Karate Suit

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

LuCo
Peon
Peon

Karate Suit

Post by LuCo »

I had nothing to do, so I went on, doin' this stuff...
I know, it's not quite good and it's still looking too smooth and soft, but it would really be cool, if you could say something about my work. And of course also, wether it got some chances or not.

In the futur there will be attentions to the belt, so that this suit will look more flexible while movin', and also the shadder has to be done. Yes, I know it. :)

Hello and so...
LuCo
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Karate Suit

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Looks good for a base. It still needs to be shaded.
DeathKnight
Peon
Peon

Post by DeathKnight »

yeah it could use some work but overall its really good IMO i would love to see this ingame
"NO! its step, hip, step, pivot. Are you TRYING to piss off the volcano?"
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The animation will also need some more work. Most animation phases look almost identical.

Do you know how you can try out your spriteset ingame?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
LuCo
Peon
Peon

Post by LuCo »

No, I'm absolutly new in doin' stuff like that I just thaught it would be a cool idea.
So I badly have no idea how to try, but I really would like to.
Would be nice, if anybody could tell me, how to do so. :)

What work does the animation need, or doesn't that depends on me? If I'm able to do this as well I will do.

Hello and so...
LuCo
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

To modify resource files and check the effect ingame follow these steps:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =13&t=2617

Then you can replace the graphic of an item your character owns with the graphic of your new item. You should then see it ingame. That way you can easily check out how it looks animated.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
LuCo
Peon
Peon

Post by LuCo »

Ah okay, I will try it out right now. :)

Hope it looks good for the first time. *g*

But I got a question because of the shading of that suit. Does it have to be in an deep gray colour or just a little tip of gray all 'round the suit. Because it's definetly white, so I can't imagine how the shadder have to look like, maybe you could explain for me. Than I will try to do my best to make it look better than possible. ;)

Hello and so...
LuCo
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Light shades of gray do still appear as white to the spectator. I would suggest you to use a light gray as a base color. You should use pure white only for the highlights (when you use it at all - pure colors of any kind should generally be avoided in pixel art because they are eyestraining).

The darker you make the shadows the lighter will the bright areas look - it's a question of contrast.
  • NOT a game master

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

It would also be good if you could keep it pure grayscale so it can be recolored.
LuCo
Peon
Peon

Post by LuCo »

Okay, so I will do it in a shade of grey. That sounds nice to me too. I've never done that so thanks for your tips of pixel-art. :)

I tryed the suit in the game and since now you are right, it looks really awfull... *hehe*
But tomorrow it will become better!

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

jaxad0127 wrote:It would also be good if you could keep it pure grayscale so it can be recolored.
...although it would make sense to make the belt in a different recolorable color because the belt color is a rank insignia in many martial arts. There could be different karate suits which only differ by belt color. The suits with better belt colors should have better stats but should only be obtainable through quests (every quest should of course require the suit from the last quest).
  • NOT a game master

LuCo
Peon
Peon

Post by LuCo »

Man, you all got very great ideas, I never thaught about something like that, but first I will try to get a good enough shader at that cute suit. :D

Now, for my first try, I think it looks quite good. *lol*
But I got a problem with the lightnings... if the light comes from northwest, I don't really know where to put the highlights and the shadows. I tryed it and I know, thats the part under the belt is wrong, but I don't know how to make it better-lookin', because the belt also have to have a shadow.
Would be nice if you got some tips for me... :) "again" ;)

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

LuCo wrote:Man, you all got very great ideas, I never thaught about something like that, but first I will try to get a good enough shader at that cute suit. :D

Now, for my first try, I think it looks quite good. *lol*
But I got a problem with the lightnings... if the light comes from northwest, I don't really know where to put the highlights and the shadows. I tryed it and I know, thats the part under the belt is wrong, but I don't know how to make it better-lookin', because the belt also have to have a shadow.
Would be nice if you got some tips for me... :) "again" ;)

Light comes from south west. Make the belt a different pure color (red, yellow, green, aqua, blue, and magenta are the others) so it can be controlled separately.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

When you shade something you have to perceive it as a three dimensional object.

The light of a surface always depends on how it is angled to the light source. Surfaces which are facing the light source, like the left part of the robe below the belt or the left shoulder, are the brightest while surfaces which face away from the light source, like the right part of the right arm, are the darkest.

(I mean left and right from your point of view, not the sprites point of view)
  • NOT a game master

LuCo
Peon
Peon

Post by LuCo »

So... I tryed a new one with pencil at GIMP an also tryed it in the game. I think it looks much better and the shaddow looks really good... but in my opinion, now it looks a little bit too good. Don't know... it seems to be too smooth.
But have a look by yourself!