Possible revision of desert tilesets!

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Is the desert and starting town in need of a update?

Poll ended at 22 Oct 2007, 03:01

Yes
97%
NO! I love it as it is.....
3%

Total votes: 29
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:I'm pretty sure the palm we use it's in desert_x3.png.
Is that for organizational purposes, or what? :? believe it or not I'm not sure what I'm doing...
Pixel Battalion
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Tiles in x2, x3 tilesets are considered more as objects than single tiles, so it's easier to create maps with them, but most of all they are ordered together with beings by the graphics engine avoiding beings showing on top of palm trees and stuff like that.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Len wrote: testing new tile, what do you think (its hard to use but it works)
I like it very much, it is a good complement for the rest.
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Making sure everything works is a drag. :x
Last edited by Len on 18 Sep 2007, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.
Pixel Battalion
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

What happened to the alpha transparency?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Crush wrote:What happened to the alpha transparency?
MS paint ate them :cry:
Pixel Battalion
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Just a couple of issues yet:

1) Why I can see the old cactus behind the new one?

2) I fear you'll have to add the missing ground tile below the palm trees, but I'll have to check.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:Just a couple of issues yet:

2) I fear you'll have to add the missing ground tile below the palm trees, but I'll have to check.
I haven't got a clue why the old cactus is there. the palm tree issue is an easy fix.(if there is an issue)
Pixel Battalion
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Len wrote:MS paint ate them :cry:
I would suggest you to use a more advanced image manipulation program like Gimp (favorite of many tmw developers), Paint.NET or Photoshop. Although these programs got a lot of functions that should not be used for pixel art they still got a lot of useful features like layers, unlimited undo history, advanced selection tools or color correction that make the life of a pixel artist much easier. And last but not least they got proper PNG support.

Gimp and Paint.NET are free:
http://www.gimp.org/
http://www.getpaint.net/

That's an issue I also noted in an image viewer I am using (IrfanView). Gimp seems to save some old versions from the undo history in some kind of metainformation part of the png file. Some programs seem to misinterprete this and show these additional versions of the file, too.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Crush wrote:
Len wrote:MS paint ate them :cry:
I would suggest you to use a more advanced image manipulation program like Gimp (favorite of many tmw developers), Paint.NET or Photoshop. Although these programs got a lot of functions that should not be used for pixel art they still got a lot of useful features like layers, unlimited undo history, advanced selection tools or color correction that make the life of a pixel artist much easier. And last but not least they got proper PNG support.

Gimp and Paint.NET are free:
http://www.gimp.org/
http://www.getpaint.net/

That's an issue I also noted in an image viewer I am using (IrfanView). Gimp seems to save some old versions from the undo history in some kind of metainformation part of the png file. Some programs seem to misinterprete this and show these additional versions of the file, too.
I'll download Gimp sometime today
Pixel Battalion
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I see you need a helping hand here:
desert2.png:
desert_x5.png:

Two questions:
-Is there a reason to include the 3x2 version of the "rocky sand"? It looks almost like the 3x3 version, just not tileable.
-Would it be a big hassle to create a 3x3 version of the "small sand ripples" with better tileability?

By the way: When you see the above images with a white background you should stop using internet explorer and start using a non-crappy browser:
http://www.getfirefox.net
http://www.opera.com
  • NOT a game master

ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

We're nearly there, you see we could solve those issues by ourselves, but it would help a lot if you could learn the process for future additions.

The *_x2 tilesets are used to store objects which are 2 tiles in height, *_x3 for objects of 3 tiles in height and so on...

The small palm tree would probably require a _x4 tileset, but it would be better to make it fit a 3x2 box. Moving the trunk down as in the original palm tree could help.

The same goes with the big one, having it 5 tiles in height could be a bit too much, 4x3 should be better.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Crush wrote: Two questions:
-Is there a reason to include the 3x2 version of the "rocky sand"? It looks almost like the 3x3 version, just not tileable.
-Would it be a big hassle to create a 3x3 version of the "small sand ripples" with better tileability?
-still working on the dried mud(and most everything),both are needed at this time for tileability...I also like the shape the small one makes
-Part of my plan is to make it so the tiles are used in a none geometric way, but i can try to improve tileability.Image

The *_x2 tilesets are used to store objects which are 2 tiles in height, *_x3 for objects of 3 tiles in height and so on...

The small palm tree would probably require a _x4 tileset, but it would be better to make it fit a 3x2 box. Moving the trunk down as in the original palm tree could help.

The same goes with the big one, having it 5 tiles in height could be a bit too much, 4x3 should be better.
-I was enjoying the idea a slightly larger trees in the game,but if you feel its necessary I'll scale them down

Another thing I need to work on is the sand path as it only goes in one direction currently, although i have found other uses for it....
Last edited by Len on 18 Sep 2007, 15:38, edited 4 times in total.
Pixel Battalion
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I don't see a problem in keeping the trees as large as they are. The engine can handle tilesets of any height so there is no reason to mutilate the trees to fit them into smaller ones.
  • NOT a game master

Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Listing ideas

Desert
  • · Slightly improve both the Wavy Sand (maybe cut it down a few
    squares) and the Dried Mud tile’s tileability.
    · Add more to the Sand Path
    · Make sure it all works properly
Woodland map
  • I also want to update some of the other maps after this, the woodland is going to take forever lol (no offense but its a hodgepodge).
    It has the opposite problem of the other maps it’s too crowded and needs to be simplified
    Also trying to render each leaf is a big no no in art, generalization is the key
    tone down the colors slightly[/b
    Once again one of Modanung trees is giving me an idea

(i think i know a better way to do this)

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... light=tree

Snow map
  • This one is easy just add two ground tiles to help break up the grid...example Snow drifts
[/list]
Pixel Battalion