[GIT] Skeleton

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Len
Knight
Knight

Re: [WIP] Skeleton

Post by Len »

The Skeletons would probably standout best in the desert
Pixel Battalion
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

Haay gave me some suggestions to improve the sword attack swing on IRC. Here's what it would look like walking south in the desert, and attack me.
Attachments
skeleton-example-attack2.gif
skeleton-example-attack2.gif (27.05 KiB) Viewed 3010 times
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Wiki Page | Trello | Google+ Profile
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

I do not want to sit there, that skeleton is way to sneaky :P . The swordattack animation is a huge improvement.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The attack looks really good. But there is something wrong with the shoulders and upper arms in the walk animation. They look stiff.

By the way: When we put this ingame we will get outlawed in China because the Chinese censors have something against human skeletons in games. But dont worry, it's not like we should care. When we avoid the taboos of every single culture in the world there is not much we can depict anymore.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Attack animation reminds me one from Hero of Allacrost. But AFAIR HoA is under GPL. So indeed, its a huge improvement. My girlfriend said that leg movement "looks quite gay" :D Maybe you should change it a bit.
IMO also black outlines could be a bit lighter - contrast is too high.

ImageImage
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

LOL, that's the animation that Haay suggested I refer to for the animation. I didn't make any frame copying or mirroring. It's just a good one to reference!

And also...
i wrote:My girlfriend said that leg movement "looks quite gay"
Really? In what way is a particular movement "gay"?
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Fother J wrote:LOL, that's the animation that Haay suggested I refer to for the animation. I didn't make any frame copying or mirroring. It's just a good one to reference!
I wasn't suggesting coping, but only source of inspiration.
Fother J wrote:And also...
i wrote:My girlfriend said that leg movement "looks quite gay"
Really? In what way is a particular movement "gay"?
Leg stands too much to inside. It looks really funny and of course somehow "gay". Maybe skeleton could be painted pink ;D
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

No problem, I knew you weren't saying I copied :) , but I had to put that clarification out there just in case.

Bottom line on the other comment, there was a much better, non derogatory/offensive way that could've been said. Gay is not an adjective for stupid, silly, clumsy, frilly, funny, or effeminate. RFC 1855 is all i ask. Now I'm off topic. :mrgreen:
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

it seems like the skull is made out of a different material. Not just teh difference in color, but also difference in detail, smoothness, dimension.
In game characters: "5t3v3" and "L "
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

5t3v3 wrote:it seems like the skull is made out of a different material. Not just teh difference in color, but also difference in detail, smoothness, dimension.
I agree...
It might be best to make them larger and add slightly more detailed (its hard working with 1 or 2 pixels)
Pixel Battalion
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

5t3v3 wrote:it seems like the skull is made out of a different material. Not just teh difference in color, but also difference in detail, smoothness, dimension.
That's what they said about the Brontosaurus!

Hmmm... brontosaurus sprite, I wonder...
nitpickasaurus-pretest.gif
nitpickasaurus-pretest.gif (39.39 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
:lol:
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

I really like this. Some things that might help is that you could drop the shoulder joint by one or two pixels so the rib cage does not look so square. The other advice I can give is, after doing a couple of pants now for the player sprite, the thigh of the leg should stay fairly constant in size and make the shins shorter and longer makes for a better looking walking animation.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

Black Don wrote:Some things that might help is that you could drop the shoulder joint by one or two pixels so the rib cage does not look so square.
The shoulders do look better dropped down, though the reason they were up (and this is difficult to tell from the south or north facing frames) is that the skeleton's spine is bowed and it's slouching slightly foward, in addition to it's legs being bowed and arms being positioned forward to the sides for a predator stance, which would square off it's shoulders in appearance at a 45 degree angle, but too boxy looking! I've also sharpened the rib cage a bit for 5t3v3 and Len to match the skull's shininess a bit.
shoulder-change.gif
shoulder-change.gif (5.51 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
I know there were some questions of proportion to the existing player sprites, so I added that in for comparison... but everyone please keep in mind that I stuck with the existing skull for continuity... and for the possibility of having a variant skeleton that spawns a separate floating skull on death (as though the head popped off) for tmwserv. I don't think this is that noticeable, but if anyone wants to beef up the skull slightly or give a whack to some accessory skull frames that keep the look of the skull but are unique to the skeleton, please post 'em!

I have to go back and redo 13 frames now (that's just for the south walk and attack animations + stand) :cry:
Any final suggestions or changes for the south position before I consider this direction final and move on to the east-west frames? (of which the example E-W above is still in the works, since i have to make the arms stand out from the torso with a shadow and some lighting differences).
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
-Phoenix-
Peon
Peon

Post by -Phoenix- »

This Skeleton would be good for the event on 31 October ;)
Angeliex
Peon
Peon

Post by Angeliex »

Great work on the skeleton Fother J. I added my own tweak to it and gave it some color. Like you said, just helping out a neighbor ;)

Sorry for the white background.. I was too lazy to open gimp..
Attachments
The pelvis looks weird on my version
The pelvis looks weird on my version
Monter-Skeleton-Mockup.PNG (2.51 KiB) Viewed 2350 times
A pencil is an extension the arm.