Character sprites

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

the sidewlak sprite has ears and the southwalk not
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Rotonen: the torso's been what I've been having the most trouble tweaking...do you have any suggestions?

Maci: I'm working under the assumption that the ears just wouldn't show up in the southbound version. Can't avoid them in the side one; that would look odd.
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

It looks fine to me. Let's get this one shaded and have the north walk done before the next week is out. :D
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Good idea.
Sorry this all's been taking so long, folks. Hopefully, action sprites won't be as prolonged, since I'll have all the standing/walking sprites to base it off of.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Sidewalking: The torso should twist a bit along with the arm movement..? Try walking in front of a mirror and keeping your torso completely motionless and stiff, looks funny :)
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

I see what you're saying. I'll try and work that into the shading, as it's a bit too subtle a movement to be done in the outline.
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

Talaroc, can you post the side walking sheet and make a mod of the front walk to get a back walk? This will let our artists start working on some clothing, hair, and weapon animations. I can mod the sprite for extra faces, races, genders, and so on if you like, so you can get right to work on the fighting animations.

If you can do it as soon as possible, that would be nice, so we might be able to have our new sprite wearing that cotton shirt by 0.0.11. :D
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

I'll give 'er a shot.

I've been monumentally busy this week; work's been eating my soul (I work in theatre tech, and we're doing a big show). Next week's spring break for me, so I'll either get tons done or nothing at all. Heh. I'll upload those two anims as soon as I can.
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

How is this? I got a bit bored and thought I'd give it a try, since I need to start working on a few clothing sets. You're free to fix it up however you like, it's only the outlines that are really important to me, so I ask that you don't change them.
View the Systems
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Well it need a lot of shading and the shoulders look a bit weird. I'd like to see the animated version too.
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

Elven Programmer wrote:Well it need a lot of shading and the shoulders look a bit weird. I'd like to see the animated version too.
this is only so I can make hairsets and clothing sets, Talaroc will do the finished version later, I'm sure. I just want some outlines to go on.
View the Systems
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

well i guess we need even more sprites .. fot the spell thingys and for dieing and all this stuff
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Sorry Kyokai, but I think I am going to have to do some editing on the sprite outlines.

For starters, the first and third sets you posted don't include the png transparency, and I haven't even done the outline smoothing on the side ones. The are also some minor fixes that need to be made for the standing frames of the last three sets, and a fair amount of changing done to the third set (not the least of which is the fact that, even without the shading, his legs are still stepping towards you). And of course, I still need to attend to the shading on the side sets.
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

ah well...

I'll wait a bit more before I continue pixel arts for the characters then.
View the Systems
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

Kyokai - don't feel discouraged. Just because you make mistakes doesn't mean it's not helping.

Anyways, I would note that you guys might want to shrink the forehead back one or two pixels for the sideways frames - right now this fella is looking to have quite a big head.