[REQ] Sewer Water

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

[REQ] Sewer Water

Post by Reid »

We need a sewer-water tile and its transition with the pavement ground that will be used in the sewer.
The transition should permit the player to walk on both side of the tunnel.
The transition should also mimic the wall-water transition from this tileset: https://gitlab.com/evol/clientdata/raw/ ... ckwall.png
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Re: [REQ] Sewer Water

Post by EJlol »

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

A little ground try with EJ's tiles.
The ground tile is a variation from one of IvanMorve unused tile from the Village tileset.
sewer-pipe2.png
sewer-pipe2.png (51.49 KiB) Viewed 7040 times
-- Ford Prefect
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

I see you ditched the border between the water and the floor tile. It looks better than before, though I do think a border is necessary. Have you tried making a border with the same grey palette as the floor tile? As for the water tile, I later saw I missed saw the highlight of the water in the upper right corner. I have fixed that in that in the image I posted to the forum :wink: I also think that the horizontal transition the highlight of the water is quite bad, and now that I think about it, I haven't looked how that was in the blockwall tileset, and just drew some vertical lines instead :( . That could also use some improvement in my opinion.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Here is a little update, there are mostly only some transition tiles missing and some tiles to complete now.
sewer-pipe.png
sewer-pipe.png (33.82 KiB) Viewed 6978 times
Edit: I added a map example, just to show the current progress.
Screenshot from 2016-09-14 21-03-41.png
Screenshot from 2016-09-14 21-03-41.png (70.23 KiB) Viewed 6978 times
-- Ford Prefect
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Nice update :)
Though I can't say I get a sewer feeling yet. The sewer floor is too clean. Pipes and opening holes where the water flows into the sewer are missing etc. When I have some more times I will see whether I can draw some props for it. This week I'm very busy, but next week I hopefully should have a little bit time left.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Basic water and wall are done IMO.

Think that we can/will add an overlay effect to extend the sewer effect. I opened a REQ for pipes on another thread, but feel free to contribute any kind of tiles like sewer garbage, pipes on wall or whatever, we can do a nice graphic atmosphere with that release.
Attachments
sewer-pipe.png
sewer-pipe.png (62.96 KiB) Viewed 6933 times
-- Ford Prefect
Micksha
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Micksha »

Hey there,

I tried to work a bit on the tileset, and added "diagonal" tiles, a bridge, some pipes (only lineart for now) and tried some other stuff. The missing wall tiles are found in the Artis-indoor-cellar tileset. The red-marked tiles are obsolete imo.
I will add a testmap with the discussed mapping style for sewer (minimize walkways, make everything a bit narrow but still playable).
Happy about all comments on this.
ps. the rotated floor I will fix too.

edit: add quick test map, updated tileset:
Sewage Tileset_06102016.png
Sewage Tileset_06102016.png (108.92 KiB) Viewed 6886 times
Sewage Testmap 2.png
Sewage Testmap 2.png (792.39 KiB) Viewed 6886 times
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

looking real nice. :D
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Looks very nice :D

The bridges still need some work imo. The north-south bridge is missing some depth. The west-east bridge goes a little bit up and down, while the north-south one does not have the stairs, making it look flat and boring. They also seem very delicate and weak. In a sewer I would expect one sturdy giant slab instead. Nothing fancy, does not break down, and does the job for the very few people that needs to cross the water.

Anyway, the water under the west-east bridge also looks like it does not connect very well with some of the tiles (note: not talking about the mapping error). Under the bridge I can count 5 steps in the water, while on the border it seems only 4.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

The vertical bridge lack some depth, it's usually hard to do such tiles so you could maybe use some wooden log instead of a proper bridge. (on Artis we didn't use vertical bridges for this reason! ^^).
About red marked tiles, I added some tiles for variations so they might be used later, maybe they should be greyed (or red-ed, as you did) until then though. For red squares on ground<->water transition tiles, I believe we should keep them, using only round shape could look as wrong as only using square shape. :D

Edit: ah, EJ was faster than me!
-- Ford Prefect
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

I made this before I knew Micksha actually had the same idea:

Small simple opening, giving mappers another way to add more depth to their maps.
Micksha
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Micksha »

Nice EJlol, I think it would be good idea to use that one especially for entrances too.
EDIT: Here I used EJlols Arch/entrance, I think it can be used for both purposes. Additionally I added the empty sewer tiles:
Archway_entrance_empty sewage.png
Archway_entrance_empty sewage.png (174.13 KiB) Viewed 6787 times
And here is my current archway, already tiled but only usable for this specific walkway/water width I am afraid:
archway_12102016.png
archway_12102016.png (43.6 KiB) Viewed 6812 times
EDIT: I think I managed to prepare the archway with minimum tiles, using a quite different offset:
archway_13102016.png
archway_13102016.png (55.6 KiB) Viewed 6788 times
One question I asked myself was if it is good idea to add the two lines of 15% and 30% opacity black inside the archway as you can see here. Can that be done?

Ah, and here a try to make the vertical bridge look less flat:
vertical bridge_12102016.png
vertical bridge_12102016.png (23.88 KiB) Viewed 6812 times
EDIT: finally the rearranged tileset:
Sewage Tileset_13102016_Arbeitsversion.png
Sewage Tileset_13102016_Arbeitsversion.png (119.63 KiB) Viewed 6787 times
Last edited by Micksha on 13 Oct 2016, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tileset update
Micksha
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Micksha »

Hey, here is the sewer entrance to 2nd level, to be opened by player using the wheel which could be damaged and needs repair before it works, giving a little quest and make the complete exploration of the sewer quite a task for player (as there can be more than one place that needs to be opened):
archway_opening.gif
archway_opening.gif (29.33 KiB) Viewed 6697 times
steering wheel.gif
steering wheel.gif (3.48 KiB) Viewed 6697 times
comments welcome, as usual :)
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

The Micksha wrote:Hey, here is the sewer entrance to 2nd level, to be opened by player using the wheel which could be damaged and needs repair before it works, giving a little quest and make the complete exploration of the sewer quite a task for player (as there can be more than one place that needs to be opened):
archway_opening.gif
steering wheel.gif
comments welcome, as usual :)
The animation is good to me, we will just need to adapt my wheel animation with a proper palette for the sewer (we can use the one that I made for the pipe (yes I know I need to commit/post my advancement...))
I didn't test, but would it be easy to add a stair that goes down/up behind the door?
-- Ford Prefect