[FND] Block Walls (City walls, Prison, Arena)

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: [WIP] Block Walls (City walls, Prison, Arena)

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Balthazaar wrote:Note public domain doesn't necessarily mean GPL.
US-style public domain means it is free of any copyright claims and can be used for any purpose, including in GPL works. 3-clause BSD is rather close to US-style public domain.

Many jurisdictions don't have public domain, so works remain copyrighted. Please check to make sure what public domain means in the jurisdiction in question, if the concept even exists.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Balthazaar wrote:The light source and shadows are inconsistent among each other, for example on the test picture with the willow trees the shadows are projected in a different direction from the red flowers in the same test picture.

Most of the shadows on the trees and bushes etc are not following the current guidelines for the light direction at all.

Note public domain doesn't necessarily mean GPL.
Thank you! You got the point.

Arbiter Bestiarum: next time please use PNG format and external hosting like http://imageshack.us/
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

i wrote:
Balthazaar wrote:The light source and shadows are inconsistent among each other, for example on the test picture with the willow trees the shadows are projected in a different direction from the red flowers in the same test picture.

Most of the shadows on the trees and bushes etc are not following the current guidelines for the light direction at all.

Note public domain doesn't necessarily mean GPL.
Thank you! You got the point.

Arbiter Bestiarum: next time please use PNG format and external hosting like http://imageshack.us/
I think the wiki allows for larger uploads... I don't like using external hosts because a year from now, who knows if that host will still be hosting it.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Arbiter Bestiarum
Peon
Peon

Post by Arbiter Bestiarum »

Shadows can be changed, objects can be isolated, for example the flower with a shadow pointing to the SE, to be consistent with the trees in high res, to be downsized as required.
Flower.png
Flower.png (21.78 KiB) Viewed 4705 times
The shadow file is posted in its original form, before using you would apply alpha and maybe some blurring.
Flower SHadow.png
Flower SHadow.png (8.67 KiB) Viewed 4704 times
Question is whether there is any interest at all, or am I just wasting my time showing you my stuff.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

If the art you show follows our guidelines, we might be more open to it.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Arbiter Bestiarum wrote:Shadows can be changed, objects can be isolated, for example the flower with a shadow pointing to the SE, to be consistent with the trees in high res, to be downsized as required.
The shadow file is posted in its original form, before using you would apply alpha and maybe some blurring.
Question is whether there is any interest at all, or am I just wasting my time showing you my stuff.
Arbiter Bestiarum : thank you for your really good effort contributing TMW, I feel like you have a very good understanding on graphics and also that you grasp very quick the technical side of it.

I've been looking at your work and yes we have a lot interest on on it, also I recognize the amount of time and work you put on your proposals, so I would like to work with you and use your skills as a mapper for the CR1, I know that you know what that means but just for everybody else understand, is take all the tilesets created by the pixelartist, follow the guides provided by the maps and create the world. (check the read only section to see the current map selection and the tileset progress). Also work as a pixelartist to "fix" the inconsistency or missing tiles on the sets.

Send me a PM or post here if your would like to accept.

Regards
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Arbiter Bestiarum wrote:Of course, I made these images myself :roll:. Well actually it depends on how strictly you interpret the term. Some of the objects are from other places such as the Dundjinni forums, but most I rendered myself.
Don't eye roll emote
You posted without accrediting the source... which is essentially saying you made all of it
GPL or not please do not do this

Next time just do this
I spent a lot of time playing around with these tiles. Here are some of the results, hopefully someone likes them.I made most of the objects myself but also used some of the objects(ect) from (Link) and (link) they should be GPL.
If you do this you will go far
You will live in happiness too :wink:
Pixel Battalion
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

INFO: http://mruk.wordpress.com/2010/09/26/bl ... set-0-0-6/
XCF SOURCE: http://lasdomogrod.pl/tmw/block-walls-s ... -0.0.6.xcf

EDIT:
And concept for 0.0.7. Only 4-5 tiles is needed to make roof horizontal tillable.
Long roof concept.png
Long roof concept.png (43.12 KiB) Viewed 4297 times
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Very Nice I.

Will you be making a version of that roof for square buildings?
The WIP you posted would only really work for round ones.

I do have some concern regarding the shadows. The higher the wall the more shadow it would cast IRL. I found I had to make a separate shadow set and remove yours in order to get the desired effect. ( I had to do some creative layering but I like the ability to create custom shadows based on the actually building and not a shadow that's a fixed size based on the tile it's next to.) Have the shadows affixed to the tiles prevents it from being put on a top layer that would actually cast the shadow onto the sprite or layers below.

