Female character sits with legs spread apart?

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Female character sits with legs spread apart?

Post by Saphy »

this situation has been bugging my mind. The female character in the game sit with her leg spreaded out. People usually do not sit like that, it is not appropriate. Frankly, I don't think guys should be sit like a monkey either.

Do you suppose we can use a sprite where the character isn't spreading out legs like that?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

A also complained a lot that the female characters don't move like females should. Besides the sitting pose the walking could be more feminine, too. Someone said that it would reduce the effort necessary for creating equipment sprites when the male and female lower bodies moves identical, but i believe the effort to modify pants for a female gait would be nothing compared to the effort necessary to convert upper equipment from male to female.

(To convert pants for a slightly different leg movement you just have to move some pixels around and maybe refit the outline a bit afterwards. But for the upper equipment you have to redo the complete shading of the breast section - and shading is the really difficult part when it comes to making sprites)

Related thread: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=1390
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Yes. So I propose that both male and female sprite will sit with their legs closed. No?
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Saphy wrote:Yes. So I propose that both male and female sprite will sit with their legs closed. No?
It's natural for a male to sit with his legs spread. Balls need fresh air. Same reason the scrotum is more tight when it's cold and hangs lower when it's hot. But yea females should at least sit like they do when looking to the side.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

I never saw a well behaving man sitting like that either. Rather people are sitting in lotus position, on their knees, personally if I would have seen a man sitting like that in front of me I would slap him. I have already mentioned that pose is silly, especially because it looks different from each side; from behind it looks like you are sitting in lotus position, while en face it looks like you are sitting like a hoe. ;> And it is definately not dependent of gender, I think we should implement good old, elegant lotus position.

Regards.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

Haha. Funny Modanung :D.
Seriously, I don't understand what the hubbub is about really and as I said at the irc. Platyna must have slapped alot of dude's :wink:. I personally have no problems with it, and I sit like that myself (when I sit on the ground) and I am wellbehaved(! Yes I am.). On the other hand, I can understand that girls with skirt's dont spread their legs wide...
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

When I sit on the ground I sit like that, but with my elbows on my knees instead of my hands... and my hands together.
Sometimes I put my hands behind/besides me and lean slightly backwards. But still my legs are like that.
And yea, I sometimes sit in lotus position. But my knees don't like that after a while so I switch back to the first.

But Platyna... aren't the legs more spread in lotus position? :?
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

They are, but it isn't rude like that. The above is classic look-on-my-balls position. Not telling that modelling is flawed, as I already mentioned.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitting

Regards.
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Indeed. I perfer the lotus position for both male and female. It seems more decents and it is fair for both gender to sit that way.

Quiche_on_a_leash
Novice
Novice

Post by Quiche_on_a_leash »

Saphy, if you sit like that its gonna make getting quickly to batter a scorpion skulls about quite a challenge. Also wouldn't it require an extra frame or two from the standing frame?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Saphy: Not bad, but i think the perspective could be better.

Quiche: I think we don't need a stand-up or sit-down animation.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

I don't like the way hands are place in that position, it looks just weird... It is rather done this way:
ImageImage

I think third one is less stiff.

Regards.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

I think that looks too much like yoga. As such I think "lotus position" is also the wrong name for what we're looking for. As per the Sitting article you linked to above, I think we should go for "Tailor or Indian style" sitting.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Well, it were the best term I had on my mind. And generally position itself is ok, no one forces us to have such faces expresions as posted above. :)
I think this one would be the best choice, it is elegant and informal:

Regards.