Character sprites

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

My ears perked up when i found IDraw is free... what are the pros and cons?
...And perhaps most importantly, though it is designed for X Windows is it possible/feasible to get a version that works with Windows XP?
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Sure we will be very pleased to get your help, have you got something to show?
Yuuki
Novice
Novice

Post by Yuuki »

hey guys!!

here's a side animation i've making ^^

this image looks weird, but it is a 10 minutes made animation

then i made tuis, I fixed the weird leg and added a cute hair :o

PS: sorry i cant make materias for TMW during this month cause in not im my computer, no connection (... well a 56k that looks like 28,8k...) but i'll make loots of things when i go back to my city ^^
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

first one head looks kinda big and black outline

but the second looks fine...

dunno if 2nd is the first but with hair if so then its fine afterall
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Update, since I imagine people have been wondering where I am and when the rest of my spritesheet is going to appear:

Life has kind of been exploding of late. My grandmother has just recently had spinal surgery, so we're spending all day every day (when not at work) over at her place while she recovers (no worries, she's doing well and recovery is going smoothly). Upshot of this: I'm not capable of accessing my computer the vast majority of the time. This is, of course, shitty timing, since I was planning on submitting a full (or at least, as full as we currently need) sheet by the next release. Just to allay any fears, I have no intention of leaving the project; even if I do at some point, I'm not going to leave behind an unfinished sheet. If everything goes as scheduled, we will no longer be going over to my grandmother's house by sometime next week, which will mean I'll finally have time to siddown and slam this stuff out. I had a little bit of working time a few days ago, and was able to put together a new version of the sword and bow, which I'll use in my attack animations.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

neko-mon, it looks kind of nice. The animation is very smooth and all, but the feet don't seem to be lifted. And the character is drawn exactly from the side, I think the camera should be higher.
I suppose the shading isn't ready? Yet even if it'll be finnished I'm afraid I'll still like Talaroc's dude way better.

...I agree the hair is cute. ;)

Talaroc, great to hear something from you, still looking forward to the final product.
I think I already wished you luck with your grandmother... if I didn't. I wish you and her luck. ;)
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

Neko-Mon wrote: then i made this, I fixed the weird leg and added a cute hair :o
Though they're almost certainly going to use Talaroc's player sprite, the hair that you made could be useful - not only did you draw it well, but you also animated it's bouncing effect very nicely.

In fact, please do make a "north" animation of that hair sprite (south is easy - you could get away with one frame).
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

re

Post by Bear »

Well, this may not be the right area to post this, but i think that would make a great moster... a little bit of edditing... a little purple shading... ZOMBIE child XD
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

good idea, actually. that'd also be possible another application of the new player model, make it pale -> ghosts, make it various shades of green and yellow -> a whole zombiefied village (together with some "zombie childs"?) that maybe could replace a few of the regular villages on events like halloween (as a kind of easter egg. i dont think zombies would fit too well in the "regular" gameplay. then again i havent looked in the planned areas yet - is there some kind of swamp or something in the works? then it would fit)
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

Tal hope it all goes well then. Get your real life problems done before you even think about worrying about this. But hope to see it in the coming releases.
Necromus
Peon
Peon

Post by Necromus »

Well, I made some models with iDraw in my free time...
http://www.filehigh.com/serve.php?u=1823&i=27509&t=.png

Maybe I could help out, just tell me what's needed and in my free time I could put it together.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Looks nice.

I only think that the gorilla suit is a bit too dark, it's completely jet black.
And the shirt could use a bit more dithering to give it some structure.
Maybe some more shiny spots on the metal.
The hair is a bit smooth too.

But nice axe.

Oh, and I think this is the wrong topic for this. :)
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
_darkKnight_
Peon
Peon

Post by _darkKnight_ »

Necromus wrote:Well, I made some models with iDraw in my free time...

Maybe I could help out, just tell me what's needed and in my free time I could put it together.
I like that
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Necromus wrote:Well, I made some models with iDraw in my free time...

http://wiki.themanaworld.org/NPC_development
nym
Novice
Novice

Post by nym »

Thats nice (i like it quite a bit), except we need to stick to the same style of graphics. We really need artists to collaborate to create a universal "The Mana World" style. Currently we have lots of sprites which are made by different people using different styles, while this is good when lobbying to see which style will be used for final, its not good when everyone continuously creates different styled art.

While it is true different artists have different styles, but to make the game more immersive and consistent we will require a single style. You probably agree with me that we haven't seen a huge ammount of work being done on the graphical front of TMW, it has had a few additions and modifications, but has remained mostly static. We really need artists to collaborate to make TMW's graphic side sucessfull.

I am not criticizing any people in particular, nor am I trying to criticize anyone's artwork; I am trying to get things working a little smoother. It may take a bit of disipline, but i think you artists can collaborate to create some awesome graphics for TMW. :)
YOU ARE READING THIS!