *very* important.

Well I didn't ask for critism before Reid's and Alige's posts but in this case it's fine, so don't worry.
I got to admit that besides in the last post mentioned different opinions that make me unsure how good or bad my art is there is a second point that not made me mad or something like this, but quite wondering: I would have needed this feedback 1.5 months earlier before I worked countless hours on 60 frames.
I can take it but others would be mad as hell.

Anyway, since many others told me that the Demonic Mouboo is fine as it is, I take your critism as point #4, which is "your art is fine and fitting, but look at this and that, you can learn and improve", and even though I want the Mouboo to be released as it is, I will really look at your suggestions.

So thanks and enjoy your cookies :alt-9:
Main characters:

Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

I really like it cassy :) Good Job.

regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.