CC-BY-NC-SA-3.0 vs. CC-BY-SA-3.0 + GPLv2

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

CC-BY-NC-SA-3.0 vs. CC-BY-SA-3.0 + GPLv2

Post by Cassy »

*sighs*

Sorry, another thread about licences.

So Chicka-Maria, 4144 and me just had a discussion about following issue:
Chicka-Maria wanted her most recent creation to be CC BY-NC-SA-3.0, meaning
http://creativecommons.org wrote:You are free:
  • to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
  • to Remix — to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
  • Attribution — You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
  • Noncommercial — You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
  • Share Alike — If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.
However, TMW only allows CC-BY-SA-3.0 + GPLv2 - same as above except for the noncommercial use part.
Shouldn't it be fine to also allow CC-BY-NC-SA-3.0 only?

On a personal point of view:
Of course I'm not sure if I understood correctly, but to me CC-BY-NC-SA-3.0 looks fine as it seems to cover everything TMW wants.
As a pixel artist I don't care that much, but if I created music like Chicka-Maria does (actually I once did pretty much so I understand very well), I wouldn't like the idea of other people being allowed to make money with my music.

*hopes she understood*
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
Knight
Knight

Re: CC-BY-NC-SA-3.0 vs. CC-BY-SA-3.0 + GPLv2

Post by 4144 »

For me cc-by-nc look like non free license but The Mana World is free project.
Also all content in The Mana World is under GPL2 license and some or many under cc-by-sa.

And cc-by-nc without GPL for music here looks bad.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Any CC license containing "NC" and/or "ND" is not a free license. It's even against the idea of switching to the CC BY-SA 3.0 (being accessible for more peoples).
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
melkior
Warrior
Warrior

Post by melkior »

The problem is that it's not compatible with a lot of other licenses, even other CC licenses. For instance, you can't combine CC-BY-NC-SA and CC-BY-SA content. Because they are both SA (share alike) it's impossible to combine them. Any derivative works from either of those has to be published under the same/similar license, but since one of them is NC and the other isn't - you have no way out. For example, if the warlord helmet was published under CC-BY-SA and the knight helmet under CC-BY-NC-SA, and you really wanted to create an abomination by combining those two — you couldn't (never mind that such a thing shouldn't be done in the first place because it would be ugly).

Additionally, CC's definition of non-commercial is very ambiguous. And as long as it adds restrictions like that, it's not really a free license.

Look at http://freedomdefined.org/Licenses/NC for more info.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The GPL intentionally allows commercial use. It literally says so.

But due to the other rights the GPL and CC-BY-SA garant to the end-user, namely the right for unlimited redistribution under the same license, many commercial business models don't work with things under these licenses.

The GPL philosophy was always the pillar of TMW. When content creators can't accept that, then it means that they can't work for TMW.

By the way: Chicka-Maria has changed her stance and removed the non-commercial condition. So there is no reason to bash her about it.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

I was just wondering if there was a license we can use so the files would be FREE to use but for NON-commercial uses. So being able to use the files and keeping them free with no money profits involved.

Either way I'll license the music so its usable with tmw, But I'd like a license *if* possible that we can use so people cant just take the music and sell it as a soundtrack or something.

If there is a license that allows music or anything for that matter "free to use" but for non commercial use. I don't see why tmw can't use it since tmw is non-profit anyway.

regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Chicka-Maria wrote:But I'd like a license *if* possible that we can use so people cant just take the music and sell it as a soundtrack or something.
That business model wouldn't work anyway. Anybody could just offer it for download. Nobody would buy it when they can get it for free. Unless, of course, they want to support TMW. And I see nothing wrong with selling merchandise - like an official soundtrack CD - when it is used to raise funds to support TMW. And it's not like TMW is a zero-cost effort. Currently it lives of the generosity of people who pay for the hosting out of their own pocket. One day it might become necessary to find a revenue stream.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
melkior
Warrior
Warrior

Post by melkior »

That's one of the reasons why Wikipedia doesn't allow CC-BY-NC-SA content - because sometimes they use it to raise money, which technically is commercial usage. Even if they're a non-profit.

Getting permission from the authors all the time would be impossible, especially for the amount of content Wikipedia has, so they don't allow it at all. And neither should we, it's not a free license.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Our licenses are about freedom, as in free to use. Third parties can take anything we have as long as they give attribution and do with it as they please. This is very enabling to non-commercial uses.
Current character is "Abolish".
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Something that hasn't been mentioned is that if we put a "noncommercial" limitation on something, it *cannot* be shipped by major linux distros.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Btw thanks for your answers :alt-3:

From my side I missed these two points:
Crush wrote:That business model wouldn't work anyway. Anybody could just offer it for download. Nobody would buy it when they can get it for free.

melkior wrote:That's one of the reasons why Wikipedia doesn't allow CC-BY-NC-SA content - because sometimes they use it to raise money, which technically is commercial usage. Even if they're a non-profit.
Totally understand now.
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy