Quiver

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Fortunato
Novice
Novice

Quiver

Post by Fortunato »

Hi,
I'm making my first steps at creating some graphics content. I decided to start working on a quiver and had several ideas about it:

1. It could be added as a general item that is always used to carry arrows. So every archer that equips arrows, has them in a quiver. This is the simplest approach but wouldn't add more than an icon to the game.

2. A quiver could be obtainable via shop or quest as an extra item (a charm maybe or as a replacement for the usual arrow-bundles in that same slot - not sure, if that'd work codewise). The advantage could be a lowered attack delay for ranged attacks (-50 for example).

Both options can be enhanced to have the quiver visible on the back of the player. With option 1 the quiver would be visible, whenever a bow is equipped, with option 2 only if you have the item of course.

To give it a shot, I tried making an icon for a quiver item. Since it's my first attempt at pixel art, I'm sure, there's a lot to criticize - so please share your thoughts with me on this!
Attachments
Quiver_Icon_32x32.png
Quiver_Icon_32x32.png (1.17 KiB) Viewed 3142 times
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Quiver

Post by Crush »

Ragnarok Online (the game our server was actually developed for) had quivers for archer as a simple way to increase their carry capacity. Usually archers had to carry lots of arrows which was quite a burden for them, because they had low strength and thus a low weight capacity. Quivers were a simple consumable item which were converted to 100 arrows when used, but weighted less than those 100 arrows before they were used. This allowed bow-characters to carry a lot more arrows than before without returning to town all the time.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Fortunato
Novice
Novice

Post by Fortunato »

I like the idea, Crush. Also a simple yet useful approach (though physically a little implausible).

I tried to improve the form, gave it an outline and made a version that is filled. I'd still appreciate some more feedback...

I already got the suggestion to give it lighter colors and recolor the outline to a dark tone instead of black - that'd be my next step.
Attachments
Quiver2_filled_Icon_32x32.png
Quiver2_filled_Icon_32x32.png (1.25 KiB) Viewed 3071 times
Quiver2_Icon_32x32.png
Quiver2_Icon_32x32.png (1.18 KiB) Viewed 3071 times
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

I think the "use up quiver to get more arrows", but it would be also possible to:
  • Require the quiver at all in order to use bows.
  • Give a bonus to attack speed with bows but only if we are willing to cram quivers into an equip slot
Putting quiver in an equip slot is the only way it can be visible on the player sprite.

A summary of the current equip slots:

Code: Select all

51 legs
26 single-handed weapons
8 double-handed weapons
17 gloves
8 "cape"s (clover, towel, heart of isis, grimoire)
1 misc1 (wedding ring)
5 shields
17 shoes
8 misc2s (other rings, skeleton charm)
152 hats,
219 torso things, over half of which are the sorcerer's robe
5 ammos
0 leg+torso
0 leg+hat
0 torso+hat
0 torso+leg+hat
297 items that cannot be equipped
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Crush wrote:Ragnarok Online (the game our server was actually developed for) had quivers for archer as a simple way to increase their carry capacity. Usually archers had to carry lots of arrows which was quite a burden for them, because they had low strength and thus a low weight capacity. Quivers were a simple consumable item which were converted to 100 arrows when used, but weighted less than those 100 arrows before they were used. This allowed bow-characters to carry a lot more arrows than before without returning to town all the time.
Just a small remark: Depending the char level, I use to carry from 3000 to 5000 (ordinary) arrows.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Chay
Novice
Novice

Post by Chay »

Quiver is a cool idea, the concept sounds convincing. The only thing i dread is drawing it's 300 sprite frames.
There already exists a trello card for this idea btw: https://trello.com/c/9GxdjN9D
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Since I don't want this topic to get forgotton I throw in an idea I once had:

Making the quiver an useable item which gives out a random number of Arrows or Iron Arrows by using it.
Would make sense: you find a quiver and check how many and which kind of arrows are in it.

Also replacing some arrow monster drops with a quiver instead (IMO some arrow drops, like 1% from Pink Flowers, are ridiculous).
But then of course not making it buyable from shop NPCs.
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
Graf Koks
Newly Registered User

Post by Graf Koks »

Agreed, arrow drops don't make sense in most places.
Cassy wrote:Making the quiver a useable item which gives out a random number of Arrows or Iron Arrows by using it.
mmh i think bundle of arrows would be nicer for that problem, scripting the random outcome isnt problematic though.

Quiver imo should be a piece of equipment player can wear.
thusmark
Peon
Peon

Post by thusmark »

Cassy wrote: Also replacing some arrow monster drops with a quiver instead (IMO some arrow drops, like 1% from Pink Flowers, are ridiculous).
But then of course not making it buyable from shop NPCs.
+1

But i preffered o11c's idea of making the quiver an equippable item.