Suggestion: Invisibility Potion (with pixel art)

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

evilmonkey
Peon
Peon

Re: Suggestion: Invisibility Potion (with pixel art)

Post by evilmonkey »

Big Crunch wrote:Thats why I suggested the short duration and loss of effect upon attack.
Good suggestion. :) This could solve the problem.
Big Crunch wrote:He's probably talking **** to me. Its ok, I know that I dont know how to do ****.
:alt-3:
evil-monkey
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

evilmonkey wrote:
o11c wrote:You're still completely ignoring the fact that this won't work ...

Please don't waste your time unless you're able to do the nasty stuff behind the scenes to make it work.
Hi o11c, are you talking to me?

You're assuming that I am unable to do the work behind the scenes. I'm currently studying a Masters in IT and am willing to contribute to this project (if allowed).
You wouldn't be the first to think they can work on TMWA. I've worked with ... probably a dozen at this point ... others who wanted to get involved in TMWA.

All of them left. Most admitted "this is way over my skill level". And the particular area we're talking about here - mob AI - scares even me.

My point is: do you *really* want to go on and on about the easy problems, then find out at the end that it's not going to happen at all? Far better to tackle the hard problem first, and if it's not possible just give up and do something *else* for the project.

I know it isn't "nice" to say this. But it needs to be said. We've lost potential contributors before because they put all their effort into something that *couldn't* go in. Don't start something unless you're sure you can finish it, or are willing to abandon it at *any* point. And if you're going to abandon something, it's usually better to abandon it earlier rather than later. Some of my code changes I've worked on for *weeks* before recognizing that they had to be abandoned. That's why I've followed a different working style since September.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Evilmonkey:

If I understand well, o1cc is just trying to say, that the sc_commands we're speaking about have been removed, and that there is no short term plan to replace them. Hence your idea is impossible to realize at the moment. So let's forget it and save our time .
We didn't pay enough attention:
upper in this thread, o11c wrote:
There isn't any *working* command, only some possible inspiration code. I don't think this is likely to get on the main server.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
evilmonkey
Peon
Peon

Post by evilmonkey »

o11c wrote:We've lost potential contributors before because they put all their effort into something that *couldn't* go in. Don't start something unless you're sure you can finish it, or are willing to abandon it at *any* point.
I see what you're saying. :) I'll try a few more ideas and then move on if they don't work. :)
evil-monkey
vquangchung
Peon
Peon

Post by vquangchung »

I agree with Cassy. It will make some quest easier a lots. You think short duration of effect is solution? No, it isn't. I can keep on using pots until I don't want invisible anymore
I am a noob
Relm
Novice
Novice

Post by Relm »

A more moderate approach to stealth could be to decrease the distance at which mobs will attack you, by, say, one or two tiles, or 50%, or something along those lines. It is already possible to some extent to "stealth" in candor, ie have the mobs not aggroed to anyone while you hide in a corner. In more complex RPGs distance is often a factor in stealth.

Edit: depending on how this aggro range variable is stored, it may be easier to apply the effect on the mob instead of a player. This could also help balance issues. But I don't know where this variable is, so...