[FND]forest tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Len
Knight
Knight

[FND]forest tileset

Post by Len »

Most of what I currently have are concepts, and I'm still working on various aspects (seeing what works and what doesn't). if any one wants to help, please do!
Last edited by Len on 14 Oct 2008, 17:13, edited 5 times in total.
Pixel Battalion
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The moss in the first picture would be a nice addition. But it looks not very tileable and I am not sure if the color isn't too bright.

I would consider your new dirt texture more as an addition than a replacement of the old dirt texture. Yours looks more like wet mud while the old one more like dry and solid dirt. Both could coexist in my opinion.

The shape of the trees in the 3rd image from above look too artificial in my opinion. The texture also looks more like random noise than tree leaves. I like the darker color scheme better than the light one.

The other trees that dominate the last image have a much more natural shape. But they look more like something from a swamp or jungle environment. I think the things hanging from the underside of their treetops gives me that impression. It might also be the green trunk.

The fern bushs look quite repetive on the last picture. How about creating a tileable fern pattern instead of using them as stand-alone objects?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Crush wrote:The other trees that dominate the last image have a much more natural shape. But they look more like something from a swamp or jungle environment. I think the things hanging from the underside of their treetops gives me that impression. It might also be the green trunk.

hows this?
Pixel Battalion
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The right side of the trees in the last picture melts with the grass below it so that it looks almost transparent. I think changing the hue of the trees or the grass slightly could solve the problem.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Crush wrote:The right side of the trees in the last picture melts with the grass below it so that it looks almost transparent. I think changing the hue of the trees or the grass slightly could solve the problem.
I hadn’t even noticed until you pointed it out :?
Pixel Battalion
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I noticed that you used some dark accents in the left side of the trees but none in the right part that melts with the grass. adding more of the darkest color in that part would improve the shading and maybe fix the problem with the background, too.
  • NOT a game master

Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Crush wrote:I noticed that you used some dark accents in the left side of the trees but none in the right part that melts with the grass. adding more of the darkest color in that part would improve the shading and maybe fix the problem with the background, too.

The dark accents are core shadows and sharp holes in the tree leaves(which would appear darker on the left side where the light source is hitting it), actually it might help for me to add reflective color on the right side.
Pixel Battalion
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

welcome to the proper light nigthmare :(
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Here is something I was working on till Wal-Mart stole me away….

Last edited by Len on 06 Feb 2008, 04:37, edited 2 times in total.
Pixel Battalion
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Sweet. Nice rock!
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I guess those rocks are meant as cliffs. They look great, but how do they tile?
  • NOT a game master

Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Crush wrote:I guess those rocks are meant as cliffs. They look great, but how do they tile?
Poorly, but they are more of a concept than actual tiles...But it might work as a corner tile
Pixel Battalion
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Refer to work by iru when it comes to using rock.
This message used to be meaningful.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Strump
Novice
Novice

Post by Strump »

:D