New ManaPlus theme - "Golden Delicious".

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

New ManaPlus theme - "Golden Delicious".

Post by Hello=) »

Warning: this is very first, preliminary release. I did some testing (at this point I use this theme for me). But it probably contains bugs/glitches I failed to notice. Due to heavy recoloring there could be some usability issues. You've been warned! Feedback welcome.

Backstory: I figured out I'm not a huge fan of themes supplied with ManaPlus. Some use color schemes I don't like, some have usability issues, some are boring or do not look nice to my taste. So I decided to make my own custom theme for ManaPlus (you know, own sh*t does not smells). Now it's mostly done so I present results of these efforts to public. Overall this theme should be okay for fantasy game(s). User interface design has been inspired by Battle for Wesnoth game, though I haven't used any parts from it. I painted virtually all UI elements myself (some few pixels possibly remain from Jewelry theme, but I changed nearly everything).
  • Credits & Thanks:
  • 4144 - for his beautiful client and a lot of help, explaining how theming works and even fixing hard-coded color in UI in process (new TABLE_BACKGROUND color) to get rid of stupid grey bar on top of players relations table.
  • Hal9000 - for his Jewelry theme. It customizes nearly all aspects of UI and serves as great example of ManaPlus UI customization. My theme uses parts of this theme. And hence also comes under CC-BY-SA license.
  • Battle for Wesonth - for some ideas on UI design for fantasy games which could look nice and in-place. While I haven't used any UI elements from BfW, overall UI appearance has been heavily inspired by BfW.
  • GIMP authors. Easy to guess why.
  • Known issues (I'm aware of these already):
  • Shortcuts bar somewhat wide to my taste and wastes screen space. Attempt to fix this has been only partial success.
  • Same goes for other elements as well. So I would not recommend this theme for phones and somesuch.
  • Colors of MP/HP/... bars aren't perfect.
  • Help browserbox colors are bad. Attempts to work it around isn't huge success so far. But who reads help, anyway?
  • In Setup window, player relations table header looks ugly due to hardcoded color. It has been fixed by 4144. In new version of ManaPlus it will look okay (tested!).
  • Lock button of chat appears below scroll button in chat if there're too many tabs. Yet this issue presents on other themes as well. Not sure if theme could work it around or not.
  • Appearance of disabled tabs and disabled checkboxes was not tested, because I don't know how to see these in game. There're none of them in UI.
How to use it: locate "themes" directory in data directory of your client and extract "golden-delicious" folder as subfolder of "themes". So "golden-delicious/*" files should be placed in same way as it happens with any other themes.

Get it here:
golden-delicious.zip
Theme (updated).
(84.09 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
...and don't forget to post feedback/ideas or make some improvements.

If everything is okay, you will be able to select "golden-delicious" in theme list. After client restart you'll see something like this:
Screenshot
Screenshot
TMW_01.png (95.12 KiB) Viewed 4308 times
Screenshot
Screenshot
TMW_03.png (1.07 MiB) Viewed 4308 times
Note: I'm not sure if I'm using right forum. But since ManaPlus is default client for TMW and this is theme for ManaPlus, I think it could be posted here as well? Feel free to move it to appropriate forum if it's not a case.
Last edited by Hello=) on 02 Dec 2013, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.
Haldric
Peon
Peon

Re: New ManaPlus theme - "Golden Delicious".

Post by Haldric »

Wow. A nice theme overall. I like dark styles themes and this one suits to my taste.
I noticed this. (see screenshot.)

