[REQ] Art repository usage

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

[REQ] Art repository usage

Post by Rotonen »

Can someone take responsibility of getting all of our art into our art repository on Gitorious and also organizing the structure of the repository into something sensible and usable?

Proposal:

/concept/
/concept/artist_name/
/concept/artist_name/project/
/concept/finished_projects/
/concept/finished_projects/project/

/pixel/
/pixel/artist_name/
/pixel/artist_name/project/
/pixel/finished_projects/
/pixel/finished_projects/project/

/sfx/
/sfx/artist_name/
/sfx/artist_name/project/
/sfx/finished_projects/
/sfx/finished_project/project/

/music/
/music/artist_name/
/music/artist_name/project/
/music/finished_projects/
/music/finished_projects/project/

Yes, it is a bit redundant and produces slight overhead. We could also have /art_type/project/artist/, but:
1) In my proposed way, we would end up with cleaned up finished and approved projects.
2) It's far easier to track who did what.
3) It has a clean and simple place for random inspired pieces from outside of projects in /art_type/artist_name/random/.
4) Nothing is preventing us from having a /random/ (or if someone wants it to ironically enough to be /b/, I'm fine with that too) under /finished_projects/ too.
5) Git should allow us to intelligently move/copy/merge/mangle/whatever stuff around upon need and approval.

Should we have a dedicated person upkeeping the archive?

At least in this system all of our art contributors should be encouraged to have access to our repository.
This message used to be meaningful.
octalot
Novice
Novice

Re: Art repository usage

Post by octalot »

First, thanks for pushing usage of source control.

What happens when:
A tileset is finished, and then new development starts to add more tiles to it?
Several artists are working in parallel on the same tileset (example: Freeyorp and Octalot on the cave_x2 stuff)?

I'm just trying to visualise, and a couple of worked examples would help me.
Retired from TMW; incomplete projects looking for a dev:
Cave foliage (plants up the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5659
Cave wetwalls (water down the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5816
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

IMO the most recent and used versions should always be in finished projects and all the in-development versions should be in the per artist hierarchies.

Yes, all the different development phases should be there to show how people do things for the new artists-in-training. No one is probably ultimately right about their workflow and people are different, but I'm seeing the reapable benefits of some hinters and pointers in there.

So in your scenario, the file in question in the finished projects hierarchy gets a change or a project in that hierarchy gets an addition.

And yes, the pixel art, sounds and music in finished projects are going to be duplicates of all the in-game content. The in-game content has a separate repository currently. This could be changed: we could just simply use our repo as the source of in-game content or the in-game content repo could be synced from our related topics in the finished projects hierarchy. I'm in favor of the latter alternative.

Also our practice of encouraging git usage would also allow artists to easily share the source files of their graphics/sfx/music instead of only the end result JPEG, PNG and OGG.
octalot
Novice
Novice

Post by octalot »

Thanks.

One disagreoement - for the in-game art with a source-file (such as an .xcf and .png pair), I think it would be sufficient to put the source file in to this repository, and the PNG in the in-game repository.
Cave foliage (plants up the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5659
Cave wetwalls (water down the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5816
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

octalot wrote:Thanks.

One disagreoement - for the in-game art with a source-file (such as an .xcf and .png pair), I think it would be sufficient to put the source file in to this repository, and the PNG in the in-game repository.
I'd prefer that too.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Rotonen wrote:Can someone take responsibility of getting all of our art into our art repository on Gitorious?
How about yourself?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Holidays going on, 2 sidejobs with imminent deadlines, girlfriend coming back to Finland in early January and 6 exams in January.

Earliest February, if no one else volunteered before that.
octalot
Novice
Novice

Post by octalot »

jaxad0127 wrote:
octalot wrote:for the in-game art with a source-file (such as an .xcf and .png pair), I think it would be sufficient to put the source file in to this repository, and the PNG in the in-game repository.
I'd prefer that too.
I've added some sources to tmwart (currently the octalot/for-mainline clone) with references to the appropriate tmwdata commits.
I think doing it in the opposite direction would be the right way to go (have tmwdata commits reference the tmwart SHA1 ids if there's a source file).