2-handed animation sprites.

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

The weapon is only used as a reference object, right? It is full saturated and green flamed? You would have to update the lighting on the character to reflect your weapon's illumination.

Deformative, are you using GIMP? Try to use pencil instead of paintbrush if you are making pixel art, paintbrush is too fluffy and pixel arts need details.
deformative
Peon
Peon

Post by deformative »

Just a reference, and I am using the pencil, but I have difficulty creating the rounded effect without the blur tool, and that is what I am using. I will probably go back and touch up everything later.
deformative
Peon
Peon

Post by deformative »

I am missing 2 frames so it is still jumpy, but eh, I felt the need to post. ^_^
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

deformative wrote:Image

I am missing 2 frames so it is still jumpy, but eh, I felt the need to post. ^_^
quite nice, except that it looks weird with head standing still on one place... also legs moves too wild up and down...
Madcap
Novice
Novice

Post by Madcap »

I realize in terms of the martial art this fella is demonstrating for us, head movement is discouraged. But are you still gonna have it move just a little? My $.02.

Looking forward to seeing this in gameplay!!
deformative
Peon
Peon

Post by deformative »

Yeah, it wouldn't naturally line up that way with the head, but I had to put it like that because otherwise it would have looked even more jumpy since it is missing the 2 frames.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Deformative, please don't use tools like blur when creating pixel art. A general rule for the pixel art style is to keep the number of used colors as low as possible.

When you want to use anti aliasing - what you should only do when it looks really crappy without - set the opacity of the pencil tool to 50% and do it manually.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
deformative
Peon
Peon

Post by deformative »

Mmm, easier said than done. If multiple colors are so bad why not use like 16 bit or something?

If you want to go back and retouch mine when I finish, be my guest because I do not think I have the talent to do so. It's just i have never worked like that because I have never felt the need before, it seems very odd to me, and I don't exactly understand the logic behind it.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

I think the arms movement is good. But as others before me have already said the head should follow the body movement and probably the legs should jump here and there.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

It's hard to tell the quality of the actual animation if the offset is wrong, but as it is now the legs seem way too static.
Also this way of attacking is illogical. Try to hold a stick like that, with your right hand highest and your hand under the stick. Then make the movement as in the animation, moving your right hand down and forward and your left hand back and up. Hard to do ey? :)
Without the starting frame it should work though. And I think that's even the way you would use a staff for attacking. An alternative way to use a staff would be to stab:
Only a staff would be held different in the starting frame, but that's perfectly possible with the same player frames.
Last edited by Modanung on 18 Nov 2006, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
GravyTrain
Peon
Peon

Post by GravyTrain »

I think it looks good, minus the fact that his stomach dissapears for a frame...but if it was more stationary it would look nice...maybe try having him just step kinda like the spear one..but less dramatic