Snow Tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Lecter
Novice
Novice

Snow Tileset

Post by Lecter »

Hi everyone I'm new to Tiled and I would like to work on the snow area, I would like to work with tile artists that wanna do some mountain/iced forests/caves/geysers and hot springs tiles.

Also I'll need someone to help me learn tiled and find the tile repositories...
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Snow Tileset

Post by Rotonen »

Snow tileset revision is a topic which has stood around for a while.

So do I get to see any volunteering pixel people in this thread?
This message used to be meaningful.
Lecter
Novice
Novice

Post by Lecter »

Just give me access to the current tile sets done, and I'll gimp work somethings, I'll finish my ubuntu installation of tiled later.
I had a great idea of an opened cave (giant hole from above) where u would descent around with a giant christmass tree inside, once at bottom it would had been a small village.

Just to know is monster teams (monsters fighting monsters and monster allying unallying players) implemented in this?
And it would be nice to make some ffxii season effects (when entering a map, give x% chances to be in map Summer.map and (1-x)% to be n map Winter.map. Thats easy to program and would really be appreciated by players, I already made a little poll.
And I might need some particule workies to make snow storms and randow wind blowing light snow effects (same can apply o sand)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Lecter wrote:Just give me access to the current tile sets done, and I'll gimp work somethings, I'll finish my ubuntu installation of tiled later.
I had a great idea of an opened cave (giant hole from above) where u would descent around with a giant christmass tree inside, once at bottom it would had been a small village.
Sounds a bit too cheesy for me.
Just to know is monster teams (monsters fighting monsters and monster allying unallying players) implemented in this?
No, there is nothing like that implemented.
And it would be nice to make some ffxii season effects (when entering a map, give x% chances to be in map Summer.map and (1-x)% to be n map Winter.map. Thats easy to program and would really be appreciated by players, I already made a little poll.
It would not make sense in an MMO context when the map looks different for each player.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Shaili (a.k.a. tds)
Novice
Novice

Post by Shaili (a.k.a. tds) »

Tiles are already available via SVN.
Ingame I am: Shaili, Lv. 9X

Image Proud Italian TMW Player

Image You can find me on Last.fm
Lecter
Novice
Novice

Post by Lecter »

Crush I dint mean that you would be in a different looking map,

I see you didnt play ffxii

here is how it work

Player Exit map x by its exit a that lead to map y
That is replaced by this
Player Exit map x by its exit a, hence he got g% chances to enter map y and (100-g)% chances to enter map z
map z isnt map y, its not like map testing where u rename ur map with same name
Players wont be in the same map in the eyes of the game, one will be in map y and one in map z, to get into map z the player of map y will have to exit/re-enter the map again and again until he reach map z and not map y.
Of course map z and y will have the same number of exits leaving to the same other maps.

I'll give an example from ffxii:
There is an area that have 2 seasons, rain one and dry one, at first during game u see this area during dry season, monsters are low levels and u can go everywhere, however when u enter/leave this area there is chances to come during the other season, at wet season, monsters are harder, the area is flooded so you cannot go to half the places you could during dry season, yet you can enter and exit this area, since it has the same access spots, and when you come back you can get during dry season again. In ffxii there is a hunt where you must get in this area during wet season to find the bounty monster.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Lecter wrote:Crush I dint mean that you would be in a different looking map,

I see you didnt play ffxii

here is how it work

Player Exit map x by its exit a that lead to map y
That is replaced by this
Player Exit map x by its exit a, hence he got g% chances to enter map y and (100-g)% chances to enter map z
map z isnt map y, its not like map testing where u rename ur map with same name
Players wont be in the same map in the eyes of the game, one will be in map y and one in map z, to get into map z the player of map y will have to exit/re-enter the map again and again until he reach map z and not map y.
Of course map z and y will have the same number of exits leaving to the same other maps.

