Character sprites

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

neoriceisgood
Peon
Peon

Post by neoriceisgood »

Elven Programmer wrote:
neoriceisgood wrote:My god you people are slow, If you don't feel like doing it just do what I did and abandon ship, It's easily done in times of need; As long as you warn the folk that you have the tendency of doing so;

What exactly is the hold up anyway? anatomic structure during animations?
I'd prefer that you don't suggest our artists to leave us, it's really awful to see you working against us :x
If you didn't have the patience to work on a project, that doesn't mean all other people are like you.
That was supposed to make them work faster, I'm not good at this whole "coaching" thing, I have patience by the way; I just have big trouble in school, I kinda slacked off and need to work on like 8 project thingies so I just can't possibly work on any art.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Uuugh...

Ok, May 18 is here, and...not tonight. There's still finishing left to be done, and I grossly miscalculated when I'd have free time. As it turned out, I had three finals today, with all the accompanying "getting ready time" beforehand. I've been working on the sprites, and will do whatever it takes to have a finished sheet (finished, as in including: walking, standing, sitting, and swinging a nonexistant sword, all in all four directions) tomorrow. I'd be more interested in getting them in tonight, but as of now I haven't slept in over 34 hours.

So yeah. Back sometime tomorrow with sprites.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Take it easy, your exams are more important than keeping up with self imposed deadlines. Talk about it with Jetryl too, he offered to help with character sprite by PM but pointed out he would do so after his exam period.

Btw this is the latest currently used character sprite sheet:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/t ... &view=auto

I'm not sure if it matters to you in which direction the different frames are layed out while editing, I basically changed it because I thought a single frame was rectangular, but even that wouldn't really matter in the end. I reduced the size of each frame to 64x64 to be able to fit it on a texture no bigger than 1024 pixels. If more frames need to be added we'll figure out a way to keep it within 1024 pixels, maybe by using two rows for each direction.
Kineticstorm
Novice
Novice

Post by Kineticstorm »

Talaroc wrote:So, my deadline is May 18. Expect a spritesheet before then, and if it's not done by then, I give you all permission to beat me with reeds. :wink:
You gave us all permission to beat you with reeds.
I have mine ready! :twisted:
I love you too. :)
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Bjørn wrote:Take it easy, your exams are more important than keeping up with self imposed deadlines. Talk about it with Jetryl too, he offered to help with character sprite by PM but pointed out he would do so after his exam period.

Btw this is the latest currently used character sprite sheet:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/t ... &view=auto
I've been working a bit with Jetryl, but what remains to be done is just grunt labor. Besides both of our exam periods end on the 23rd, after which I'm offline until the 29th.

What are the last two columns in that spritesheet used for?
Kinetic wrote:You gave us all permission to beat you with reeds.
I have mine ready! :twisted:
Yeah, now you've just got to find me. :wink:
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Talaroc wrote:What are the last two columns in that spritesheet used for?
The last is the dead frame, and the one before that is currently unused I think but seems to be a frame where the player gets hit.
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

well i think we need a bit more frames .. not now but later

like when player falls asleep and varous attacks
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
fmct
Peon
Peon

Post by fmct »

I don't think you need frames for states as sleeping. You can use status bubbles, like the ones in FFVI. If the character is asleep, a "Zzz" bubble appears over his head. That way the artists wouldn't need to do that much of work.

Still, I think frames for when casting magic spells are too nice to discard them. :)
LeoStrife
Peon
Peon

Post by LeoStrife »

well guys i was playing your 0.0.12 version and i wasnt sure if i was going to keep playing but after all the work i've read through in the forums and the ever better looking sprites i have to congratulate you guys. at first glance this looked like some cheap ragnorak imitation but after all... 9 pages i read through the sprite designer was really comitted to giving out quality work i will be staying around to see the new sprites since they look better than i could have ever imagined for some PC MMORPG thats free.

~congratulations guys wonderful job~
Kineticstorm
Novice
Novice

Post by Kineticstorm »

LeoStrife wrote:~congratulations guys wonderful job~
Yeah, what he said. :)
Talaroc wrote:Yeah, now you've just got to find me. :wink:
Nah, too lazy but thanks anyway. 8)
I love you too. :)
LeoStrife
Peon
Peon

Post by LeoStrife »

lol the deadline is coming up is it safe to say the sprites may have to wait till version .14?? ... im gonna ask Bjorn whom i meet in game to help pin ya down while i get the reeds ready :evil:

:lol:
come and visit me peeps at:
http://www.myspace.com/LeoStrife
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Well there is no actual deadline for it, from my behalf there is only the requirement for quality.. :) And what's the hurry on the long run, really? ;)
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Well... we need it before we can make clothes, hair styles, weapons and everything... so there is some sort of hurry.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Boy, do I love computer problems.
Boy, do I also love being caught away from my connection when I don't expect to be.

Grr...

Anyhow, here we go. Something went funky with the sword swing sprites, but the stand/walk/sit set is DONE. I put placeholders in place of the now-missing sword swing frames. The frame size is 30x60, encompassing everything in the sheet except the little markers separating the frames.
Sprites:

Sheet: Image
Forward walk: Image
Backward walk: Image
Sideways walk: Image

Hopefully, this is in time for the new release. If not, well, there'll be a more complete sheet (notably including attacks, getting hit, death, and possibly even a female version of the sheet) for the next one.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Nice :o :wink: