Character sprites

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

neoriceisgood wrote:Someone might want to de-blur that sprite, It's good for both filesize and for making it easier for people to edit it for clothes etcetera.
Actually, that was deliberate - he carefully antialiased all of the edges to make it better blend into the background, and also to eliminate the more jagged curves along the edge. Given that he only used two or three different levels of transparency, and only used them at the points where edge lines are diagonal, it should (re: does) actually compress very well with png.

This is an advanced technique, designed to eliminate the harsh edges that occur when you go against the grain of a square pixel system - I believe it is used by Ragnarok Online, to help their little sprite people blend in with the rather differently constructed environs rendered behind them.

Not to mention, but, uhm - people won't actually be editing this sprite for clothes - clothes will be overlaid on this sprite as a separate image, since people will be buying multiple articles of clothing and having several of them actually displayed in-game, a la Diablo (one feature this game will have over the original SOM).

So, that would be a bad thing to do. :|
neoriceisgood
Peon
Peon

Post by neoriceisgood »

Alright, I myself mostly make clothes directly ontop of the sprite so that I can emidatly see if it looks good or not, And paint doesn't have layers.
treo
Peon
Peon

Post by treo »

you should consider to use the gimp (gimp.org), it is completly free (as in freedom but as well as in free beer :D) and it has many features that can be of use for you.
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

Jetryl wrote:
neoriceisgood wrote:Someone might want to de-blur that sprite, It's good for both filesize and for making it easier for people to edit it for clothes etcetera.
Actually, that was deliberate - he carefully antialiased all of the edges to make it better blend into the background, and also to eliminate the more jagged curves along the edge. Given that he only used two or three different levels of transparency, and only used them at the points where edge lines are diagonal, it should (re: does) actually compress very well with png.

This is an advanced technique, designed to eliminate the harsh edges that occur when you go against the grain of a square pixel system - I believe it is used by Ragnarok Online, to help their little sprite people blend in with the rather differently constructed environs rendered behind them.

Not to mention, but, uhm - people won't actually be editing this sprite for clothes - clothes will be overlaid on this sprite as a separate image, since people will be buying multiple articles of clothing and having several of them actually displayed in-game, a la Diablo (one feature this game will have over the original SOM).

So, that would be a bad thing to do. :|
if the clothes part was directed at me I know that. I was just bored and dont think im good enough to make clothes for the game anyways.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Talaroc or Jetryl, can you maybe find out a way to communicate with me or Rotonen, or just come to the IRC channel, so we can talk about the progress of the playerset and what is needed to be improved?
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

treo wrote:I modified the original sprite set to use this sprites,
as you can imagine the hair doesn't fit really anymore.

As you can see the guy is a bit to thin when he is ingame:

If he is streched a bit he looks better ingame:
Um...actually, I think the original still looks better. Bear in mind, this is the sprite for every character, from the most macho of warriors to the (physically) flimsiest of mages. We can't have it looking like a linebacker. The proportions used are roughly equivalent (really as close as I can get at that scale) to actual average human proportions.
treo wrote:You should also keep in mind that you have only 4 pics for each direction and movement and not 6
Since when? The guidelines in the wiki as originally laid down by (I believe) Bjørn say otherwise.
Elven Programmer wrote:Talaroc or Jetryl, can you maybe find out a way to communicate with me or Rotonen, or just come to the IRC channel, so we can talk about the progress of the playerset and what is needed to be improved?
I'll do so when I get a chance. The last couple of weeks have been crazy, but it looks like that's dropping off now, so I'll have time to get to work again.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Great, looking forward to seeing the complete player sprite.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Talaroc wrote:
treo wrote:You should also keep in mind that you have only 4 pics for each direction and movement and not 6
Since when? The guidelines in the wiki as originally laid down by (I believe) Bjørn say otherwise.
I can't remember whether I said anything about it, but we did try several different amount of frames on the wiki and it's mainly up to the artists (for example Talaroc) to decide how many frames they want to use. Our current character uses 4 apparently, but there is no good reason to stick to that as the code can be adapted.

See: http://themanaworld.org/wiki/index.php/ ... evelopment
Chetic
Novice
Novice

Post by Chetic »

neoriceisgood wrote:Alright, I myself mostly make clothes directly ontop of the sprite so that I can emidatly see if it looks good or not, And paint doesn't have layers.
Speaking of which, will we get some clothes soon?
It's cold at night you know...
Quote of the year:
<Sull> the diff with GPL and priced software,GPL is faster to install cause you dont have to put a crack/serial

xD
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Well today I was assured we will have new playerset in 0.0.14, so I guess we could try to add clothes in 0.0.15.

Chetic: be sure to add your signature to the quotes on wiki
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

...Night? :?
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

http://www.idleworm.com/how/anm/02w/walk1.shtml

I found this one which could maybe help in improving side walk animation.
jukio
Peon
Peon

Post by jukio »

Hey have you guys ever used the program RPG2000 its got the kind of sprtes youd want and you can get idraw and make characters like that and if you wanted you could also make some face sets. Just a suggestion.
jukio
Peon
Peon

Post by jukio »

and if you guys dont mind id like to help you out with the character sets if you want im pretty good at those
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

re

Post by Bear »

I think that players should be able to choose atleast what their eyes look like :o

Because if everyone had the same eyes.... its just freaky