The World Needs Tilesets

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Maybe not extending Trade City to the northern cost, but settlement, yes.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

dabe wrote:I suppose this could be describing an increase in height when you get near the northern coast, but that's not to say that it couldn't be very flat until you get there.
*I know I didn't include a color-key with the map to indicate ground type, but I guess I figured it spoke for itself. The trade city is on plain-type terrain..
This will be a quite challenging mapping job. You can neither use a lot of trees nor very high cliffs. And too many rivers or lakes would look strange, too. This means a huge lack of physical barriers. And using too many farms would declassify the future farming town.

It will not be easy to create good and diversified maps with the tiles that are left. Zipon, do you think you can do this?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

What about just one big river crossing from north to south allowing a navigational path and the city can be divided in north and south side (like two cities but acting as one trade city) using the river to transport all goods, allowing space for all sort of conditions
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

North of Trade city there could be large pastures with grazing animals and some scattered houses/barns/whatever. It wouldn't break the farm town too much.
zipon
Novice
Novice

Post by zipon »

AxlTrozz wrote:What about just one big river crossing from north to south allowing a navigational path and the city can be divided in north and south side (like two cities but acting as one trade city) using the river to transport all goods, allowing space for all sort of conditions
i like the idea of the trade city to be split up in to parts.
Crush wrote: This will be a quite challenging mapping job. You can neither use a lot of trees nor very high cliffs. And too many rivers or lakes would look strange, too. This means a huge lack of physical barriers. And using too many farms would declassify the future farming town.

It will not be easy to create good and diversified maps with the tiles that are left. Zipon, do you think you can do this?
Crush i think i need to finish my hill map first, but i can try to make some concept maps in tiles to see what is working and what we are going for at in this part of the world, or do you have some photos of it
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

zipon wrote:i like the idea of the trade city to be split up in to parts.
I think if we're going to split it up, we should do it in quadrants and maybe call them districts. East and west can be separated by a river or stream, while the north and south can be separated by the highway that runs through the city. It'd be neat to have NPC caravans running on the highway.. (NPCs could offer caravan guard jobs to players.) 8)

I'm going to have some time to work on some of the area information tonight, so maybe we can start moving some of this to the wiki by tomorrow. I think what we've decided so far is that for the most part, we all seem to like the suggested style for the houses, so I think it's safe to begin building a tileset for houses. The question remains, how do we incorporate business and academic/guild buildings in to this? Will the buildings all share the same general appearance, or should we make separate tilesets to express sort of an urban/suburban boundary? For that matter, should each district have distinct tilesets?

Perhaps all of the businesses are in the same style, but are larger and have living quarters above them. This would account for some of the NPC residency, so we can leave more houses vacant for players to occupy.

Since we're already getting down to specifics about what we want the entire city to look like, we'll probably just begin planning its layout soon. Until a more preferable name is chosen, I'll just be calling it "Trade City"..

Regarding the elevation of the general area, especially the north coast; how does everyone feel about placing abruptly high cliffs to the north of Trade City to give it a bit of a buffer from the northern sea? The river that bisects the city can begin there, as a large waterfall. If this area were a valley, that river could be its lowest and most central point.