Snow Tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Snow Tileset

Post by 5t3v3 »

Lecter wrote:btw the season stuff have been set in suggestion, and its more "oriented graph managing" related topic, a player still in a wrong season tile would simply stay there, but once he leave the map... we'll manage where he goes.
Well that's a problem still. If one stays during the change and another exits and reenters, then suddenly both are at the same place but at a different place at the same time. Do they see each other? Are they on a different map altogether? Can one see the other running at places that he himself cannot access?
In game characters: "5t3v3" and "L "
Lecter
Novice
Novice

Post by Lecter »

Ok, if you dont know about oriented graphs or data structures, plz dont stay there is still a problem...
Like I said the subject is set in suggestion forum, this aint the place to set this.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

5t3v3s complaints are absolutely valid. I posted the reasons in your thread in the suggestions forum.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Lecter
Novice
Novice

Post by Lecter »

Here is some bluish rendering for a more "icy night" effect.
Can anyone post the desert set, I would like turning those sand tiles into snow ones.
Attachments
Dont consider the grass tiles
Dont consider the grass tiles
snowset.png (43.72 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Lecter wrote:Here is some bluish rendering for a more "icy night" effect.
Can anyone post the desert set, I would like turning those sand tiles into snow ones.
You can extract them from client updates (details here) or browse SVN online (direct link to tilesets).
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Its a bit (huge understatement!) to blue IMO.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

When it is dark the human eye can only tell the difference between bright and dark and has trouble distinguishing between different colors. For that reason the world appears more grey the less light you have.

So when you want to create the effect of low light you have to lower the saturation.

By the way: We already got an overlay effect to create darkness. It was used during the 2006 halloween event. It is just a mono-colored overlay effect (4% red, 4% green, 10% blue, 59% alpha, to be precise).
[Screenshot 1]
[Screenshot 2]
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

Instead of making the tiles look different by overlayer, perhaps we could have blizzard with ambient effect similar to sandstorm? Anyway, I second EJ that it's to much blue.

I thought I'd give pixelart another try.
So, what do you think, improvement or worse?
effect I was going for:
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

I noticed after posting that the shades were more like lines as opposed to pits when comparing to the picture, so second try
Last edited by 5t3v3 on 29 Jun 2008, 00:46, edited 1 time in total.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Tiled:
There is a bright horizontal line which could use some grid breaking but besides that it is a quite nice tile.

Some variant tiles for breaking the monotony would be nice.
  • NOT a game master

5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

Yeah I c what you mean, I'll try and work on it. Thx for feedback
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Somehow reminds me of most of the Commodore 64 pixel art and static on analogue TV.

Could have a bit better defined shapes, even though it is powdered snow you are aiming for.
This message used to be meaningful.
Lecter
Novice
Novice

Post by Lecter »

Here is what we obtain if we resize 4 of them into 1, it give a color tile without patern thats not bad to work with.
Attachments
snowtileip9.png
snowtileip9.png (30.16 KiB) Viewed 2105 times
Last edited by Lecter on 29 Jun 2008, 02:03, edited 2 times in total.
Lecter
Novice
Novice

Post by Lecter »

Here is what I call post Tiling effect, after u made a tiled area to un grid it well, (particulary good if position is pixel base) you can use Gimp with confetis of water drop, darkening or other efects and apply it to the area, it give a personality to the area.

I admit this is a clumsy quickly done example, but if image editors would revise a map's background image in post production, it can give a much better rendering, particulary if the game goes in pixel positionning.
Attachments
snowtileip9.png
snowtileip9.png (190.13 KiB) Viewed 2105 times
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

Looks nice, but I think that post-tiling defeats the purpose of using tilesets in the first place. this means you'll have to save (and clients have to upload it) every map as a graphic image, rather then as a txt image that gives directions how to compose the different tiles.
Somehow reminds me of most of the Commodore 64 pixel art and static on analogue TV.

Could have a bit better defined shapes, even though it is powdered snow you are aiming for.
ok, how's this?
Better or worse? I think now they might be a bit to much defined shapes?