Icons

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

The framerate in any modern console game is usually 50 or 60 FPS (depending on the local TV standard). And we don't have that kind of blending you get when filming a movie on film so only 24 frames per second are enough..
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Huh. Well, just to test, I watched the framerate while playing some of my SNES ROMs (same style of game, so I figure it's a fiar comparison), and I didn't notice any choppiness until it got down to about 35 or below; average was 40, and that looked perfectly fine to me. A lot of modern console games need the best framerate they can get, but I would argue that's because their graphics are that much higher quality, so choppiness would be that much easier to see.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Of course you can't just look at the framerate. Besides the framerate what also matters is movement speed. While 35 frames per second may be enough for sidescrolling, for me it's enough for mouse movement, and related things like windows being dragged around by the mouse.

Same with movies, as long as it's gentle movements the 24 fps won't matter, but when the camera or scene moves faster, particular when making a turn, things just go visually too choppy.