Object Set design! Easy art jobs for the casually involved.

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Object Set design! Easy art jobs for the casually involved.

Post by Kyokai »

I'm not a pixel artist, but I want to make some sort of contribution to help speed up the art development (especially tileset and equipment set). Anyway, I've devised a few object sets (the items that populate the tilesets, either for flavor or as interactive objects.) Object sets aren't bound to a specific area or map, and can be added in anywhere as event triggers, interactive items, or simply flavor. To create an immersive world, we need alot of unique objects. For this reason, I've created this thread and the samples below to give those casually interested in pixel art a chance to show their skills and make a real contribution.

The items that appear, in top left to bottom right order are:
First picture:
wooden door, jail door, castle door, windowed door, future door.
Second picture:
ancient tome A, ancient tome B, cupboard/wardrobe, closed average book, open average book, big bookshelf, small bookshelf, book stand

These were made with MSPaint (ghetto fabulous, eh? :D). They're in PNG format, but not really ready to be put into TMW yet (they don't have that cool alpha layer thing, and they probably need some touching up). Anyhow, just something to get us thinking about how we can all help with tileset development in a modest way (even non-pixel artists). The template I used for these is below. Why not download it and make your own additions to this element of tileset design? (These only took an hour apiece. It's super-easy) :D

Template:

if you want to upload your object sets to the site, I recommend http://www.imageshack.us. It's fairly simple for first time uploaders, and requires no subscription.
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Maester Pixel
Peon
Peon

Post by Maester Pixel »

You say your not a pixel artist but what I see infront of me is infact pixel art, is it not? Anyway nice work none the less.

Now back on subject. Are these tile sets going to match up with the new character sets, which Talaroc is designing?
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Maester Pixel wrote:Now back on subject. Are these tile sets going to match up with the new character sets, which Talaroc is designing?
Well they're supposed to. :-)
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

Maester Pixel wrote:You say your not a pixel artist but what I see infront of me is infact pixel art, is it not? Anyway nice work none the less.

Now back on subject. Are these tile sets going to match up with the new character sets, which Talaroc is designing?
:D Thanks for the complement.

Anyway, in their present form, these sets won't match up with the tilesets or character sets. The idea is that with only a tiny bit of tweaking, they will. By building a large object set base now, we can accelerate the development when the time comes.
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.