Character sprites

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Talaroc wrote:Bjorn: I like it. A lot. :D In fact, I'm willing to agree with you and Kyokai; this animation is done. If you could send me the individual frames, I'll start slapping them onto a spritesheet, and working on the other directions and female version.
Maybe you could first pass me your frames? I modified your animated gif which doesn't contain the alpha layer of the frames and as such this version only looks good on a light background because it fades to white.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

It's done but what about differend body builds? Thin - normal - fat ? We could be the first MMORPG ever to have different sizes in clothes. The body build could perhaps be based on your current monetary status to say that one is poor or rich? :)
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

I don't think so...

That's 3 clothing sets for every piece of body equipment, and people go from rich to poor pretty fast in an MMORPG. This is ok in 3D games where you can just scale the clothing, but it won't work well for us.
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I do understand the triple amount of work. Just bouncing around ideas ;) Well perhaps we could do a really twisted approach on this and introduce cosmetic surgery into the world: if you're really really rich, you could change yourself into a really thin or a fat person? :) That way there wouldn't have to be EVERYTHING in three sizes, just some pieces, preferrably the most expensive ones.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Indeed. We're allready going to have male/female, different skin colors, dynamic clothing/equipment, and customizable hair and faces. I don't think we really need different builds (although I did think about it earlier, but it would just mean too much work--we'd also have to restrict what people could and couldn't wear just based off their body type.
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

Talaroc wrote:Indeed. We're allready going to have male/female, different skin colors, dynamic clothing/equipment, and customizable hair and faces. I don't think we really need different builds (although I did think about it earlier, but it would just mean too much work--we'd also have to restrict what people could and couldn't wear just based off their body type.
How are we going to handle male and female body types, by the way? Are we just going to make 2 sets of each equipment? Or have double the number of equipments and make them gender specific?
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Two sets of the equipment that would be effected should work fine. This means shirts, pants, and some armor would be doubled, but very little else (I'm only going to make the minimum changes necessary to the sprite to make the female version; the only changes are going to be in the area between the chest and hips). We could either make the effected items gender-specific, or just have the sprite change depending on the character holding/wearing them (ie, when a male character holds this shirt, it uses the male shirt sprite, and if he gives it to a female character, it starts using the female shirt sprite). I don't really care either way.
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

when will we have these in-game ?
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

As soon as I finish them all and the devs get a chance to update, I should guess. On that note, the finalized character set for standing/walking south is ready, and is also in the wiki.

sprite: Image
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

how are the other walking sets coming?
View the Systems
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

I'm working on the left/right walking set now. Haven't had a whole lot of time to work on it of late.
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

well you can do it !
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Heh, thanks.

And in that spirit, here's what I've got so far. Bear in mind, it's completely unshaded and unsmoothed. I'll wait to do those things until I've got some feedback on the overall design.
sprite: Image
SuriKatta
Peon
Peon

Post by SuriKatta »

Very, very nice...

Good, steady walking movement, there, too, but I can see that it still needs a little bit of tweaking. Although, the overall design is constant and well done.

Good job :D
.draHooTgniyrTerAuoY,sihTgnidaeRerAuoYfI
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

The torso seems a bit stiff?