temple development by Axl

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

AxlTrozz wrote:New version with some sandstone floor but with some sand.

That doesn't look like sandstone at all. Perhaps you should try lighter colour?

AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

saphy wrote:That doesn't look like sandstone at all. Perhaps you should try lighter colour?
thank you, I like your version but more like "dust over floor", good effect, did you check the "half and half" version where I tried to improve a little the version you have in your post.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

when you use dithering you should avoid checkboard patterns or other regular patterns and try to place the pixels as random as possible.

Bad dithering:

Good dithering:
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

AxlTrozz wrote:
saphy wrote:That doesn't look like sandstone at all. Perhaps you should try lighter colour?
thank you, I like your version but more like "dust over floor", good effect, did you check the "half and half" version where I tried to improve a little the version you have in your post.
Yeah, but the half and half version has the same problem, the sand is still too unnatural. Sand won't become wavy unless it is under strong wind.

Since the wall and the sand has very similar colour, the wavy sand floor look nicer due to higher contrast (wave vs plain/dotted wall). But it is still doable using other technique, such as adding crumbled rocks or cracks between wall and grounds, changing the hue/lighting of the floor or wall, or introducing more shadow/lightning effect.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

yes, I created that sand for outdoors sometime ago, I just reused for this work, but now that you say that it looks not good, I'll try to do something about, thanks
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

I'm trying to create the temple maps:
I used some tiles from the desert tileset :wink:

Temple Exterior
Last edited by AxlTrozz on 15 Aug 2010, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Looks very nice, though of course half of the shadows in the doorway have to be removed since the sun only shines in one direction at a time.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Bjørn wrote:Looks very nice, though of course half of the shadows in the doorway have to be removed since the sun only shines in one direction at a time.
I was trying to represent the torches effect, but I don't know if is correct or not.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

That could work indoor or at night. The sun will override any torch effect.
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

And even if it where indoor the angles of the shadows would be totally different. Other than that, it looks really nice :D
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Bjørn wrote:Looks very nice, though of course half of the shadows in the doorway have to be removed since the sun only shines in one direction at a time.
Done, I removed one of the shadows and now I'm experimenting with the tileset, I'm trying to create a 60 x 60 tilemap, but I'm stil in progress...

Image >>> Map Image
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Still some corners are missing also some details but seems like is going to work :)

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

What do you mean with 60x60 tilemap? The tilesize? The tilesize of TMW is 32x32. The size of the whole tileset? The maximum is 512x512 pixels here. When this isn't enough you can split it up on multiple tilesets.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Crush wrote:What do you mean with 60x60 tilemap? The tilesize? The tilesize of TMW is 32x32. The size of the whole tileset? The maximum is 512x512 pixels here. When this isn't enough you can split it up on multiple tilesets.
The tiles are 32 x 32 and the tileset is 512 x 512 (by the wiki) but I'm trying to create a map with 60 x 60 tiles (did I miss something ?) may be I didn't understand the tutorial :?, please any help would be apreciated
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Current progress of the tileset (512 x 512)
Last edited by AxlTrozz on 15 Aug 2010, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.