Possible revision of desert tilesets!

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Is the desert and starting town in need of a update?

Poll ended at 22 Oct 2007, 03:01

Yes
97%
NO! I love it as it is.....
3%

Total votes: 29
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Nice to see we finally have freely growing trees instead of those old constantly gardened ones... :roll:

Directing you dictatively should not improve the quality so keep on pixellating as you wish until further notice.
This message used to be meaningful.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Rotonen wrote:Nice to see we finally have freely growing trees instead of those old constantly gardened ones... :roll:
You do understand why they are like that, right? It was to mimic the SoM look.
Len, I LOVE you trees. I'm not entirely sure if they would fit in the current forest with it's style. Maybe they'd fit better in the jungle areas we have planned.

EDIT: Oh, and this thread was about the desert. Maybe start a new topic for the forest/jungle?
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Raven
Peon
Peon

Post by Raven »

Could use the same tree but edit it slightly. For instance vines hanging from the lower branches and a darker colour for the leaves. Don't discard it quite yet.. :-P
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Thanks for all the positive feedback..

Anyone have any ideas on how I should proceed on the desert tileset?
(or just play with it for a while, see what you can make and give me some feedback on it)
EDIT: Oh, and this thread was about the desert. Maybe start a new topic for the forest/jungle?

As soon as i have a little more done on it i will
Pixel Battalion
Raven
Peon
Peon

Post by Raven »

The Resolution on the left hand palm tree is way more pixelated than the other two sprites. Is there any way to fix that?
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Raven wrote:The Resolution on the left hand palm tree is way more pixelated than the other two sprites. Is there any way to fix that?
Are you talking about the palm currently used in the game? The old palm(low rez) is probably getting replaced by the two new ones. (Modanung palm tree and my smaller variation of his palm tree)
Pixel Battalion
Raven
Peon
Peon

Post by Raven »

That's probably what i'm talking about, sorry i took the one on the left to be one that you had revised :-P My mistake if it hasn't been.
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

Anyone have any ideas on how I should proceed on the desert tileset?
Maybe you could add some variants of the water and cactus?
Quiche_on_a_leash
Novice
Novice

Post by Quiche_on_a_leash »

You should do some more work on making your new tiles tile better, also the path requires end tiles. Maybe some more work on the new smaller palm tree.

Also I think your forest pieces should be made as a new tile set rather than additional tiles for the current one.

Keep up the awesome work.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Quiche_on_a_leash wrote:You should do some more work on making your new tiles tile better, also the path requires end tiles. Maybe some more work on the new smaller palm tree.

Also I think your forest pieces should be made as a new tile set rather than additional tiles for the current one.

Keep up the awesome work.
Making them tile better might be harder than it sounds because I want them to retain some of their messiness.(which really helps to break up the grid) If i can find a way to do both that will be great.

(I'm trying to avoid this clean cut look)

(i just like the broken up feeling of the wavy sand)
(the wavy sand can of some really nice organic looking shapes and i don't want to lose that!)

Thinking about giving the path tiles a fade away ending (not sure yet)

[/quote]Maybe you could add some variants of the water and cactus?[/quote]

yosuhara, donated a few things not sure if i can use them
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/218/stver4xk2.png
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/9634/cactus2ws6.png
Last edited by Len on 23 Sep 2007, 23:25, edited 2 times in total.
Pixel Battalion
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

I think the trees should be higher not smaller, or we should get rid of trees in game and create some kind of high bushes.

Regards.
kr0n05
Novice
Novice

Post by kr0n05 »

Platyna wrote:I think the trees should be higher not smaller, or we should get rid of trees in game and create some kind of high bushes.

Regards.
IMHO We have too many palms and not nearly enough cacti for the desert, I mean, where is this infinite source of water coming from?

Ice Monster Development Status: FROZEN
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

kr0n05 wrote:
Platyna wrote:I think the trees should be higher not smaller, or we should get rid of trees in game and create some kind of high bushes.

Regards.
IMHO We have too many palms and not nearly enough cacti for the desert, I mean, where is this infinite source of water coming from?
Yet another reason why the current maps need to be revised...

If you look at my little demo maps I usually have the palms growing near a source of water.. I also try not to place objects in rows or have too many of the same objects on screen.

Quiche_on_a_leash wrote:You should do some more work on making your new tiles tile better, also the path requires end tiles. Maybe some more work on the new smaller palm
currently Testing the sand path endings
Pixel Battalion
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Modanung wrote:
Rotonen wrote:Nice to see we finally have freely growing trees instead of those old constantly gardened ones... :roll:
You do understand why they are like that, right? It was to mimic the SoM look.
Yes, I do. It just doesn't make my native Finnish tendency to prefer naturally growing trees over gardened ones go away.

Len, if you still want to expand on the desert tilesets, you might want to try to create transition area tiles into a more rocky and desolate area. Or into a greener area, whichever makes you tick. Both should be safe to work on and used on the long run.
This message used to be meaningful.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Quiche_on_a_leash wrote: Maybe some more work on the new smaller palm tree.
blueberry wrote:Also some human or horse spoors (like the foot-spoors in iceland) would be nice.

Slight improvement on the small palm tree, I also added sand tracks (which is just a variation of the snow tracks)...
Pixel Battalion