Someone brought up that the bottom wall should rest "in" the floor not on it, however I feel that a block wall should rest ON the floor. There are some things thou that just can't be done with this set. I attempted to create the necessary odds and ends for the crypt set. ( The offset turns to line up with side wall for example)
Also the far right side of any structure should cast a shadow but the tiles end with the edge of the tile.
While I don't see any problem with making the academe with this set I do not want a mapper to be limited just because they can't make a certain turn or depict a certain way a wall end. The shadows I made for the crypt are to dark for use in an outside environment but I will make some the same opacity as the ones you have in this set. Perhaps with some creative layering I could get the desired effect with out changes to this existing set.

I don't mean to nit-pick on your work when I couldn't make something as awesome myself, but I do understand from a mapper perspective what they would like to be able to do and see the limitations that come with this set.

Instead of mangling your set anymore then I have for the crypt, I will just point out certain things and leave them to your discretion to fix.

BTW what chainsaws do you sell? I think my old John Deere has about had it and they quit making them and sold there small engine stuff to Stihl. (I'm thinking of going with a husqvarna if I can for my next one!)
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

MerlinX420 wrote:Will you be making a version of that roof for square buildings?
The WIP you posted would only really work for round ones.
Nope. It's just addon to Academy walls. Purpose is clear - bring some diversity.
MerlinX420 wrote:I do have some concern regarding the shadows. The higher the wall the more shadow it would cast IRL. I found I had to make a separate shadow set and remove yours in order to get the desired effect. ( I had to do some creative layering but I like the ability to create custom shadows based on the actually building and not a shadow that's a fixed size based on the tile it's next to.) Have the shadows affixed to the tiles prevents it from being put on a top layer that would actually cast the shadow onto the sprite or layers below.
Shadows should be placed in separate file. ATM I don't care. Most of TMW tileset have crappy shadows.
MerlinX420 wrote:Someone brought up that the bottom wall should rest "in" the floor not on it, however I feel that a block wall should rest ON the floor.
Proper ground integration may be done only if final ground tile exists. ATM I don't see any. I refer to rocky clif.

MerlinX420 wrote:There are some things thou that just can't be done with this set. I attempted to create the necessary odds and ends for the crypt set. ( The offset turns to line up with side wall for example)
Not my problem. Mapper should be aware of limitations. This set was designed to be outer wall. So vertical offset of wall stays as it's now. It's easier to place shadows from external tileset because wall ends with tile grid.
MerlinX420 wrote:While I don't see any problem with making the academe with this set I do not want a mapper to be limited just because they can't make a certain turn or depict a certain way a wall end. The shadows I made for the crypt are to dark for use in an outside environment but I will make some the same opacity as the ones you have in this set. Perhaps with some creative layering I could get the desired effect with out changes to this existing set.
Do as you wish.
MerlinX420 wrote:Instead of mangling your set anymore then I have for the crypt, I will just point out certain things and leave them to your discretion to fix.
Our road maps aims in different ways. BTW source file have shadows on different layer. So keep doing your "mangling".
MerlinX420 wrote:BTW what chainsaws do you sell? I think my old John Deere has about had it and they quit making them and sold there small engine stuff to Stihl. (I'm thinking of going with a husqvarna if I can for my next one!)
Dolmar / Makita / Oleo-Mac
My chainsaw of choice for home user is Makita DCS 4301 a.k.a. Dolmar PS 420.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Yes most of the TMW sets have crappy shadows.
I wouldn't want to merge the wall to a particular floor anyways.
I will working within the limitations of this base set for CR1 stuff, but will test out my edited versions in the plan I have for eA server expansion.

I use to have a cut-man who would swear by his Makita skill-saw, even thou I prefer DeWalt. I wasn't even aware they made chainsaws. XD
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Irukard lives. :)
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Matt wrote:Irukard lives. :)
All the time man :) All the time. Moreover "irukard works" :P My son (Michael) is now 9 month old, so I got a bit more "free" time.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi there,

As I just answered in the mansion of thought, I can't see why the tileset wouldn't become one of the first tilesets in place for CR1 official mapping purpose.

@ Rotonen:
The tiles are frozen, the author panel is in place, and the quality is there. I'm now requesting your agreement before uploading the xcf file in the tmwart repository and the tileset in the CR1 client data repository. :)

@ Irukard:
Your son is 9 months old, wow, already ;) In a few months he will start to walk (!) (Remember one of the best moment of my life :D )

Best regards.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

The tileset has been officially uploaded into CR1 client data.

My best thanks to Irukard for the work done so far. :)