[FND]forest tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Len
Knight
Knight

Re: forest tileset

Post by Len »

i wrote:
Len wrote:Image
Thanks, but it took surprisingly little effort on my part
Pixel Battalion
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Len wrote:
i wrote:
Thanks, but it took surprisingly little effort on my part
Well, that's teamwork. I just made concept inner rings in inkscape, you added details and textures. And of course Saphy's brilliant plants. I got some other ideas. For example hollow in big trunk which could be used as shelter / home. Maybe I will design outlines in inkscape - that is kinda good tool, it helps a lot to keep good perspective of tiles.
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Nice trunk. ^_^

I finally got around to make a bigger plant. At first, I was going to make a bamboo bush based on my little tree on flower pot (what is it called again??), but it is gone before I could draw it. So I am making this based on my bush tile. This is what I have so far:

And with higher contrast and shadow:

And I just made a quick patched-up small tree:

The leaves were just brushed on, so it isn't as detailed as I like. Is the shading done correctly? Somehow, it seems as if the perspective is wrong.
Last edited by Saphy on 18 Mar 2008, 05:04, edited 3 times in total.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Saphy :shock:

:o
The leaves were just brushed on, so it isn't as detailed as I like. Is the shading done correctly? Somehow, it seems as if the perspective is wrong.
I think the base of the tree is whats doing it (try extending the roots towards the viewer some more)

other than that, OMG! OMG! I must learn how you make such nice plants :shock:
Pixel Battalion
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Len wrote:Saphy :shock:

:o
I think the base of the tree is whats doing it (try extending the roots towards the viewer some more)

other than that, OMG! OMG! I must learn how you make such nice plants :shock:
Extending the roots towards the viewer?

Anyway, the shading on the leaves is mind blogging, so I tried to fix it up:

Is this version better?

I am using Modanung's SimpleTree as reference:

Anyway, I really should go to bed. :p
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

The ellipse at the base of the tree needs to match that of the top (the start of the vegetation)
Pixel Battalion
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Like this?

It still looks weird.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Saphy wrote:Like this?

It still looks weird.
Heres an example (I superimposed my old tree base on to your tree, I'm lazy :lol: )
I also shortened the tree slightly (the truck looked a little to long for such a small top)

You'll notice that the base of your original tree almost ends in a straight line giving it a head on view (that is compared to the top of the tree) rather than a slightly top down view

I have come to hate my old grade school art teachers, they would give you the lesson but never tell you how it was important or how it could be used. They would make us draw geometric shapes and they never said anything about how this was useful. But I know now, its to help you better envision perspective by braking objects down to their basic shapes.

It should now be clear why your tree looked off
Pixel Battalion
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

I see. I will start with remodeling the trunk first. This is what I have so far:

Is the perspective alright?
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Saphy wrote:I see. I will start with remodeling the trunk first. This is what I have so far:

It is still incorrect. You need more shading at the base. In other words: the closer to the ground the tree gets, the darker it gets.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Pauan wrote:
Saphy wrote:I see. I will start with remodeling the trunk first. This is what I have so far:

It is still incorrect. You need more shading at the base. In other words: the closer to the ground the tree gets, the darker it gets.
:? :?: :!: explain
Pixel Battalion
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Len wrote:
Pauan wrote:

:? :?: :!: explain
The farther an object is from a light source, the darker it is. Since the sun is up high in the sky, that means that the closer you are to the ground, the darker you become. The reason it looks like the tree is bending backwards is because there is too much light near the roots. By darkening the areas closer to the ground, you fix that error.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

The farther an object is from a light source, the darker it is. Since the sun is up high in the sky, that means that the closer you are to the ground, the darker you become. The reason it looks like the tree is bending backwards is because there is too much light near the roots. By darkening the areas closer to the ground, you fix that error.
With a light source such as the sun it hardly makes much of a difference, actually the closer to the top of the tree the darker it would become. Because some of the light is obstructed by the vegetation of the tree.
Modanung's tree is a good example
Pixel Battalion
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Len wrote:
With a light source such as the sun it hardly makes much of a difference, actually the closer to the top of the tree the darker it would become. Because some of the light is obstructed by the vegetation of the tree.
Modanung's tree is a good example
True, the difference is subtle. But it is still there. Our eyes are complex enough to tell when that subtle difference is there... or not. Also, that only applies when the tree actually has foliage. ;)
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Pauan wrote:It is still incorrect. You need more shading at the base. In other words: the closer to the ground the tree gets, the darker it gets.
Why would the trunk get darker just because it is closer to the ground? O_o

Anyway, I have made the part closer to the ground darker:

And with the leaves:

Or if the base wasn't darkened:

Last edited by Saphy on 19 Mar 2008, 05:08, edited 1 time in total.