It should be white font in black background. that way it can be clearly seen.
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

Haldric wrote:I noticed this. (see screenshot.)
Thanks for feedback. I don't use colors selection list so I haven't noticed that - thanks for report. Fixed colors to match rest of theme, feel free to redownload updated version from 1st message.
nelson6e65
Novice
Novice

Post by nelson6e65 »

Oh... Looks nice :D

I'll recommend this theme in http://fb.me/tmw.hispanohablantes.
The Mana World - Comunidad Hispanohablante

"When we die, we go to the same place: Soul Menhir"nelson6e65
Edit: Well... Not anymore. u.u

nelson6e65: Image
Edward Elric: Image
Edward Elric (Hagane): Image
nelson6e65
Novice
Novice

Post by nelson6e65 »

I noticed something wrong, but is my fault. :lol:
The text should be max 5 chars in icon boxes. In this case, "tecla desc."
Shortcut window
Shortcut window
ManaPlus_Screenshot_80_cut.png (323.37 KiB) Viewed 4229 times
Shortcut window resized
Shortcut window resized
ManaPlus_Screenshot_82.png (41.08 KiB) Viewed 4229 times
I need to update spanish translation of Mana+, but...

There is no way to fit the strings into icon-box?

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

nelson6e65 wrote:I noticed something wrong, but is my fault. :lol:
IIRC themes do not change anything related to fonts, etc. So I guess same issue would happen with other themes? Shortcut boxes are meant to be small.
Johanne Laliberté
Novice
Novice

Post by Johanne Laliberté »

I use the golden-delicious now and ...... I like it!!!

This is a nice and chic style theme, :)
Dream today, to see what we will do tomorrow.
Rêver aujourd'hui pour savoir ce que l'on fera demain.
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

t3st3r wrote:
nelson6e65 wrote:I noticed something wrong, but is my fault. :lol:
IIRC themes do not change anything related to fonts, etc. So I guess same issue would happen with other themes? Shortcut boxes are meant to be small.
Theme can set font and font size while theme changed. After player can manually change font size or fonts.
Johanne Laliberté
Novice
Novice

Post by Johanne Laliberté »

There are some items that we can not see clearly with this theme: The Black Scorpion Stinger (709), Sunglasses (855), Black Boots (734).
Attachments
ManaPlus_Screenshot_9 (800x568).jpg
ManaPlus_Screenshot_9 (800x568).jpg (158.23 KiB) Viewed 4085 times
Dream today, to see what we will do tomorrow.
Rêver aujourd'hui pour savoir ce que l'on fera demain.
nelson6e65
Novice
Novice

Post by nelson6e65 »

Johanne Laliberté wrote:There are some items that we can not see clearly with this theme.(...)
You can try reducing the opacity value in Visual setting.

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

4144 wrote:Theme can set font and font size while theme changed.
Wow. ManaPlus still surprises me by powerful and flexible theming. Not to mention 4144 fixed/changed a lot of stuff related to themes where it has been bugged or lacked some "good to have" features.
After player can manually change font size or fonts.
I'm still not sure if I should change font in theme. Defaults are okay (at least in English translation) and I assume default font is more or less okay for most cases (else you would get a lot of complaints, which is not a case I think). Changing this in theme can have unexpected caveats.
Johanne Laliberté wrote:There are some items that we can not see clearly with this theme: The Black Scorpion Stinger (709), Sunglasses (855), Black Boots (734).
Yeah, I've noticed some of these issues too, and the problem here is that some TMW content does not expects background could be dark. Any similar dark theme would face same issues. In fact, at least one existing ManaPlus theme (blacknblack) is likeky to face same problems. At the end of day I think it's better to change these items so they do not assume background could only be light. Most TMW items do not do such assumptions. I can try to workaround it by trying to alter color/texturing a bit, but you see, idea has been to have dark colors in many of places and it also affects other themes as well.
nelson6e65 wrote:You can try reducing the opacity value in Visual setting.
Yes, nice observation: this theme is quite okay with transparency as well. It not looks as good as opaque version but still remains "not bad".

And now some small bonus: seriously reworked version of theme. I changed window color and texturing to look less crappy, window titlebar and tabs now have rounded corners, tweaked colors here and there, etc. Also reduced padding in some places to make it more compact and fixed zillion of bugs in all places, most notably, lack of proper theming for touch-screen related controls. Also made it compatible with "future" ManaPlus version. But there is caveat: new version of theme in fact has only been tested on git version of ManaPlus and actually uses new features from this "future" GIT version. So "older" (released) versions of TMW can have some (hopefully minor) issues. Next update of ManaPlus should be okay though.

