Particle Effects

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Particle Effects

Post by Crush »

As you should have noticed the biggest new feature of 0.0.23 is the particle engine that is used for bouncing damage numbers, hit effects, levelup effects, a waterfall in the woodland and torches in the caves.

Do you have any other ideas what the particle engine could be used for? Most likely most of you want to say "I want to cast magic!". But you all know that there won't be any active player skills on the current server.

Maybe some of you would like to experiment a bit with the particle engine themself. In that case I would recommend you to follow the instructions in http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=2617 to get the necessary files (after that you find them in data/graphics/particles) and read the documentation of the particle effect definition files on the wiki: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... ition_file
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

at first i must say that particle engine is very nice, gratz Crush :)
My only suggestion (for now) is that that torch fire in the cave should be a little brighter...

edit no1.: i think we should have some smoke coming out of chimneys and fireplaces...(anytime when woodland village is ready)

edit no2.: flies (mosquitoes)! following you around in some environments (e.g. swamps, jungle?), presented simply just like little black dots or so...

edit no3.: particle engine should also manage the fumes, coming out of lava rivers or deep rifts...
Last edited by yosuhara on 07 Jun 2007, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

The particle engine could probably also be used for projectile weapons, like showing arrows flying from the bow. The swamp flies suggested by yosuhara made me think of fireflies, which could also look pretty cool.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I made a beehive. Basically as a proof of concept to show two features that are not used by any of the effects yet. Emitters with an image themself and particles that orbit around the emitter:
As usually it doesn't look as good on a screenshot. Here the custom file to try it out (create a directory "customdata" in .tmw dirctory in your user directory when you haven't got one yet and put the packed zip file in there):
http://www.crushnet.org/TempFiles/tmw/beehive.zip

(You can find it in the upper left area of the southeast woodland map)
Last edited by Crush on 08 Jun 2007, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

and we definitely could use some fountain (geyser?) :)

on the other note:
i'm starting to figure something in my mind.. like, some organic, really smelly, fungus-plant hybrid that can be surrounded by swarms of (fire)flies! It can definitely adds something to the actual environment (biosphere) which is quite still and life-less now (away from actual hostile organisms), something that screams I AM ALIVE!!!

//btw is actual or new server capable of animated sprites? That fungus can do some moves like breathing or so...
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Animation is client-sided. That has nothing to do with the server.

What you are suggesting is quite a good example of an application of the particle engine. An animated emitter is as possible as objects orbiting it. Maybe you would like to pixel it?
  • NOT a game master

yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Crush wrote:I made a beehive. Basically as a proof of concept to show two features that are not used by any of the effects yet. Emitters with an image themself and particles that orbit around the emitter:
As usually it doesn't look as good on a screenshot. Here the custom file to try it out (create a directory "customdata" in .tmw dirctory in your user directory when you haven't got one yet and put the packed zip file in there):
http://www.crushnet.org/TempFiles/tmw/beehive.zip

(You can find it in the upper left area of the southeast woodland map)
If you don't mind Crush, i played around a bit with beehive and bees themselves. -> http://alf.intrak.tuke.sk/~hanculak/beehive.zip
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Looks very nice, yosuhara. Although the filename orb-small-black is a bit misleading for a bee sprite.

I renamed the sprite to bee.png and gave the bees a 2nd animation phase. See the xml file for how animations are defined:
http://www.crushnet.org/TempFiles/tmw/beehive_v3.zip
  • NOT a game master

yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Crush wrote:Looks very nice, yosuhara. Although the filename orb-small-black is a bit misleading for a bee sprite.

I renamed the sprite to bee.png and gave the bees a 2nd animation phase. See the xml file for how animations are defined:
http://www.crushnet.org/TempFiles/tmw/beehive_v3.zip
am I supposed to delete the old beehive.zip and replace it with new beehive_v3.zip? If yes, my TMW refuses to run... it just crashes down when it's connecting to the map server...
http://alf.intrak.tuke.sk/~hanculak/tmw.log
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

move your beehive.zip out of your customdata folder. it overrides mine. I can see that because of those lines:

Code: Select all

[10:55:31.90] Loaded C:\Documents and Settings\martin hanculak\/.tmw\customdata/beehive.zip/graphics/particles/beehive.particle.xml
[10:55:31.90] Loaded C:\Documents and Settings\martin hanculak\/.tmw\customdata/beehive.zip/graphics/particles/beehive.png
[10:55:31.90] Loaded C:\Documents and Settings\martin hanculak\/.tmw\customdata/beehive.zip/graphics/particles/orb-small-black.png
  • NOT a game master

yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Crush wrote:move your beehive.zip out of your customdata folder. it overrides mine. I can see that because of those lines:

Code: Select all

[10:55:31.90] Loaded C:\Documents and Settings\martin hanculak\/.tmw\customdata/beehive.zip/graphics/particles/beehive.particle.xml
[10:55:31.90] Loaded C:\Documents and Settings\martin hanculak\/.tmw\customdata/beehive.zip/graphics/particles/beehive.png
[10:55:31.90] Loaded C:\Documents and Settings\martin hanculak\/.tmw\customdata/beehive.zip/graphics/particles/orb-small-black.png
in the custom folder i now have only beehive_v3.zip file, but i figured out that when i want to enter the map where is beehive located TMW crashes down...
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

It won't work for me for some reason. I copied the zip in the customdata folder - doesnt work. I deleted all updates and disabled them - doesnt work. I copied the files into the data directory - doesnt work. I open the map file in the data directory with tiled - there it is, a particle effect thingy. But it doesn't shows up. Argh.
CurtisMJun
Novice
Novice

Post by CurtisMJun »

same with me i'm not seeing any new particles and i unloaded the zip into the mw folder? :?

EDIT: I got it to work...looks really good!
Last edited by CurtisMJun on 11 Jun 2007, 02:42, edited 1 time in total.
CurtisJ in-game
lvl 69 archer and increasing :)
Peacemaker
Novice
Novice

Post by Peacemaker »

new_16-1.tmx.gz of beehive_v3.zip might be broken... I cant open it with tiled...

beehive.zip works and looks great :)
Peacemaker: Level 58 - STR 60+ / AGI 30 / VIT 36 / INT 5 / DEX 20 / LUK 5 - wiped because of inactivity... :(
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

v3 works for me. Looks sweet.
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.