[FND]forest tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Re: forest tileset

Post by AxlTrozz »

Saphy wrote:Sorry, I didn't take the size into consideration before. Here's a bigger version:

This took me 1.5 hours, whereas the previous brown tree took me 2 hours. It doesn't look as good as the small version though. Adding texture is time consuming. >_<

As for the previous trunk, I hope it can still be used for small tree perhaps?
These trees are the perfect transition between Forest and Snow Village, if you add the Pine trees is exactly how it looks from summer to winter, also could be use a couple of colorful leaves.
The floor should be more brown not green and then some white spots here and there, off course several Rocks from Len's contribution, because the floor is more exposed ;)

In other words, we can create a whole new map based on that tree

Saphy, I like this tree a lot !
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Personally, I believe we should be more careful when mixing and matching objects from other maps. (We should always take the time to rework them a bit to fit the map they are being used in)
Mappers

Creating maps is a task that does not require much experience but is a great way to add more value to the game. More information about how to map can be found on the article Mapping Tutorial. Be sure to check out our Map development guidelines, too.
(taken from wiki)

The more I study the maps of more professional games the more I realize just how false this statement is
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
back on subject
I was thinking of adding some grassy spot tiles for the dirt tiles, but I'm starting to think I should move onto the water tiles and special effects tiles (this way we can get to the testing and refining stage of development sooner)

(current water concepts)
Pixel Battalion
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

How to animate the water or should we even animate the water at all is a topic we have not deeply touched so far.

Either come up with a quick conclusion here or split it off into an another topic.
This message used to be meaningful.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Rotonen wrote:How to animate the water or should we even animate the water at all is a topic we have not deeply touched so far.

Either come up with a quick conclusion here or split it off into an another topic.
The problem is water can be animated in so many different ways, I personally believe it would depend on the body of water being animated (obviously a motionless pool of water would differ from the ocean)

(Taken from the TMW World Revision Proposal http://holymana.freeforums.org/brave-ne ... -t158.html)
Here I was thinking about repeating waves near the shore

I finally separated the cave into two layers (now I just need to align everything)

Also what do you guys think of the shadows on these rocks?
Last edited by Len on 03 Apr 2008, 02:06, edited 3 times in total.
Pixel Battalion
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Also what do you guys think of the shadows on these rocks?[/quote]

i think that shadowed version looks much better :)
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Not bad, but I'd like to see shadows a little bit more rightward.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Small update the cave is aligned and working

ElvenProgrammer wrote:Not bad, but I'd like to see shadows a little bit more rightward.
hows this?

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/3812 ... ingtk4.png
Pixel Battalion
otacke
Peon
Peon

Post by otacke »

Damn! This looks brilliant!
Shaili (a.k.a. tds)
Novice
Novice

Post by Shaili (a.k.a. tds) »

A good work. My appreciation ;)
Ingame I am: Shaili, Lv. 9X

Image Proud Italian TMW Player

Image You can find me on Last.fm
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I am currently trying to adopt some tiles by len and saphy to enhance the current woodland tileset.
The old tiles which fit the new tiles least in my opinion are the high grass tiles.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Crush wrote:I am currently trying to adopt some tiles by len and saphy to enhance the current woodland tileset.
The old tiles which fit the new tiles least in my opinion are the high grass tiles.
I say we are better off redeveloping the woodland

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/3812 ... ingtk4.png
(nothing is nicer than tiles that are made for each other)
Pixel Battalion
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I understand that you don't want to work under the restriction to fit your new tiles into the organisation of the old tileset.

But you are still far away from delivering a complete own tileset. So what's wrong with adapting your work to the old tileset to improve the graphics on the short term? We can still trash and remap the whole woodland area when you are finished with your tileset.

Oh, and for something completely different: I think you should put objects like the plants or the rocks on transparent background so that they can be placed on different ground tiles (both by the mappers who use them and by other graphic artists who want to adopt them to new tiles)
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Crush wrote: But you are still far away from delivering a complete own tileset. So what's wrong with adapting your work to the old tileset to improve the graphics on the short term? We can still trash and remap the whole woodland area when you are finished with your tileset.
your correct (but just so long as its for the short term)

Oh, and for something completely different: I think you should put objects like the plants or the rocks on transparent background so that they can be placed on different ground tiles (both by the mappers who use them and by other graphic artists who want to adopt them to new tiles)
I believe they are, I just haven't posted them yet. my main concern at this time is finishing the ground tileset and I've come to the sad realization that more tiles are needed for the cliffs so they can be utilized in any direction.
Pixel Battalion
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Crush wrote:I understand that you don't want to work under the restriction to fit your new tiles into the organisation of the old tileset.

But you are still far away from delivering a complete own tileset. So what's wrong with adapting your work to the old tileset to improve the graphics on the short term? We can still trash and remap the whole woodland area when you are finished with your tileset.

You are still using the old version of the small tree O_O

The version you are using has wrong perspective.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I've used those you posted on page 17. Can you please point me to the corrected version?
  • NOT a game master