I'll give an example from ffxii:
There is an area that have 2 seasons, rain one and dry one, at first during game u see this area during dry season, monsters are low levels and u can go everywhere, however when u enter/leave this area there is chances to come during the other season, at wet season, monsters are harder, the area is flooded so you cannot go to half the places you could during dry season, yet you can enter and exit this area, since it has the same access spots, and when you come back you can get during dry season again. In ffxii there is a hunt where you must get in this area during wet season to find the bounty monster.
That isn't good either. If two people are traveling together, they could end up on different maps. Weather should be server side.
Lecter
Novice
Novice

Post by Lecter »

Ok, then perhaps depending by where you enter a map, (if u enter by the east its summer, by the west its winter)
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

Ok, then perhaps depending by where you enter a map, (if u enter by the east its summer, by the west its winter)
This still doesn't solve it, if two players enter from different positions and have different maps, there is still a conflict when they meet each other.

If seasons should be implemented, it should be fixed for all players alike. Perhaps something more along the lines like, all even days of the month season 1 and all odd days of the month season 2?

Even then there's still a problem, what happens to player who is inside the map at the moment of change?

Anyway, as much as I loved the concept while playing FFXXII, I simply don't see this work for a multiplayer game.
In game characters: "5t3v3" and "L "
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

Rotonen wrote:Snow tileset revision is a topic which has stood around for a while.
I was hoping this would stay on topic, and focus on new snow tiles, but it appears to have drifted.

Here is the tileset currently in SVN.

There was a thread back a while ago by Len making an evergreen tree, I don't know if it got finished or not ever.http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3255& It would be a shame to lose that tree.
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
Lecter
Novice
Novice

Post by Lecter »

btw the season stuff have been set in suggestion, and its more "oriented graph managing" related topic, a player still in a wrong season tile would simply stay there, but once he leave the map... we'll manage where he goes.

Thanks for the snow tiles, do you think you could take some sand patern ground tiles and turn them into snow? That would give us bit more grounds, also I think I'll try to resize the pine so I'll have mini taiga looking pines easily.

I've been thinking to put new maps at the right or left of current snow town, an area of perhaps 8-14 maps, without counting that I'll need to make multiples of them depending of seasons, here is the little plan I have

c-c-c-d-d-d
a-b-b-b-c-c-c
c-c-c
e-e-e
e-f-e
e-e-e

a:snowtown area
b: snowy walls area (could add falling ices that would hurt players under them to make it difficlt o pass, and wind effects, pushing players)
c: snowyforest area, could put a maze there (like to pass is up up left right, and to turn back any time is down)
d: an area nearer the sea with a frozen tower
e: a season affected forest
f: entrances to connected caves that would go even to cave-snakes

Though to make f an impressive looking map, with a giant hole with trees at the bottom descending into the cave systems with couple exits around the e area and second and third level of caves going to the current forest snake cave.
Lecter
Novice
Novice

Post by Lecter »

to do it you must first make bit more light in front of the tree (frost will reflect more)
then I modified it through 100 blue and 10 green.

Those frosty trees would be great in themaze area, to add a more scary look, I think the d area might be great if it would leed to some icy structure, and the bottom of the f cave should have a gnome/dwarf village.

Sorry it seems it didnt render the ascii map in horizontal, buy the idea is that the forest maze can lead to the d area and the f area.
Attachments
added a more frosty tree,
added a more frosty tree,
morelightasnowtreepz7.png (75.65 KiB) Viewed 3605 times
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Lecter wrote:to do it you must first make bit more light in front of the tree (frost will reflect more)
then I modified it through 100 blue and 10 green.
It looks a bit off to me. Maybe some more green and red and less blue.
Lecter wrote:Sorry it seems it didnt render the ascii map in horizontal, buy the idea is that the forest maze can lead to the d area and the f area.
You mean like this:

Code: Select all

c-c-c-d-d-d       
a-b-b-b-c-c-c
        c-c-c
    e-e-e
    e-f-e
    e-e-e
(In the future, use [ code ] and [ /code ] (without the spaces) to get correct rendering, also watch the space count as everything will have the same width)
Lecter
Novice
Novice

Post by Lecter »

I've put a new version of it to its left, the new version seems more into sunlight while the old one seems to be during night.
Of course it is blue/white, the tree is frosted.
Must admit new version is much better, worked only the blue on the light tones, so the light seems bluer, and I made it a level more bright before turning it blue.
Attachments
morelightasnowtreepz7.png
morelightasnowtreepz7.png (75.59 KiB) Viewed 3577 times
Red Lord
Novice
Novice

Post by Red Lord »

I think the first changed one looked better for places that have very light snow, while the second one would be better in a blizzard area.
Formerly Blacklord