[DIS][WIP] Training Bow

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

[DIS][WIP] Training Bow

Post by Reid »

This bow will be used in a training room of the Legion building on Artis (new tmw).
I think that I am done with the icon, although I am stuck with the sprite, I don't know how to draw the bow when the player stand/walk/sit. Should it be on its shoulder? On its back?
woodenbow.png
woodenbow.png (4.6 KiB) Viewed 4325 times
If I put the bow on the player's back I'm afraid that once we will add the quiver sprite it will look all wrong. Although, holding the bow on the players's hand is a bit ugly too...

Any ideas?
Bow-without-player.png
Bow-without-player.png (5.85 KiB) Viewed 4325 times
Bow-with-player.png
Bow-with-player.png (20.94 KiB) Viewed 4325 times
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Re: [DIS][WIP] Training Bow

Post by WildX »

Quivers would have to hold an absurd and unrealistic amount of arrows, look weird on the player's back and require to be filled up with arrows all the time. Maybe the solution is to do away with quivers entirely and introduce a new concept, such as Mana-Arrows? Shooting a bow requires the player to use up their Mana to create solid arrows that they can shoot. This is The Mana World after all, it would make sense to extend Mana usage to non-magic users as well.

TMW Team member

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

WildX wrote:Quivers would have to hold an absurd and unrealistic amount of arrows, look weird on the player's back and require to be filled up with arrows all the time. Maybe the solution is to do away with quivers entirely and introduce a new concept, such as Mana-Arrows? Shooting a bow requires the player to use up their Mana to create solid arrows that they can shoot. This is The Mana World after all, it would make sense to extend Mana usage to non-magic users as well.
Adding a mana on every words won't make them looks good. :P
Some game just doesn't care about the "unrealistic amount" part, look at the elder scroll or even GTA with their 10k ammunition for each weapon, maybe we should follow them.
Elvano shown me this: http://www.glennlroberts.com/www.tsj.ca ... le-pic.jpg
It could looks fine, what do you think?

Also, about using mana else than in magic, I believe that we can already consume some points of mana when we use a skill.
-- Ford Prefect
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

If that can fit on the sprite, then sure. Otherwise the only other solution I can think of is not having quivers.

TMW Team member

EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

I can only find a few real life pictures of it. The examples I found all look like this:

http://www.shrewbows.com/rons_linkpics/ ... quiver.JPG

Notice that unlike the picture of Elvano, the bow and arrow are in the same diagonal direction. I think it will be otherwise quite hard to walk with it, because of the weight distribution. However on the game sprite the difference between the bow and the quiver might not be too clear that way, and in that case, Elvano's picture would be better.
omatt
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by omatt »

The problem is 'stand' is not 'pause'. When you run and hit with mobs (the common hunt for an archer in tmw), you switch targets.
Then, if between you switch targets the bow replace in your back, that can be weird. You can see the bow jongle back to hand and hand to back everytime.
A little problem, or maybe not a problem. Just a habit to get.

So yes, that can be cool to has that, like when you move in town, talk with players ect, always the bow in your back.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

omatt wrote:The problem is 'stand' is not 'pause'. When you run and hit with mobs (the common hunt for an archer in tmw), you switch targets.
Then, if between you switch targets the bow replace in your back, that can be weird. You can see the bow jongle back to hand and hand to back everytime.
A little problem, or maybe not a problem. Just a habit to get.

So yes, that can be cool to has that, like when you move in town, talk with players ect, always the bow in your back.
Another problem is that when you hit (without moving), the animation does like this:
Attack frame 1, ..., n
Stand frame
Attack frame 1, ..., n
etc...
So the bow might pop up on the back of the player when he is attacking... I'm not 100% sure about this though, but this is possible if the agility is very low.

@EJ: yep, the quiver and bow on the same direction might look visually wrong... Although, we could use a darker color for the quiver.
-- Ford Prefect
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Wouldn't it be possible to modify the client so that weapons have 2 'modes'? One is the fighting modus, and the other is the walking modus. When the player is fighting, the weapon stays in the hand. And after ~20-30 seconds or so after fighting, the weapon goes to the walking modus. For bows this could mean on the back, for swords this could mean into a scabbard, etc. This does mean drawing more sprites for each weapon though :roll:
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

I've done it fast, it's not awesome but it's still better than our 10y/o arrow icon IMO.
I had some trouble on the shape of the head (and the wood part), it's not that great but at 6am I won't be able to do anything better. :) (I listen to any advice on it, I'm pretty bad on small iron objects).
Attachments
trainingarrow.png
trainingarrow.png (464 Bytes) Viewed 4238 times
-- Ford Prefect
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

EJlol wrote:Wouldn't it be possible to modify the client so that weapons have 2 'modes'? One is the fighting modus, and the other is the walking modus. When the player is fighting, the weapon stays in the hand. And after ~20-30 seconds or so after fighting, the weapon goes to the walking modus. For bows this could mean on the back, for swords this could mean into a scabbard, etc. This does mean drawing more sprites for each weapon though :roll:
I like this idea, I think this would be the best way to do it.
Reid wrote:I've done it fast, it's not awesome but it's still better than our 10y/o arrow icon IMO.
I had some trouble on the shape of the head (and the wood part), it's not that great but at 6am I won't be able to do anything better. :) (I listen to any advice on it, I'm pretty bad on small iron objects).
The tip is very shiny :? Otherwise it's good :>

TMW Team member