Headgear

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Newest:

Ranger Hat:

With body:

With clothes and hair:
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Pauan wrote:Newest:

Ranger Hat:

With body:

With clothes and hair:
i really like your concept, but as crush said before, it could use softer shading (and just to let u know, very few people know how to use dithering properly :) )
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Ah, thank you Yosuhara. I must try harder then to perfect it, ne? :wink:

In the meantime, I have two choices:

Image Image

Which should I continue working on?
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

On a sidenote, it seems everybody likes to include 4 empty frames as is the case with our current headgear and until recently also our hairsets. This is an artifact from the time when during attack the player head rotated a bit, making it necessary to have these extra frames. However these days they can simply be left out.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Pauan wrote:Ah, thank you Yosuhara. I must try harder then to perfect it, ne? :wink:

In the meantime, I have two choices:

Image Image

Which should I continue working on?
i like the first , it's more extravagant and unusual :D and also fits greatly into desert environment
Last edited by yosuhara on 27 Sep 2006, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
VictorSan
Peon
Peon

Post by VictorSan »

Hi there, here are some previews of my hats:

Steel cap preview:

Cowboy hat preview:

Please feel free to give your opinion. I will do some work on both... is the steel cap too big?

Pauan: i like first also, the second is just too wide...

-EDIT-

I just ended the metal band (i think it could be called something like "jewelled circlet") i started... it has a gem on the front side, i hope female players like it. The model is a boy but you get the idea.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The ranger hat basically uses dithering for what it has been used in the VGA era: to substitute colors that aren't in the color palette. This technique is unnecessary in this century. When you want to use checkboard dithering to simulate additional colors you should just use another shade of color instead. But when you want to use dithering to create the illusion of a rough surface you should place the pixels much more randomly and not in a perfect checkboard pattern.

The steel cap should maybe show a little bit more of the face.

The circlet looks very nice.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Crush wrote:The ranger hat basically uses dithering for what it has been used in the VGA era: to substitute colors that aren't in the color palette. This technique is unnecessary in this century. When you want to use checkboard dithering to simulate additional colors you should just use another shade of color instead. But when you want to use dithering to create the illusion of a rough surface you should place the pixels much more randomly and not in a perfect checkboard pattern.
I understand that. However, the style guidelines say a max of five shades per color, and I already used the five shades. So either I use dithering or I go against the wiki. I decided to go against the wiki and use 6-7 shades. I noticed Modanung used that technique in a few of his projects as well... Anyways, back to work! I'll have the updated ones ready soon!
Bjørn wrote:On a sidenote, it seems everybody likes to include 4 empty frames as is the case with our current headgear and until recently also our hairsets. This is an artifact from the time when during attack the player head rotated a bit, making it necessary to have these extra frames. However these days they can simply be left out.
I merely did that because I took the Fancy Hat and used it as a template. Seeing as how it's unnecessary, I can remove those extra frames. Thank you for pointing that out! Of course, an officially made template would help a lot... :wink:

Also, VictorSan, there really were hats that wide, and even wider! Of course, you won't be seeing them nowadays, but I don't get the impression that TMW is set in the 21st century. :wink: Very well then. I will continue work on both and see how it comes out.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Maybe make a gem red? It should be more visible...

Regards.
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

So as that others don't have to go through the whole process of making their own template... I decided to post my own custom template for others to use! Here's the example .png:

Here is the template in .xcf and .psd form:
Hat-Template.xcf
Hat-Template.psd

If somebody could edit those into the first post, it would be much appreciated. :wink:
Last edited by Pauan on 30 Sep 2006, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Newest version of the Ranger Hat:

After some tweaking, I found that if I combined the two hats together, it created a pretty nice effect, so I ran with it. I still have the dead frame to finish, but I want your guys' opinions before I continue.
VxD
Peon
Peon

Post by VxD »

Pauan wrote:So as that others don't have to go through the whole process of making their own template... I decided to post my own custom template for others to use! Here's the example .png:

Why all the body, this template is not enough ?
It will be fine to etablish on the wiki guideline, the method for everyone and the good Template for the head works.
VictorSan wrote: Steel cap preview:
VictorSan, I like the color of this Steel cap but the form give me an odd feeling (just colorised) : Image

Pauan, I have tryed something with your hat, with the snake skin we could do:
the item (32x32): Image
and a test : Image

also I have done a basic (I love the classics items :D) wooden helmet.
the item (32x32) : Image

It's will be interesting and easier to format a table for present the arts here but the bbcode and html seem to be not activate on the forum.
[table]
[tr]
[th]1[/th]
[th]2[/th]
[th]3[/th]
[/tr][tr]
[td]hi[/td>]
[td]hello[/td>]
[td]hey[/td>]
[/tr][tr]
[td]bye[/td]
[td]seeyou[/td]
[td]err ?[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Edit : my template is not official, I have understood the need to have 4 empty frames for futures movements).
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

vxd wrote:
Pauan wrote:So as that others don't have to go through the whole process of making their own template... I decided to post my own custom template for others to use! Here's the example .png:

It will be fine to etablish on the wiki guideline, the method for everyone and the good Template for the head works.
I can see your point. I shall go and edit that in. :wink:
vxd wrote:Pauan, I have tryed something with your hat, with the snake skin we could do:
Aaa! Yes yes, it works great! Especially the back view... you managed to complete something I was unable to accomplish! The snake-skin looks very nice!
D2ARCHER
Novice
Novice

Post by D2ARCHER »

Pauan wrote:
vxd wrote:

I can see your point. I shall go and edit that in. :wink:
vxd wrote:Pauan, I have tryed something with your hat, with the snake skin we could do:
Aaa! Yes yes, it works great! Especially the back view... you managed to complete something I was unable to accomplish! The snake-skin looks very nice!
WOOOOOOOOOOW, VERY NICEEEEE
D2ARCHER
7X Lvl Archer And Counting

D2MAXIMOS
XX Lvl AK Hibrid Stopped at moment ^^
Tarm
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tarm »

I really really like the snakeskin helmet and the wooden with a noseguard.Although it would be better if the wooden helmet was a leather helmet with a steel band around the "bottom" and maybe also a cross shaped steel band over the top.
"I'm selfdestructive baby
But a friendly one" - Spiritual Beggars.