[WIP] Artis accessories

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Re: [WIP] Artis accessories

Post by WildX »

I want to request a lamp post. Maybe even a couple of different kinds. It makes sense that there would be lighting in the city at night and if we're going to introduce a night/day cycle in the future it could be useful to the gameplay as well. Here's a few ideas:
Spoiler:

TMW Team member

EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

More inspiration:
This lantern is based on an version of the amsterdam lantern in 1883. During that time most lanterns were squarish in amsterdam. On top of it there is an imperial crown. The imperial crown is the same crown as the crown on top of the coats of arms of Amsterdam since 1489. The lantern itself used to be powered by gas and had to be ignited by hand every evening.
Spoiler:

Unlike that picture where he is using a ladder they actually used a very long stick to help them, but I couldn't find a good picture of it :P .
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Metal gas lamp? Technically Evol is past-middle age (invention side), we have an alchimist in town (the only magician allowed in town), he could work for using mana to light these lamp. But what about the structure? Would it fit in our town to use metal lamp?
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

I actually don't know anything about the story in Evol, so I don't know if it fits in storywise or not. When I imagine Artis, I still imagine Amsterdam around 1700-1800. And they did had the metal lamps back then. So I think it will be a good accessories. :)
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Reid wrote:Metal gas lamp? Technically Evol is past-middle age (invention side), we have an alchimist in town (the only magician allowed in town), he could work for using mana to light these lamp. But what about the structure? Would it fit in our town to use metal lamp?
I was thinking more of a medieval-style lantern lamp. Lit with candles and with a very weak light that's just enough to light the main roads and the bridges. For when we have nights I was planning to have the player equip a torch to light the darker areas if there's any way to make that work.

For the materials, maybe metal and wood like in the first picture I posted? If it doesn't work I don't see anything wrong with all metal.
EJlol wrote:I actually don't know anything about the story in Evol, so I don't know if it fits in storywise or not. When I imagine Artis, I still imagine Amsterdam around 1700-1800. And they did had the metal lamps back then. So I think it will be a good accessories. :)
I think Amsterdam is a great reference for Artis, but you got the time a bit off. Artis is more around 1500 to 1600 in the real world timeline, with magic replacing most technology.

TMW Team member

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

WildX wrote:I think Amsterdam is a great reference for Artis, but you got the time a bit off. Artis is more around 1500 to 1600 in the real world timeline, with magic replacing most technology.
Yep Amsterdam is a great reference, but I don't even think that we're around the end of the middle age... Middle age has been a great dark time for centuries and centuries, not many technology were discovered. I was thinking about antiquity or an alternative time where technology has been replaced by mana (ie: Full Metal Alchimist).

That could be a good thing to talk about, I open a new thread.
-- Ford Prefect
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

I reworked the old flowers so that we can use them in different places in the city, like some little gardens.
Attachments
accessory.png
accessory.png (19.67 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
-- Ford Prefect
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

I added the new barrels and I'm working on the large window from EJlol, everything should be pushed soon(c).
-- Ford Prefect
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Reid wrote:Really nice indeed, the barrel might be used indoor and outdoor. Also, I prefer your barrel's lid as well, would you mind to update our existing ones as well?

For the window/door, I will try to work on the iron bar, it seems to be a difficult part of this work, and I doubt that we will need to make this animated, it's not a door after all.
Something like this?
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

EJlol wrote:
Reid wrote:Really nice indeed, the barrel might be used indoor and outdoor. Also, I prefer your barrel's lid as well, would you mind to update our existing ones as well?

For the window/door, I will try to work on the iron bar, it seems to be a difficult part of this work, and I doubt that we will need to make this animated, it's not a door after all.
Something like this?
The in-depth border need to be in iron but yes, like this. :P
-- Ford Prefect
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

I'm personally done with these accessories, though, I will rapidly sum up what happened to these tileset over the last months:
- redraw the two panels from our Alpha release to fit our new wood palette,
- add ejlol's barrels and big window (yes it's a window, not a door),
- add swords, shield and cloths, etc... used in indoor shops and on the market,
- duplicate the pot according to a discussion with saweres about different light direction coming on indoor maps,
- add more tiles used on the alpha release that were good enough to stay here.
Attachments
artis-accessory-x2.png
artis-accessory-x2.png (20.78 KiB) Viewed 3845 times
artis-accessory.png
artis-accessory.png (49.85 KiB) Viewed 3845 times
-- Ford Prefect
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

I thought we had decided to stop making things look SO DAMN GOOD :P

TMW Team member

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Ah, there're some tiles still needed, diagonal windows...
-- Ford Prefect
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

As discussed on IRC, some tiles for the blacksmith house/area.
barrel_water.png
barrel_water.png (12.85 KiB) Viewed 3760 times
Artis_blacksmith_chimney.png
Artis_blacksmith_chimney.png (9.35 KiB) Viewed 3760 times
And some softly reworked branches from Len:
Those will be used on building, it will fit perfectly on the one on top of the market.
branches.png
branches.png (5.02 KiB) Viewed 3760 times
(These branches are tile-able!)
-- Ford Prefect