[WIP] Woodland and Hurnscald maps

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Micksha
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

[WIP] Woodland and Hurnscald maps

Post by Micksha »

Hey all. Here is my Hurns ground tileset:
hurns-ground.png
hurns-ground.png (128.07 KiB) Viewed 4676 times
I made a big map with it already (here is a small version to be placed in forums):
008-1.png
008-1.png (556.01 KiB) Viewed 4676 times
, so I would like to keep the layout. I will add the long grass from Merlins tileset (I believe its the one known as Lens grass, right?), and I will add Merlins stone ground instead of mine, also Merlins Dimonds cove. Additionally I will use the grey mountains. Then we hopefully have something usable soon to go to test server.

Please feel free to comment any aspects of that.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Re: [WIP] Hurnscald Ground palette

Post by WildX »

The tileset is good and the map is classic TMW and one of our best maps IMO, but I would still make a few changes:
  • The two largest buildings are the farmhouse and Dimond's, these should be broken up into two or three smaller buildings for each with more realistic proportions. Also keeping in mind proportions between indoor and outdoor.
  • The very north of the map has always been inaccessible. This if fine because we can make the Kazei region begin there. There should be higher rocky cliffs all over this area and maybe a couple of sign NPCs warning that this is were the mountain passes begin.
  • We will need to take the player from Artis to Hurnscald. This is impossible unless we have a western port in Argaes. This map will need a second map to its west (north of the Graveyard) with a small village and a port which can receive incoming ships from Artis. I suggest to use the GY map which already has a village and just adding a small port to it. It would help to put the two existing maps side-by-side so we can see what areas need to be filled in. I suspect we already have most of the work done anyway.

TMW Team member

Micksha
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Micksha »

Hello,
here an update for the ground tileset:
hurns-ground.png
hurns-ground.png (147.49 KiB) Viewed 4632 times
Basic changes: grass to fit the long grass color, cliffs color and dirt path color to match better.
All stuff is only a handful of colors so the overall look can be changed within a couple of minutes.
Basically we just need someone to decide when its finished and can be used to work on further stuff (houses, accessoires etc).
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

I'm not the expert here but I think we reached peak ground tileset. 10/10.

TMW Team member

TeZeR.D
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by TeZeR.D »

WildX wrote:I suggest to use the GY map which already has a village and just adding a small port to it. It would help to put the two existing maps side-by-side so we can see what areas need to be filled in. I suspect we already have most of the work done anyway.
Is it smart to have the landing area (for the real map) right next to GY? IMO, GY should always be in a remote out of the way place that isn't immediately there near port.
Micksha
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Micksha »

As the tileset is basically agreed on, I will use this as a map post for now. We agreed on using IvanMorve's barn and windmill, so here is Oscars Cottage - refurbished:
Oscars Cottage.png
Oscars Cottage.png (370.29 KiB) Viewed 4550 times
I hope Oscar is capable of using that mill. I think he is not very successful with growing pumpkins, at least.

It seems shadows are missing, just on it. Please forgive me for not preparing the mill wings shadows right now.
Please feel free to comment.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Re: [WIP] Woodland and Hurnscald maps

Post by WildX »

It looks great! The barn is slighly off with the perspective but I think you can overlook that. Medieval buildings tend to lean in weird positions anyway.

My general feedback for this map:
  • More houses. They don't have to be all accessible, I wouldn't expect anybody to walk into every private home in a town, but they should be there to give the idea of a populated town. Lore-wise Hurnscald is not huge, but it's way bigger than it is currently in-game. I would say there needs to be 3 more small houses within the walls and 4 houses towards the north. The area north of Hinnak's farm and outside the Obelisk cave is boring. I don't see why the people of Hurnscald wouldn't turn that into farmland.
  • I think Valia's house should be moved on the left of Dimond's Inn, on the other side of the river. The area it's in now will need to be left empty because it's the devastated land bridge that sank into the sea after the famous earthquake. I say it should be moved to the left of Dimond's because that entire area is quite empty and useless at the moment.
  • The trees. Different stages of growth and everything else we discussed.
That's all I have! :)

TMW Team member

Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

I think the grass is from saphy. The stone road I use and in use on evol is the work of Ivan.

The only problem I see with your set is having to remap its about everything but I assume you are doing that anyways with the whole evol tmw merger.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Søren
Peon
Peon

Post by Søren »

l'm in love with this new tilesets :D
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Been awhile since I've been around. Nice to see you went kinda in my direction for the woodland set. you used evols grass but darkened it a bit I think. Looks like you used my edit of crush's cliffs. (I really like the grey color vrs what we have now.) I really like it. Good job. Hope to see this in game soon. That candyland color palate needs to go. I just quickly read the thread and saw a comment about the "Size" of Dimond's cove....

I plan on redoing it once the tilesets are agreed upon. I really wanted to have that done in 2018 but RL seems to keep me from things.
I understand why I made the cove so big but don't know why I made the farmhouse so big. ((That must be one well off apple farmer!))
I never did the inside map even thou i planned on doing that too but that's the time I think I got into wow. XD
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?