Dark Talisman Particle Effect

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Re: Dark Talisman Particle Effect

Post by Hello=) »

I've checked and ... seems /use actually "equips" item rather than invokes "use" script. So it probably wouldn't work. But I can readily propose couple of other things to invoke scripts for item anyway. Like e.g. NPC or chat spell.

Either way... since you've told it's okay, I've transferred effect on top of "mainline" resources, using 04159cdc6ad594360a2af607b6587086fa2ccbe3 (your Xakelbael fix) as starting point. I've put it here - https://notabug.org/hello.tmw/tmwa-client-data.git (browsable as well). You're interested in branch dark-talisman-fx - commit 5b8711da19a5654dd39ac2e6fd89c75d498fbba2 (I'm sorry for some hex-speak).

I've gave it a try "locally" and it seems to work fine but it's 1st time I try this so I wonder if it's possible to test that on testing server before pushing on everyone else heads? Well, the only thing test server should do is to give out "newer" zip, there're no serverside changes. But I'm not sure if testing server uses same update host & zip as main or not.

Additionally it fixes Dark Talisman description (Def +30 -> M.def +30, Dark Talisman doesn't affects def at all). Credits for this are going to Ledmitz.

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

I wonder how often I've caused trouble/work, just by talking. HAHA. There is a simple solution I mentioned in game. Party and guild badges are actually client-side and are client patches, though I do think it would make more sense to be a server(client-data) patch since they are both implemented in the same manner(zip files in a server DIR). There are a very limited number of these badges and I'd bet that custom effects for some special items could be done in the same manner, per character. This would allow for different people to have different particle effects for the dark talisman, for example.

Also, the effect on my current patch is quite gaudy and was done in haste to accommodate player requests. I'm now locally using this for dark talisman, which is a jumbling shadow that has no trail, but even after reading up on particles and changing power option, which is the only speed of animation setting I can find, still doesn't slow the animation enough. Does someone know a way?, and here is my version of effect, thus far:
https://files.catbox.moe/ayi1xc.xml

I'd also love to know a way to make a particle effect on a character last for the duration of a spell in the same manner the status bar does. I like a ground effect that rotates (like Hello=)'s effect) or an orb of some type to indicate betsanc and asorm for example. I also use a particle for ingrav on caster on my patch, but I had to set a time duration for it because I don't know how to make it last for it's actual duration.

How do I make an effect last for a status' duration?

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

Legends say if you don't cause any trouble, it implies you don't do anything significant either :P.

I bet it is possible to make things like this/FX overrides/FX removals/ ... as "mods". Mod is basically "overlay" similar to local overrides that can do same things. Except it's ZIP dl'ed by client if user sets checkbox. That's what leaves me puzzled why it isn't used more widely. Sounds like it meant to do more or less things comparable to what you're up to. Eventually there were even some quite funny mods like e.g. turning some TMW maps into "textual" game similar to Nethack (ofc these were just custom tilesets/maps).

Beyond mods I can imagine there're ways to flip/change some effects "in game" if server willing to help with it. Guess that part of client-server interaction wasn't too widely explored, except very basic usage by spells.

As for slowing animations... I only had limited success: seems to be bound by "physics" on one side so slowing too much makes it more affected by player movement beyond what I would like. On another I dont want to emit too much things for performance reason, yet it's preferrable to keep animation smooth which implies relatively few relatively fast things. So I've not got 100% perfect results so far to extent I would like it. Doesn't means it impossible: whole thing is powerful and I'm quite a noob at it.

As for lifetime: add something like lifetime = "123" to upper-level <particle ... >. Some other effects apparently do that already, it seems to limit overall effect length. So you can get rid of ring or something if it's "transient" effect like casting spell. As for exact match with server timings ... hm, that's intetesting. I don't readily know it.

Last edited by Hello=) on 05 Nov 2020, 05:00, edited 2 times in total.
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

t3st3r wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 04:26

e.g. turning some TMW maps into "textual" game similar to Nethack (ofc these were just a custom tilesets).

Yes. There was a day all of TMW was in ASCII. The patch still exists. I think it was a client patch though. Can be called on with mod support, I think. I am desperate to help make a laptop that when equipped, makes everything turn to ASCII. An AFK item for fun. Goes best with Guy Fawkes. ;-)

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak