Evil Eyeball Monster

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

Len wrote:A floating eyeball seems a little generic to me
It might be fun to place it on a Player Sprite head and have it pulsate
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/136/3800 ... 05.jpg?v=0
Perhaps if the nerves are still attached to the back end it would seem less generic? If the nerves are long enough and touch the ground, they might even look like they are giving somewhat of support for the eyeball.
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

I have not done the back side yet, but I plan on extending the veins all the way around so they will meet in the back to be a big conglomerate of veins.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I felt like experimenting with the eyeball theme, too:
Just a quick hack-job to test the concept. I think it will be very easy to animate.

Background: Usually summoned by evil wizards as a guard creature. When it is summoned it stays stationary and observes the surrounding. The summoner may command the creature to contact him/her telepatically when it observes a specific event he/she described beforehand (like "someone comes through the door" or "the prisoners are no longer in the cell"). It can not decide on its own if an event is important enough to report it or not. So it will only inform its master when the event exactly matches the description. This allows smart adventurers who know the instructions to outsmart it.

Behavior: It attacks player characters on sight. Mid level version (Name: Spectator) is stationary. High level version (Name: Observer) is mobile but very slow moving.

Battle tactic: Attacks on long range with magic. When the enemy gets into melee range it bashes the enemy with the eyeball. This attack doesn't do much damage but pushes the enemy away and has a chance of causing status effects because of the creepy and disgusting experience of bouncing off a huge, wobbly eyeball.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

That is awesome Crush! This is exactly what I was hoping for; something new innovative that has potential for new features in the future.
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

5t3v3 wrote:If the nerves are long enough and touch the ground, they might even look like they are giving somewhat of support for the eyeball.
Why not just make the nerves tentacles, give the thing a mouth and call it a beholder. :P ;) Seriously though it's not bad, but I would tend to agree with Len that floating eyeball monsters are a bit generic. However, lots of the stuff that I've written so far has been intentionally generic.. so I suppose it's sort of fitting in that respect.

SoM had eyeball monsters, both stationary and floating.. "Eye Spy" summoned those Chobin guys and "Wizard Eye" moogled ya. I can't remember what the floating ones were called or what they did.
georgm
Peon
Peon

Post by georgm »

Maybe the veins should pulsate instead/as well? That might make it look more angry.
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

well as long as we're tossing in ideas, here's another one. the eye rolls over the ground, and makes 1/4th of a turn on each tile it moves, so if for example it moves towards you it only sees you once ever four tiles. When it does see you however, it gives you a tremendous amount of damage, perhaps even instant death? So when there's just one, it's very easy to avoid, but when there's more then one all moving in different directions, it's total chaos. One problem though might be by changing directions, the monster would have to turn on it's tile first, and only then start to move in another direction, otherwise rolling could sometimes stop to affect the position of the pupil. (for example if the eye faces south, and he suddenly moves west, then the eye would constantly face south)
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Doing that does have other problems. If the eye moves less than four tiles (or anything not divisible by four) and stops, the pupil would move to face front even though thats not what should happen. It's a limitation of the animation system and fixing it would add unneeded complexity. A way around this would be to have six identical pupils so the effect would be unnoticeable.
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

jaxad0127 wrote:Doing that does have other problems. If the eye moves less than four tiles (or anything not divisible by four) and stops, the pupil would move to face front even though thats not what should happen. It's a limitation of the animation system and fixing it would add unneeded complexity. A way around this would be to have six identical pupils so the effect would be unnoticeable.
Having six pupils kind of defeats the purpose of making it fun to avoid them, because you would never be able to walk past them then and they'd cut you in. Also, not all four steps would be problematic, if the eye stops facing up or down, and then changes direction, it doesn't really provide a problem.

But either way, I was just brainstorming, throwing ideas, nothing that I would desire to push trough specifically.
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

I like the idea of creatures not being able to see you when you're out of their field of vision, but wouldn't that be something that could apply to any creature with eyes? Maybe exploiting a creature's field of vision is common and these eye monsters are nearly impossible to sneak past; being that the eye is obviously its dominant trait, shouldn't it be its greatest strength rather than its greatest weakness?
gorcho
Peon
Peon

Re: Evil Eyeball Monster

Post by gorcho »

it's good work but yeah its kinda generic, many games have these eyeball monsters, like ragnarok online have eyeballs with wings and are called beholders...
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

When you have any more creative ideas then feel free to post them.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Actually to some extent everything has been done before (its going to resemble something), the important thing is to reinvent an old idea which Crush has done
Pixel Battalion
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Funny enough I happen to have drawn a floating eye monster a long long time ago. (It hasn't been modified since December of the year 2000! (I was 12!!)) :)
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
GonzoDark
Warrior
Warrior

Post by GonzoDark »

Modanung wrote:Funny enough I happen to have drawn a floating eye monster a long long time ago. (It hasn't been modified since December of the year 2000! (I was 12!!)) :)
Nice, (a little small but nice) but how does it attack?
Will it stare me down? hehe

// GonzoDark
IchigoBlack (86) a.k.a GonzoDark (80) || HolyManaClan