[FND]forest tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Pauan
Novice
Novice

Re: forest tileset

Post by Pauan »

Crush wrote:Hmmm, with that vines on the cliffs and the new trees by Saphy it looks less like woodland but reminds me more of a jungle. What do you think about developing the tileset further in this direction?
And who's to say we can't have both? ;) By making the vines a separate tile we could easily have both. A similar technique was used in games such as Chrono Trigger and SD3. I agree it is looking more like jungle though, and actually I saw it as such a while ago.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

I started to break up the base of the cliff, which I hope will help it blend into the ground
Pixel Battalion
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Pauan wrote:
Saphy wrote:I tried to create some bush tiles:

Somehow, it seems repetitive. What have I done wrong?
Absolutely nothing. Whenever you go above a certain complexity it becomes impossible to tile a tile well. In this case the solution is to have 2-4 tiles, similar but each one slightly different. Even SD3 had to use this technique all the time because tiling something like that with only one tile becomes impossible.
I see. I have created 2 very similar tiles:

a Image
b Image

Tiled with one tile:
a Image
b Image

Tiled with both:

on grass/dirt:

Like this, right?
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Saphy wrote: Image

Like this, right?
See, now doesn't that look much nicer? :) If you really want to go overboard you can make a third tile, but personally I think this looks great.
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

Yeah. wow.

I just learned something from watching that. Thanks guys! :D
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Jetryl wrote:Yeah. wow.

Hmmm? Learned what..? :?
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

Pauan wrote:

Basically some stuff related to drawing leaves. It's hard to put in spoken language.

It also really helps to cement the notion that "one tile", no matter how well done, simply will not suffice for filling a large area; there have to be a few variations in order for it to look organic. I'd been strongly suspecting this in my own work, and this is just another confirmation of it.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Jetryl wrote:
Pauan wrote:

Basically some stuff related to drawing leaves. It's hard to put in spoken language.

It also really helps to cement the notion that "one tile", no matter how well done, simply will not suffice for filling a large area; there have to be a few variations in order for it to look organic. I'd been strongly suspecting this in my own work, and this is just another confirmation of it.
Yes, I came to the same conclusion some time ago with the dirt tiles (but I lost the version that worked the best, so I'm going to need to make some new ones) :cry:

and curse you for making me watch Gurren Lagann now I can't stop watching it ><
Pixel Battalion
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I've stated this for years, but 2 is the bare minimum and 5 the ultimate maximum for sensible variation. Personally I'd recommend a pool of 3-4, out of which 2-3 should be used per usage scenario for more distinct local looks. I think our mappers are going to be extra happy now when there is finally going to be variance available for some tiles.

A bit offtopic, but would not hurt to have it in our older tilesets either (and they're in the process of getting retouched sometime anyway).

I hope Len's productivity scales up as much as the action in Gurren Lagann... :twisted:
This message used to be meaningful.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Rotonen wrote: I hope Len's productivity scales up as much as the action in Gurren Lagann... :twisted:
Believe me if I could abandon my crappy part-time job and work on The Mana World all day, I would!
:twisted:
Pixel Battalion
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Len wrote:
Rotonen wrote: I hope Len's productivity scales up as much as the action in Gurren Lagann... :twisted:
Believe me if I could abandon my crappy part-time job and work on The Mana World all day, I would!
:twisted:
I already abandon my work and studies... :) I just needed a break. So block wall tileset is the result. Btw Gurren Lagann is highly addictive (like cigarettes and coffee :P).

sorry for OT.

Len: you should also work on cave entrance embedded in your rock cliff. And paths between different levels.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

i wrote:And paths between different levels.
Please do. No current cliff set has them and they look strange with the current method. And these new cliffs don't look like they could even do that method,
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

(1st Cave attempt)
I think I have a lot more work to do on it :x
Pixel Battalion
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

There is something wrong with this stone:

The dark color tells my eyes that it is a vertical surface, but then the perspective would be wrong. The perspective would be correct when it were be a horizontal stone. Is it supposed to be horizontal? In that case it should have the same brightness as the other stones on the surface.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Also, could you make the entrance a bit wider? I mean yeah it works fine as it is, but it seems like a really tight squeeze for our current playerset. :? Shifting the bottom rocks over a tad should solve that problem. :) Oh and the single green line at the bottom of the rocks looks unnatural. Try removing small chunks of the line to make in more organic. You should see green (moss) growing on the bottom of the rock, but a single line just looks weird. ;)