Chef npc!

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Chef npc!

Post by Crush »

Maybe you could combine the two designs?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

You mean like this? I also added some white on the top of the hat, because it looked grey instead of white.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

It starts looking really good. I think the facial hair wasn't a bad idea. You should maybe consider readding some.
5t3v3 wrote:I like the idea of NPC have the same basic body as players, and only distinguishable by clothing and name. Makes it more realistic.
Although basing NPCs on the normal player sprites is a good idea for the sake of consistency it should not stop artists from doing some modifications at the base sprite to make NPCs look older, younger, more or less muscular, taller or shorter than the player characters to give them a more distinct character. Good examples for this are the hurnscald lumberjack (older and more muscular than the PCs) or the winter village cloth seller NPC (who looks less like a warrior type).
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

He got some hair now:

Edit:
And after a bit "cooking":
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

Unless they're really busy and food is flying around the kitchen, I doubt you'll see anything on his shoulders... :)

Regardless, it looks really good. And I'm glad the spoon was dropped... you're more likely to find a knife in his hand than a spoon... unless he's a pastry Chef... :)
- Leeor

"Oh, no thanks. I ate a boulder on the way in." - Shrek
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Leeor, keep in mind that it isn't important to make the character look like a chef looks in reality but rather how people think that a chef looks.
  • NOT a game master

EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

The knive may need some extra work, maybe I'll do it tomorrow, or maybe not :P
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

Honestly, I liked the chef with the spoon rather than the knife.
it isn't important to make the character look like a chef looks in reality but rather how people think that a chef looks.
Exactly Crush.
IRL chef's may use a knife more than a spoon, but a knife makes him look like a chef gone postal.
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Is it just me, or is the chef covered with blood and dirt? Or was he having ketchup?
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

Crush wrote:Leeor, keep in mind that it isn't important to make the character look like a chef looks in reality but rather how people think that a chef looks.
I suppose you have a point... it's just that to me a chef being drawn with a spoon makes him look more like a cook... and being called a cook is a slap in the face when you're a chef... ;)

But I know when it's time for me to take a back seat... :mrgreen:
Saphy wrote:Is it just me, or is the chef covered with blood and dirt? Or was he having ketchup?
It's actually pretty common to be covered with blood (and sometimes fish guts) when you're working on or near the production line... I'll tell you -- a full-sized sea bass has a lot of blood left in it even after it's been gutted... I should upload a pic from when I was working on one of those... lol.
- Leeor

"Oh, no thanks. I ate a boulder on the way in." - Shrek
andyms
Peon
Peon

Post by andyms »

EJlol wrote:Image

The knive may need some extra work, maybe I'll do it tomorrow, or maybe not :P

Thank you for finishing my work lol

I'ts really cool, i love the new clothes!

Better than my chef :wink:

See you
Andyms.-.
Learning pixel art. LOL
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Spoons are hard to draw:
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

leeor_net wrote:
Saphy wrote:Is it just me, or is the chef covered with blood and dirt? Or was he having ketchup?
It's actually pretty common to be covered with blood (and sometimes fish guts) when you're working on or near the production line... I'll tell you -- a full-sized sea bass has a lot of blood left in it even after it's been gutted... I should upload a pic from when I was working on one of those... lol.
Well, maybe for ametuer chef. My grandma gutted fish alive (after stunning them of course) without a taint of blood anywhere but the sink, the same with slaying chicken since chicken's blood is the most valuable.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Again the chef with the knive. (I just like it better then the spoon). Does it still look like he is gone postal?
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

Getting rid of the overdone (IMO) food on his clothes was a good move. But I still think that the knife doesn't look correct.
But I think I figured out what makes it look wrong, he's holding it in his right hand, in a way that looks threatening.
But andyms' version is in the other hand, and I think that was a good move.
Perhaps could you try putting the knife in the other hand? Maybe that would make him seem less like he's about to fight. Or else he could hold the knife in a different position, that would make the knife seem like a passive object.

But I guess if everyone else thinks the knife looks fine, I'll go along with that. :|
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-