Note for 4144: I've attempted to make Makefile.am for my theme. Everyone else can safely trash Makefile.am as it's only used by build system.
golden-delicious.zip
updated theme version
(81.16 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
nelson6e65
Novice
Novice

Post by nelson6e65 »

nelson6e65 wrote:The text should be max 5 chars in icon boxes.
t3st3r wrote:
4144 wrote:Theme can set font and font size while theme changed.
Wow. ManaPlus still surprises me by powerful and flexible theming. Not to mention 4144 fixed/changed a lot of stuff related to themes where it has been bugged or lacked some "good to have" features.
After player can manually change font size or fonts.
I'm still not sure if I should change font in theme. Defaults are okay (at least in English translation) and I assume default font is more or less okay for most cases (else you would get a lot of complaints, which is not a case I think). Changing this in theme can have unexpected caveats.
Well... the default font for items shortcut text should be monospace, for max 4 char of length.

t3st3r wrote:And now some small bonus: seriously reworked version of theme. I changed window color and texturing to look less crappy, window titlebar and tabs now have rounded corners, tweaked colors here and there, etc. Also reduced padding in some places to make it more compact and fixed zillion of bugs in all places, most notably, lack of proper theming for touch-screen related controls. Also made it compatible with "future" ManaPlus version. But there is caveat: new version of theme in fact has only been tested on git version of ManaPlus and actually uses new features from this "future" GIT version. So "older" (released) versions of TMW can have some (hopefully minor) issues. Next update of ManaPlus should be okay though.
Thanks for the update... The "soft" borders looks pretty good. ^_^

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

nelson6e65 wrote:Well... the default font for items shortcut text should be monospace, for max 4 char of length.
Right now this theme uses default fonts. If you think default font should be adjusted, I guess it's rather up to 4144? After all it's just one of 8 themes so users can use 7 other themes as well. And texts should look sane in all of them I guess.
Thanks for the update... The "soft" borders looks pretty good. ^_^
Overall I've attempted to make theme I would like myself, trying to match nice appearance with reasonable usability. Looks like it worked, more or less. Though I can admit my anti-aliasing skills are quite bad and my pixel art skills aren't perfect either. Anyway it looks "not so bad" to my taste (but still, everyone is welcome to try to improve it further).

Btw, if we're about appearance, 4144 has detected if you have backgrounds enabled, this theme could look weird during server connection, etc. Especially with ManaPlus default background. If someone is unhappy about it, there is setting in F9 -> misc to disable backgrounds (theme then defines some sane background). In fact 4144 has been kind enough to add option which allows themes to disable background images. So I've used it, as this theme tends to look strange or crappy, especially with default ManaPlus bitmap. This version of theme is not going to be published here since it also needs some code change in ManaPlus and... and now it integrated into ManaPlus :mrgreen:. So with next ManaPlus release should be okay in this regard.

On side note 4144 also fixed heck a lot of various GUI glitches in all places discovered during making this theme. Most notably, weird look of botchecker window with some themes, chat lock sign below tab scrolling buttons, strange alignment of tabs in items bar, etc.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Colorwise
https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-cl ... .xml#L5559
Black Cotton Boots
image="equipment/feet/boots.png|W:#111111,222222,333333,444444,555555,aaaaaa"

https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-cl ... .xml#L2243
Black Boots
image="equipment/feet/boots.png|W:#212121"

I agree they do appear too dark on a black background.
If someone wants to submit a pull request containing color fixes. I'd accept it.
https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-cl ... /issues/40 <- Attach yer pull to this Issue.
or
https://trello.com/c/gmccmOim <- Post the new items.xml file with updated color codes here.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.