[WIP] Cliff Stairs

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

[WIP] Cliff Stairs

Post by Alige »

Heya folks,
I continued working on some cliff (stone) stairs and some feedback would be great!

I'd also like to say that these will not be used on Drasil Island as its a natural island, and these stairs are carved into the rock, therefore they are not natural. They will although be used in Artis map, you can check it out on the test server already!
Moreover, I'm working on small decoration plants to add between the stair steps and on the borders of the stairs, in order to make it a bit more lively. This work will soon follow.
Attachments
Cliff Stairs.png
Cliff Stairs.png (115.16 KiB) Viewed 3271 times
Micksha
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Re: [WIP] Cliff Stairs

Post by Micksha »

Hey Alige! Nice to see you on the pixels again :)

In my opinion, the stairs fit well into the cliffs concept. The only thing I could say is they still look a bit flat, perhaps you can darken the vertical part of the stairs a bit more (between the front edge and the bottom of each stairstep).
Also in test server there is a little glitch, perhaps you need to re-position the stairs here:
Alige stairs.png
Alige stairs.png (78.54 KiB) Viewed 3264 times
(see left side connection of stairs to cliff)
- Thx, Mick
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

The Micksha wrote:Also in test server there is a little glitch, perhaps you need to re-position the stairs here:
Alige stairs.png
(see left side connection of stairs to cliff)
- Thx, Mick
This was fixed, just need the restart of the test server! :D

I'll work on darkening the vertical parts of the stair steps, thanks for the feedback!!
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

It's hard to comment on them, as they already look quite nice. I personally would put the stairs a little bit more inwards the cliff, if that makes senses (in other words remove the first and the last slab, and add some shadow to the left side). I think this would make it clearer (though it's already quite clear) that the player is able to walk the stairs, and it would give the stairs more depth (= more interesting).

Are there also going to be west/east direction cliff stairs?
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

EJlol wrote:It's hard to comment on them, as they already look quite nice.
Thanks, but still a work in progress ;)
EJlol wrote:I personally would put the stairs a little bit more inwards the cliff, if that makes senses (in other words remove the first and the last slab, and add some shadow to the left side). I think this would make it clearer (though it's already quite clear) that the player is able to walk the stairs, and it would give the stairs more depth (= more interesting).
I don't think it would be a good idea. I prefer that the stairs are of the (nearly) same width as the cliff. Although, as Micksa said, darkening the vertical parts of the stair steps would add more depth. Also, a different pallet for the stairs would also help distinguish them better from the cliffs. We'll see how we do that.
EJlol wrote:Are there also going to be west/east direction cliff stairs?
Not necessary and time consuming work too. Side stairs are also much harder to understand, visually speaking.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

EJlol wrote:and add some shadow to the left side
Like that?
(You can check the progress directly from the test server, but I will keep posting updates here too.)
Attachments
ManaPlus_Screenshot_testing.themanaworld.org_2016-12-21_16-54-48_1.png
ManaPlus_Screenshot_testing.themanaworld.org_2016-12-21_16-54-48_1.png (214.23 KiB) Viewed 3226 times
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

The perspective should be ok if we limit ourself to use that stair on small chunks of cliff (e.g.: no cliffs higher than 2~3tiles high).
It's good IMO, it will force us to use some different level of cliff like we did on the Drazil island instead of having a big cliff like the old tulimshar's desert or luvia's sand map.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect