[FND]forest tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Will the big twisted trunk and the greenish trunk be included in the tile? Having only brown trunk is quite limiting.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Saphy wrote:Will the big twisted trunk and the greenish trunk be included in the tile? Having only brown trunk is quite limiting.
Len wrote: Todo list:
-Fix bush
-Finish cliff tiles
-Create high grass tile
-Fix shadow tile
-Create another tree
-Finish water and river tiles !
I might use Modanung's twisting tree trunk as the bases for anouther tree, but I'm not going to use the old version of the redwood

Btw, my last attempt at making anouther tree for this tileset ended up being this http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=3255

I'm also planning to make a background image like those seen in this screenshot..!Image

OMG OMG, I just got the greatest idea ever!!!!!

These two topics give a vague idea of what I’m thinking of

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 9&start=15
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=1973
http://www.esf.edu/for/yanai/for332/ForestLight.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lyrical/454127205/
Last edited by Len on 12 Jan 2008, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.
Pixel Battalion
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Len, I've been thinking in do something like that for a while, It would be great create some landscapes

The picture at the right looks more real and is exactly what I have in mind also
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Len wrote:I might use Modanung's twisting tree trunk as the bases for anouther tree, but I'm not going to use the old version of the redwood
For the n'th time... I didn't draw it. Crush did, I just did some recoloring.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Regarding the huge tree trunk, wouldn't it be more natural to have the trunk fade/blur into the camera like this instead?

The shading on this trunk may be a little off...
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Saphy wrote:Regarding the huge tree trunk, wouldn't it be more natural to have the trunk fade/blur into the camera like this instead?

The shading on this trunk may be a little off...

that is most impressive, but its a little too detailed and sharp compared to the other tree and bush. (This is overly pulling it forward making it almost appear to float a little on the map) also the base of the trunk is flat and should end in an ellipse. I would also like it to start branching out before it starts to fade, but its still very NICE!!!! with the fade i say play around till you find what feels and looks good.

I had a chance to work a little on the beam of light

(it kind of works but it also looks a little like eraser marks ><)
Pixel Battalion
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

I think the light beam looks fine.

Regarding the tree, indeed I didn't spend much time on the base of the trunk. How about this?

ImageImage

Detail reduced:

Image or Image
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The version with more detail looks better. But you should define the light direction a bit more to make it look more cylindrical. The biggest disturbance is the very bright part in the lower right area which is (or at least seems) to be brighter than the left half which should be the brightest area according to the light direction. I modified it a bit:
But you might want to redo this again yourself. I am still more used to the conservative school of pixel art and not that experienced yet in the more modern techniques len and you are using.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Personally I think the base of the tree trunk should have roots that are more robust than that, and the tree is still pulling forward to much.

(the tree of life from tales of Phantasia)

I was wondering if it might be possible to have an effect like that found in the woodland with the clouds casting shadows? (only have it be none moving shadows from the leaves of the trees in the canopy, and design it to work with the map)
Last edited by Len on 15 Jan 2008, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
Pixel Battalion
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Len wrote:personally I think the base of the tree trunk should have roots that are more robust than that, and the tree is still pulling forward to much.

(the tree of life from tales of Phantasia)

I was wondering if it might be possible to have an effect like that found in the woodland with the clouds casting shadows? (only have it be none moving shadows from the leaves of the trees in the canopy, and design it to work with the map)
Neat! Indeed, the root for a big tree should be more profound. The perspective isn't right on the version I created as suspected. I am sure we can make something like that, with tiles. It will however have small gitches, such as the top part of a character is in shadow even though no part of the character should be in shadow yet. But I doubt that is fixable at all.

For example, when tree shadow is on top of the player sprite, part of the character would be in shadow at that post even though it shouldn't be:

ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Saphy is right, but I don't think we aim for such realism in a old school 2D game
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:Saphy is right, but I don't think we aim for such realism in a old school 2D game
But most of the games I have been getting ideas from have been old school 2D games made by Square or are similar to games made by square :shock:

1993 Secrets of mana (Seiken Densetsu 2)
1994 Tales of phantasia
1994 FF3 US (FF6 Japan)
1995 Secrets of evermore
1995 Seiken Densetsu 3
1995 Chrono Tigger

Anyways, I'm looking for ideas that reinforce the idea of an invisible canopy above the player, Perhaps a few branches hanging down and I wouldn't have any problem with them being sharp or they can even be blurry as if your looking past them focusing on the landscape.. its strange
how an object can both be pushed and pulled by being blurry (same thing with sharpness)Image

But as a general rule sharp objects will tend to pull froward blurry will tend to be pushed back

Secrets of evermore used a similar effect to that of branches hanging down

Only problem with doing this kind of effect, is the canopy layer would have to move slightly slower than the map layer when the player walks, Is this even possible (even on the new server)?
Pixel Battalion
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

This could be done with an overlay effect. They support parallax scrolling.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Crush wrote:This could be done with an overlay effect. They support parallax scrolling.
Parallax scrolling, thanks I didn't know what the actual name for it was
Pixel Battalion
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Here one concept, in the space at the top you can put the blurry landscape, hope this be somehow useful :)