Whip Animation.

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Should I continue working?

Yes
88%
No
13%

Total votes: 24
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

New animation uploaded! Go check out the first version of the left/right whip animation! Please do bash it and criticise it, I need the information so I can improve. :wink:
ziolive
Peon
Peon

Post by ziolive »

Good anim !

So can use blur effect like that :
it's good for having less image to do and doing spectacular effect !!

and pause a little bit more when the whip is the longest

I think in this game (Jump SuperStars or castlevania etc...) or other figthing games you can have many effects for figthing effect !
Ziolive
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

Basically it's a good anim, but am I the only one finding it strange that the character wraps up the whip and hold it close to his neck each time he doesn't attack with it?
Tarm
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tarm »

BadMrBox wrote:Basically it's a good anim, but am I the only one finding it strange that the character wraps up the whip and hold it close to his neck each time he doesn't attack with it?

Ha ha!
It looks like a ear ring. :lol:

Sorry.Couldnt resist. ;)
"I'm selfdestructive baby
But a friendly one" - Spiritual Beggars.
ziolive
Peon
Peon

Post by ziolive »

Basically it's a good anim, but am I the only one finding it strange that the character wraps up the whip and hold it close to his neck each time he doesn't attack with it?
Yes, but can he let hang the whip to his foot and continu the same move and when he finish, or when he's walking, having an other picture (the actual picture when he hold it close his neck). If it's possible without coding, sure it's better.
Ziolive
Luneenia
Peon
Peon

Post by Luneenia »

pauan...IT'S SO GOOD!!! you put me to shame...*sniff* I'll get back to work on my dress sprites...after I get started on my term paper...
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

ziolive wrote:Good anim !

So can use blur effect like that :

it's good for having less image to do and doing spectacular effect !!

and pause a little bit more when the whip is the longest

I think in this game (Jump SuperStars or castlevania etc...) or other figthing games you can have many effects for figthing effect !
I do not quite get what you mean about a blur effect. I will consider, however, making the whip pause a little bit more at the end. Also, the effects will be added later, such as getting hit, and so on. For now, this is just the whip.
BadMrBox wrote:Basically it's a good anim, but am I the only one finding it strange that the character wraps up the whip and hold it close to his neck each time he doesn't attack with it?
The whip only appears when you attack. Otherwise, it's just the player, without the whip. I might talk to the development team about making a "walking-with-whip" animation.
ziolive wrote:Yes, but can he let hang the whip to his foot and continu the same move and when he finish, or when he's walking, having an other picture (the actual picture when he hold it close his neck). If it's possible without coding, sure it's better.
As said above, the animation is only for attacking. Later on, I might add some more.
Luneenia wrote:pauan...IT'S SO GOOD!!! you put me to shame...*sniff* I'll get back to work on my dress sprites...after I get started on my term paper...
Yes, you really should get to work on the dress sprite. :wink: Also, maybe this will help you to take my advice a little bit more seriously. :wink:
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

I added a second version of the whip. Please do tell me which you like better!! Once I get enough feedback, I can begin work on the animation effects, facing up, and facing down.
Master Ar2ro
Peon
Peon

Post by Master Ar2ro »

It took me quite a while to notice any differences between those two animations. Only one frame changed, right? The second one might be a bit better, but honestly since it took me so long to find the actual difference, it doesn't matter that much. But I think that the animation should be faster. Each of those frames (except the base one, when the character stands holding the whip back) should last a bit shorter.
C/C++,Java,PHP+MySQL - read more
ziolive
Peon
Peon

Post by ziolive »

Personnaly, i prefer the 1, but differences are not very visible.
Ziolive
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Yes, only one frame changed. It's the recoil, which surprisingly has a big effect. In my opinion, the recoil in the first version is very sharp, the whip curves back a lot. Although it may look nice, it's very distracting. Thus, after a while, it starts to hurt your eyes. The second frame, though not as fancy, looks nicer because it puts the emphasis on the attack and the enemies, rather than on the recoil. If you refresh the page, it makes it easier to see the difference, since the animations run in sync. I will definately consider tweaking the timing a bit more, Master Ar2ro.
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

The tip of the whip looks a little thick and rounded to me. Usually a whip tapers off, though there is sometime a cracker on the end that looks like a little tassle, as is visible in this pic.
-DAVe
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Cosmostrator wrote:The tip of the whip looks a little thick and rounded to me. Usually a whip tapers off, though there is sometime a cracker on the end that looks like a little tassle, as is visible in this pic.
-DAVe
Yes, I am aware of that. This is just the basic whip for now. After I am done, I will add all kinds of various different types. I will have skinny types, thick types, types with spikes on the end, etc. etc. So yes, do not worry, there will be a nice tapering whip. :wink: